Used 2010 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

1st time Subaru owner
By nkaena

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Always wanted a AWD car. I was impressed with the Forester and I went for it. I'm really happy with the choice.

The handling with the VDC on. Smooth and comfortable ride. Like the sun roof. MPG of mixed driving for me is 25. Can't wait to break it in then take it off-road. Youtube off-road videos make me wonder if the Forester can actually do those things. Visibility from the driver seat is awesome!

Road noise through the tires.

1st Subaru!
By Sperguy

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had the car a little over two months. Love the SUV-ish design. Car handles well. Very good mileage. The 5-speed manual is the way to go until they upgrade to what the Outback has for an automatic. Only negative is an overhead rattle. Being a pick-up driver for 25+ years, I was ready for some rattling, but this one IS ANNOYING. I'm currently working with the dealership to solve it. Waiting to see what Subaru will pay for. A local body shop can fix it no problem.

Lots of room. Skis fit nicely inside with rear seat down. My dog loves his space in the back. Yakima rack system integrates well with the fix points on the roof. Looking forward to some road trips this summer.

Better stereo, more sound-proofing to alleviate the rattling.

Good deal, but it really is noisy
By PhillySubie

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I like the Forester -- it has everything we were looking for in terms of performance, room, and affordability and we have a much higher confidence in our family's safety with the AWD and high safety ratings. The glaring issue is the road and wind noise at 45 mph+. I don't think I picked up on it enough in the test drive. I feel like I'm driving a giant penny whistle, or camping on Everest. I expect/hope to get used to it, but Subaru really needs to work on this issue.

handling, comfort, sight lines, overall safety, price.

reduce wind noise at highway speeds

Rattle solution
By Dr.Trout

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Immediately after purchase, my Forrester performed wonderfully at all speeds on an 1800 mile road trip and with better than advertised mileage. On a dirt road, I got carried away and came face to face with another vehicle on a sharp turn in sand with no way to stop in time. Took a very high bobsled bank on the right in sand and swooned down before my wife's heart had a chance to skip a beat. 2 weeks later a sudden rattle occurred on my way to work. In had put the plates on the night before. The rear one came with only 2 screws. Put 2 more in the bottom holes and presto, no rattle.

Shifts well, much better than the Xterra, which I also considered. Boundaries of the vehicle are well defined and evident to the driver, so parking is easy. Good mileage.

I would be nice if the arm rest came out a little farther. Slightly darker interior to hide the dirt.

Great for the $$$$
By Mark Mandell

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

For awhile took some adjusting on my part because I often made the error of having the gearshift in the "sport" mode and was overtaxing the gas mileage by doing so. When I finally corrected that (grateful to my salesman for that) I simply shifted the gear to the correct position and that made all the difference. Being this car is an AWD and has the turbo feature, it handles all the roads very smoothly. Can even drive quite fast and wouldn't notice the difference. Not sure whether having a 5th gear would make a difference as many others have commented about. The factory installed radio is weak but I experienced the same thing with my last car, a Volvo.

Driving at any speed and on any terrain, rear view mirror(good because it cuts out glare from vehicle lights behind). Like the turbo too.

A 5th gear if in fact that would improve the gas mileage.