Used 2010 Subaru Forester SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

2010 Subaru Forester SUV

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Love it so far
By DtotheR

2010 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Had the car for about two months already and love driving it. Turning radius is awesome and it handles very well. I have two large dogs and love how Subaru has a gate to keep them in the back. The overall appearance inside and out are great. Power for a 4 banger is good. Overall am very pleased with this purchase.

Favorite Features

Accessories, All Wheel Drive, Leather is nice.

Suggested Improvements

5 sp. tranny, 6 cylinder engine and a way better sound system. Oh yeah.. and they need to do something about dampening the rattling when listening to music..

Good car for the money
By Cheryl

2010 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I love the outside styling of this car, and you sit up very high. Handles well on country roads, good pick up on the highway,you have to watch your speed. Have to warn you, the carpet is poor quality,almost looks like it is wearing out already, and it is brand new. I don't like the "velvet" texture of the doors, this too is hard to keep clean. Not the interior for you if you have dogs or little kids, it would drive you insane.

Favorite Features

The moonroof is AMAZING, the Ipod interface is fun,love how the car keeps track of how many MPG on the tripometer.Ave mpg has been 23 , but I do mostly country roads/stop and go.

Suggested Improvements

I have two complaint about this car. The quality of the leather seats (I am used to the outback, which is made in the USA, Forester is not) and the big complaint is the quality of the carpet. it is horrible, difficult to vacuum.

Perfect For Me
By PApassenger

2010 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I drove an Audi A6 so I was used to lots of amenities. I used edmunds.com to narrow my search to 5 medium SUVs. The trend in body styles seems to be lots of body in the back with a small window...looks good from the outside but feels claustrophobic inside and isn't helpful when you're trying to back up or merge onto a highway. That put the Rogue and Tucson lower on my list. I test drove the CR-V - nice. I left the RAV 4 till last - I expected to drive it home. But when I drove the Forester, I was impressed at how comfortable and spacious it was. The RAV 4 interior looks cheap by comparison. I bought the Subaru and drove it 2000 miles so far, including a trip to Canada. I still love it.

Favorite Features

Wide wheel base = stability. Small turning radius. Convenient interior storage. Great visibility. Heated windshield, side mirrors, seats. Hidden storage area over the full-size spare tire, under a sturdy cargo pad. Spacious cargo area. High safety ratings. AWD. Large moon roof. No rattles here

Suggested Improvements

Sluggish 4 spd - roars going uphill till it shifts gears. Cargo storage unit made out of Styrofoam? All in all I absolutely love it!

Sounds like a Diesel
By Jimmie

2010 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I go out in the morning start my Forester and it sounds like a diesel! After a minute or so of warming up it quiets down to a normal sounding gas engine. It seems that over night the oil must run off the major parts and in the morning when I first start it up it sounds like a diesel! I would have to say the engine is starving for oil, possibly or the oil is not heavy enough. Took it to the dealer they say they hear nothing out of the ordinary. Also, there is a loud whine from the rear end when applying the gas. And again the dealership could not hear this either.

Favorite Features

Like the AWD & the breaking system and the interior room.

Suggested Improvements

I would improve the excessive noise when first starting the engine. Also, the hood latch opening with a gasket to keep the weather out of the engine compartment. Radio. Correct the loud whining coming from the gears in the rear end.

Interior design needs improvement
By Franklin Marra

2010 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Driver's Seat Too Low! Test drove a manual front seat car but bought a power adjust seat. The seat does NOT go up high enough to see over the hood. In my area you need to look down at the pavement to spot potholes. I sit on a cushion to improve my view. Speedometer Stupid! The speedometer goes up to 150 mph. What are these designers idiots. The distance between 60 and 80 mph is one and a half inches. Which is the difference between getting a speeding ticket or not. Bad Spot For Tripometer. To set the tripometer you have to reach inside the steering wheel to press the reset button. When following Mapquest directions (ex. go 1.5 miles) this gets to be a problem.

Favorite Features

Excellent in handling turns and curves. Good pick up power. Good stability. Good cruise control. Good handling bumps and uneven roads.

Suggested Improvements

Lower the gear ratio for reverse. Reverse gear feels like second gear, I have to ride the clutch to go slow in reverse. Put a gear indicator on the instrument panel to show which gear you are in. Very unconventional, but my wife and daughter also drive the car. Similar to what an auto trans has.