Used 2010 Subaru Forester SUV Consumer Reviews - 156 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Subaru Forester SUV - Consumer Reviews

2010 Subaru Forester SUV

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Known Recurring Problem - Blown Head Gasket
By Wayne G.

2010 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My very first Subaru is a 2010 Subaru Forester. Overall I had been impressed with the performance of the car, however I was just recently told by Richmond Subaru that the reason I am losing oil is a blown head gasket, which will cost $2,400 to replace.

After doing some research I have come to understand that this is fairly common with Subarus. Less than a year ago I replaced the timing belt and had other maintenance done that cost several thousand. I am not in the habit of spending this much money on a car in regular maintenance fees.

Previously I have owned Hondas and Toyotas and have been quite happy with them (over 300K miles on an Odyssey!), but based upon reviews I thought I would give Subaru a try.

I suspect this problem has been occurring for some time. I once noticed at an oil change that my oil was low. I thought this was a slip on my part in filling to the proper level previously. Now I think it was the head gasket all along, and this was at about 50k miles, possibly still under warranty.

I find it silly that Subaru engineers have continued to design engines with this problem, and that Subaru dealers are unwilling to help. When I found out I had this issue, the Subaru salesman told me, "...since I know of the issue now I can't give you a full trade in value. My suggestion is that you see what CarMax is willing to give you."

If Subaru cannot help with this situation I will have no choice but to abandon Subaru as a brand choice and move on.

Forester review
By Javier Macias

2010 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great car, lots of room. Awesome reliability.

Great Car Except Emissions Control Problems
By Jim Wise

2010 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My 2010 Forester had the check engine and traction control disconnect light illuminate along with the cruise control light flashing at 79,500 miles. The car has been trouble-free up to this point. After a month of searching for fixes, I took it to DCH Subaru in Riverside, CA where they diagnosed the rear oxygen (O2) sensor voltage above the specified range (fault P2096). Subaru warranties the PZEV emission control system for 150,000 miles / 8 years. The fault O2 sensor was replaced without any cost to me.

Great Car
By mark malenfant

2010 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Nothing beats a Subaru!
Reliability, Safety, Capability

I Love my Subie!!!!
By LJ

2010 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)