2010 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Only had it for two weeks
By Tall in midwest on 11/02/09 10:59 AM (PST)

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the non-turbo limited; engine is satisfactory, my second Subaru, wanted the all wheel drive and legendary control on iffy roads. I needed all the extra legroom, the Subaru has 43.1, compared to 42.3 for CRV and 41.7 for Rav4. HOWEVER, the non-turbo model does not come with a telescoping steering wheel! This is crazy, because you cannot take full advantage of all the front legroom without a telescoping wheel, since if you do you won't be able to reach the wheel! I suppose it's ok if you're an orangutan but normal humans, no way. Inexplicable, really, since the Turbo models come with it. Arm rest too far back, too low, and too hard. Mediocre sound system, even with 6CD changer.

New Subie
By oxnardsubie on 10/28/09 08:17 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is our fourth Subaru. 02 WRX, 08 Outback, 09 STI, and 2010 Forester. If you know Subaru you know the beauty of Maximum Value, Reliability, and Safety! Did I mention a blast to drive as well. This car has the same dash as my STI and drives like an AWD car with slick SUV looks. Subaru did a great job with the new style! This car is driven primarily by my wife and she loves it! (So do I!) I'd rather have her in a forester than any other compact SUV or crossover. Go with the best get a Subie!

First time owner
By Cathy Lantz on 10/22/09 05:27 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Excellent visibility; comfortable drivers seats, panoramic sunroof is the best. Fuel economy could be improved; easy accessibility; radio is terrible; tinted windows could have been darker; fun to drive.

So far so good
By Hammerhead on 10/18/09 10:40 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My wife and I are "heavyweights" so we appreciate extra leg and hip room. The Forester has plenty for us. I like the peppy power train and tight turning radius. It's like driving a go-kart. More power than I expected from a 4 cylinder 170 HP engine. I think the fuel economy is great, We've gotten 33 mpg on the highway and up to 24 mpg in the city. That far exceeds the 22 mpg EPA estimate on the sticker. I believe that a 6-speed auto transmission would help increase the gas mileage even more. We have the "Limited" edition which has the upgraded interior, but the interior seems a bit cheap and thin plastic is abundant.

Excellent Visibility
By Larry on 10/17/09 06:22 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Researched this car for over a year and balanced it against the CRV, RAV 4 and Escape. Excellent visibility at all corners, fun to drive factor, AWD, vibration free 4cylinder engine and Subaru's reputation for quality won. Getting 24 to 24.5 mpg with 50/50 city/hiway mix.

Very Happy XT!!!!!
By korgtx on 10/17/09 04:48 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

Purchased end of July. Just reached 2,200 miles and first trip. My MPG numbers were as advertised. Great handling around town or on trip, have not been off road yet! Moon roof is huge, built very solid, no creeks or rattles yet! Great styling, right size for me, also very good turning circle for tight driveways and such. On test drive Turbo brought an instant smile to my face (first Turbo I've driven), plenty of power and solid handling on rough back roads. I'm very pleased with my purchase.

A Very Nice Ride
By Larry on 10/10/09 09:32 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

In my opinion Subaru has a peppy engine, AWD and much better visibility. It is fun to drive. With 800 miles driven in mixed city/highway conditions the car is averaging about 24 mpg. The dash readout inflates that number by about 1 mpg. The engine is exceptionally smooth, better than some V6 engines. Bad stuff: Passenger seat is too low. Radio is very good except I get some static in the low frequency range on AM. Best car I have owned.

Fourth Subaru in a row
By Steve on 09/28/09 05:03 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Two Legacies-- a 1990 and a 1997 (still great at 140K miles) and this is my second Forester. Bigger than the 2004 Forester (especially rear seating) and the styling is much nicer. Looked at all the rest of the bunch but loved the four wheel drive and the Premium comes with the gigantic moonroof, heated seats and a bunch of other nice things for not all that much more than the Base model. Very happy overall with Subaru's (my first replaced a Camry that was ready for the junk heap at 95K miles).

Enjoy the Ride
By CJ on 09/24/09 05:50 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Overall I'm happy with it. Decent MPG for an all wheel drive SUV without sacrificing to much in the power department. Grips the road (dirt and pavement) well! I can't wait to test her out in the snow this winter.

Somewhere between like and love
By blewgoose on 09/21/09 20:55 PM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

Writing this review after about 800 miles, and there are some awesome things about this car. One of my favorite things is the turbo engine. Offers PLENTY of passing power, merging onto highway, accelerating out of toll booths, etc. Some people mention they'd like to see a 5th gear, but I have had no problems at all. Much better engine than the CRV (sluggish and underpowered) and comparable in power to the 6cyl RAV4. Plenty of space inside and cabin makes sense as laid out. Panoramic moon roof is giant. Great feature. Handles wonderfully, and better than other, even higher-end SUVs I've driven. I didn't get the nav, so my stereo/accouterments are basic at best. No iPod interface is lame.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Subaru Forester in VA is:

$99 per month*