Used 2010 Subaru Forester SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

2010 Subaru Forester SUV

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Good deal, but it really is noisy
By PhillySubie

2010 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I like the Forester -- it has everything we were looking for in terms of performance, room, and affordability and we have a much higher confidence in our family's safety with the AWD and high safety ratings. The glaring issue is the road and wind noise at 45 mph+. I don't think I picked up on it enough in the test drive. I feel like I'm driving a giant penny whistle, or camping on Everest. I expect/hope to get used to it, but Subaru really needs to work on this issue.

Favorite Features

handling, comfort, sight lines, overall safety, price.

Suggested Improvements

reduce wind noise at highway speeds

Rattle solution
By Dr.Trout

2010 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Immediately after purchase, my Forrester performed wonderfully at all speeds on an 1800 mile road trip and with better than advertised mileage. On a dirt road, I got carried away and came face to face with another vehicle on a sharp turn in sand with no way to stop in time. Took a very high bobsled bank on the right in sand and swooned down before my wife's heart had a chance to skip a beat. 2 weeks later a sudden rattle occurred on my way to work. In had put the plates on the night before. The rear one came with only 2 screws. Put 2 more in the bottom holes and presto, no rattle.

Favorite Features

Shifts well, much better than the Xterra, which I also considered. Boundaries of the vehicle are well defined and evident to the driver, so parking is easy. Good mileage.

Suggested Improvements

I would be nice if the arm rest came out a little farther. Slightly darker interior to hide the dirt.

Great for the $$$$
By Mark Mandell

2010 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

For awhile took some adjusting on my part because I often made the error of having the gearshift in the "sport" mode and was overtaxing the gas mileage by doing so. When I finally corrected that (grateful to my salesman for that) I simply shifted the gear to the correct position and that made all the difference. Being this car is an AWD and has the turbo feature, it handles all the roads very smoothly. Can even drive quite fast and wouldn't notice the difference. Not sure whether having a 5th gear would make a difference as many others have commented about. The factory installed radio is weak but I experienced the same thing with my last car, a Volvo.

Favorite Features

Driving at any speed and on any terrain, rear view mirror(good because it cuts out glare from vehicle lights behind). Like the turbo too.

Suggested Improvements

A 5th gear if in fact that would improve the gas mileage.

Love it
By gloria

2010 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I gave up an eclipse spyder gts for this SUV I thought I am downgrading but to my amazement this is just as fun as a convertible, drives really good, love the sunroof actually better than a convertible because I could still enjoy the sun without messing up my hair. The interior is a lot better compared to CR-V, rogue, and rav4. I am a very satisfied owner. I still have to wait for winter to see well it does but from what I heard it works really good. Love it! And I will recommend it to my friends. Thanks to the wonderful staff at ganley wickliffe Ohio. I did not feel pressured and was very accommodating. More power to you guys. God bless.

Favorite Features

all

Suggested Improvements

may include the ipod package and synching mode like the ford cars.

Forester won't disappoint. Sweet ride.
By Alex

2010 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Me and my wife just purchased a 2010 Forester on 5/8/2010. Color is pearl, auto w/sport shift, moon roof, 17 in wheels. I love my forester! I have only let my wife drive it once. I haven't run across anyone that hasn't liked Pearl. The Forester is liked by adults/children, men and women doesn't matter it's a great car and very liked or loved depending on your point of view. Love the moon room. The passengers love the space. I love the cargo area and the adjustable drivers seat! It handles like a dream especially on rough surfaces, tight corners and in the rain. You will not be disappointed. Sweet ride! Get one!

Favorite Features

moon roof, adjustable drivers seat, sport shift, space everywhere, safety and reliability, power, comfort and gas mileage in town is at 20.4 average. Sweet ride!

Suggested Improvements

A diesel version could save at the pump. Wow. Can't think of anything else other than it would be great if the car would have an adjustable seat for the passenger as well as included navigation system standard since my FORESTER seems to be a great city car and ready for the Open road! Get one!