Used 2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited SUV Consumer Reviews - 45 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Subaru Forester SUV - Consumer Reviews

2010 Subaru Forester SUV

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Known Recurring Problem - Blown Head Gasket
By Wayne G.

2010 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My very first Subaru is a 2010 Subaru Forester. Overall I had been impressed with the performance of the car, however I was just recently told by Richmond Subaru that the reason I am losing oil is a blown head gasket, which will cost $2,400 to replace.

After doing some research I have come to understand that this is fairly common with Subarus. Less than a year ago I replaced the timing belt and had other maintenance done that cost several thousand. I am not in the habit of spending this much money on a car in regular maintenance fees.

Previously I have owned Hondas and Toyotas and have been quite happy with them (over 300K miles on an Odyssey!), but based upon reviews I thought I would give Subaru a try.

I suspect this problem has been occurring for some time. I once noticed at an oil change that my oil was low. I thought this was a slip on my part in filling to the proper level previously. Now I think it was the head gasket all along, and this was at about 50k miles, possibly still under warranty.

I find it silly that Subaru engineers have continued to design engines with this problem, and that Subaru dealers are unwilling to help. When I found out I had this issue, the Subaru salesman told me, "...since I know of the issue now I can't give you a full trade in value. My suggestion is that you see what CarMax is willing to give you."

If Subaru cannot help with this situation I will have no choice but to abandon Subaru as a brand choice and move on.

I Love my Subie!!!!
By LJ

I simply love it!
By Subaru Forrester Owner

2010 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My 2010 Subaru Forester Limited is 72k miles. I got it brand new. NEVER had an issue with it by just providing very basic maintenance (brakes, tires, oil changes and wipers). All maintenance has been done at the dealership.

It rides very smooth. It has good traction. It drives beautifully in the snow. It is roomy when needed. It is very easy to drive and love this vehicle. I couldn't be happier with it.

The only thing I do not like about it is the fact that it does not have as much isolation between the exterior and the interior. In other words, it is not as quiet inside as other vehicles on its category are. I have to increase the volume of the music I am playing to be able to muffle and omit some of the road sound from the exterior.

One thing is a little bit disappointing is the fact that even though I bought a "Limited" edition, for some reason it does not say anywhere in the vehicle.

Other than those two thing, I simply love this vehicle.

Not a Happy Camper
By lexi209

2010 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have a Forester 2010 that has less than 60,000miles. The leather seats are showing wear, especially the driver's seat. Contacted Subaru and have been told it is normal wear! Seriously?? This was to be my retirement car. Got the leather so it would stay nice. Guess I was wrong. I feel this is inferior material, but the company won't stand behind their product. Very disappointed! Close to $2,000 to fix both front seats. I love driving this car, but won't be buying another Subaru because of low quality interior.

Love the way it drives, like the looks of the exterior.

Better quality of interior products from leather used on seats to floor mats.

sun roof
By mrstjk

2010 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

wondering if anyone out there is having issues with the sunroof on 2010 Forester? mine has been in the shop 6 times for leaks while raining. Dealer even replaced the sun roof last time around and still leaks.
really getting tired of this and concerned about possible problems-rust, mildew, mold-down the road.
Subaru offered me extended warranty but that just isn't enough anymore.
Either fix the problem or give me new car.
did alot of research/test drives/talks with car owners before purchasing first subaru.
Likely to be my last if this isn't resolved to my satisfaction and soon.