2010 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
the rattlemobile
By canuck on 03/03/10 18:48 PM (PST)

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

the good - looks decent, good rear storage, lots of room for kids in back seat, decent towing capacity the bad - noisy engine, uncomfortable seats front, poor drink holders, well hidden heated seat controllers, stupid blue light over rear mirror, small controls for stereo and cruise. the ugly - the stereo is poor, but above all .... it RATTLES ! various cheap plastic components rattle under all conditions, the ceiling, the doors, the dash, the windows, the trunk, front heat deflector.

Mediocratic Platform
By Subesation on 03/03/10 07:06 AM (PST)

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

For a 2010 model SUV, this vehicle is lacking some basic features other vehicles in its class have. Comfortable driving position is one. The driver position is awkward with all the plastic parts sticking out reaking havoc on leg pain. Blue-tooth, the horrible sound system even with the circle sound on and the lack of auto on headlights. I enjoy the quality the subaru brand projects and thus far reliability is number 1. I have yet to get over 23 MPG even driving highway everyday. If your wanting to buy this vehicle its offroad ability is great, but the luxury interior is just not there! I don't have any rattling but considering the forester is mostly plastics I know its coming.

Very pleased first time buyer!
By Faltsan on 02/28/10 19:52 PM (PST)

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I traded in my '05 Corolla on 12/29/09 to get the '10 Forester as we had moved to Madison WI and I could no longer stand getting stuck in the snow with the Corolla and needing to be pushed out. I chose the Forester over the RAV4 (even before the recall issues) and the CR-V because of Subaru's outstanding safety ratings and superior AWD system. It has been absolutely terrific in the snow and foul weather which is the main reason why I bought it. I am a bit disappointed in the gas mileage which has been ranging from 16-18 for city driving. We got 21 when we drove on the hwy. I am hopeful the mileage will improve when the weather gets warmer. The poor quality stereo is my biggest pet peeve!

My first Subie !!!
By Dave Ostrowski on 02/25/10 10:17 AM (PST)

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

After owning 2 Fords (a 1996 Ranger and a 2002 Explorer, both having tranny issues), I finally bought the car I have longed for- a Subaru Forester. While it's taking a little time to get used to driving a lower profile vehicle, I cannot say enough about how impressed I am with the power, room, gas mileage and handling of this X- over. It's gonna be a great vehicle for our Buffalo, NY winters and should get it's first real test later today, since we have a winter storm warning for the area. I have several friends with Subies and they all seem to have gotten long term mileage out of their vehicles. Reliability and safety were two of the things that attracted me to the Subaru brand.

Pleased with purchase
By Bill on 02/23/10 07:49 AM (PST)

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My trade was a 2006 Highlander ,a near perfect SUV but the 2010 model is now larger than needed. The Forester is a great fit. All else being fairly equal I chose the Forester over the RAV4 and CRV because of the practical styling. An easy to use rear hatch and better visibility. So far the more I drive it the more I am convinced that I made the right choice. My suggestion for anyone looking for a compact SUV is to take your time and test drive them all.

subaru + awd + turbo = fun
By monk on 02/21/10 20:31 PM (PST)

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

the engine is outstanding and the handling is like a dream. it grips the road like a car. the turbo really compliments the tranny . pls. test drive the car and you will love this preppy little thing. subarus are known for AWD and a very reliable engines. so test drive and compare to other small ute suvs out there.

From an ex-Jeep owner
By Theresa on 02/20/10 08:36 AM (PST)

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I am a business owner in CO. I drive city, highway, dirt roads and have to get through the snow. I LOVE my Forester. The winter package is a must.The Forester looks small on the outside but packs a punch on the inside. I have yet to max out the cargo space inside. Backseats fold flat and provide enormous space. Symmetrical AWD is amazing. I often see vehicles sliding and getting stuck, and I drive right by with no problem. As a previous Wrangler and Liberty owner, I was concerned about ground clearance, but it is not an issue. We have a cabin located at 12k ft. Only access is a steep, dirt road lined with trees and boulders. Taking the Forester up the road is no problem.

2010 Subaru Forester
By kiirock on 02/17/10 22:04 PM (PST)

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Forester in July 2009 and this is February 18 2010. I personally like the interior and have not had problems with rattling inside the cabin. The radio is very weak and lacks good controls. I am satisfied with the mileage. I do very little city driving, mostly country and highway and I average 24-28 mpg. When I compare how the Forester's drive compares to my wife's Rav4, I prefer the Subaru any day due to the softer seats and better power steering. We have had over 40 inches of snow this winter in eastern KY and the Subaru has impressed me with the AWD on snowy and icy roads. The visibility is great and there is plenty of head room. Also plenty of room in the back.

No Regrets
By Danny Jung on 02/11/10 13:30 PM (PST)

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Like everyone, I test drove the others CRV, RAV4, but decided on the Forester ultimately for it's AWD and safety reputation. I've driven it for 3 months now and it definitely has been an overall positive experience. It feels great when driving in wet/snowy conditions...this alone makes it worth the purchase. Yes, there is a rattle in the back that my dealership is working on and the radio could be a bit more powerful...but other than that I'm quite satisfied. I get 24 mpg mixed city/highway, which I'm happy with. Hopefully I'll be one those loyal Subie fans.

2010 Subaru Forester
By RC on 02/07/10 07:02 AM (PST)

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We have had this car about 3-months. It is a little rough around the edges. It has a lot of power in a 4-cylinder engine though a little noisy when first started. It is comfortable and easy to drive, but my wife complains the rear hatch is heavy and hard to close. The car has the all-weather package which is excellent. Windshield and mirrors are easy to clear of snow/sleet/fog. I am disappointed in features it is missing. Homelink is extra. Bluetooth is extra. Backup camera is extra. The radio sounds flat and CDs sound like something is missing.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Subaru Forester in VA is:

$98 per month*