Used 2010 Subaru Forester SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

2010 Subaru Forester SUV

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Not returning to Subaru
By cars4dummies

2010 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Despite all the hypes out there, I am very disappointed with our Forester. Runs well and icy and snowy roads here in Calgary, but the customer care is mediocre to say the least, and we've had series of issues after our first maintenance. Suffice to say, we went back to the dealer for repairs other than regular maintenance at least five times in the last four years. That's a lot considering this is a brand new car. My 2003 Toyota Echo has been a much better value for us for $10K less than our Forester. We will sell ours shortly, and will not go back to Subaru again. (sorry sis... she works for Fuji Heavy Industries in Japan)

Favorite Features

Runs well on ice and snow.

Suggested Improvements

Parts seem very cheap.

Not a Happy Camper
By lexi209

2010 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have a Forester 2010 that has less than 60,000miles. The leather seats are showing wear, especially the driver's seat. Contacted Subaru and have been told it is normal wear! Seriously?? This was to be my retirement car. Got the leather so it would stay nice. Guess I was wrong. I feel this is inferior material, but the company won't stand behind their product. Very disappointed! Close to $2,000 to fix both front seats. I love driving this car, but won't be buying another Subaru because of low quality interior.

Favorite Features

Love the way it drives, like the looks of the exterior.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality of interior products from leather used on seats to floor mats.

Not all Subarus are reliable
By master7blaster

2010 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This car has been a major disappointment, so far I had the air conditioning go out when it was 110 degrees as a bearing in the compressor seized, than just a few weeks ago my right front axle bearing went bad. Also my rear rotors are rusted with massive grooves, my rear emergency break pads are toast so I need to get new rear breaks, rotors and new emergency breaks replaced. The car has 44K on it and is 3 and a half years old. I used to have a 97 Impreza Outback that had no problems for 13 years and 225K miles, only things wearing out like when they should have, not like this car. For all the awards this car has won its been a major disappointment.

Favorite Features

Lots of room, handles nice in bad weather, comfortable seats.

Suggested Improvements

Use higher quality parts

Horrible transmission
By cupcakebaker4

2010 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

It seems that any time I change speeds suddenly, my car revs up and feels like it's stalling. The first time it happened, I was on a major highway and went to pass in the left lane when suddenly the car revved really high (as if I threw it into neutral and stepped on the gas pedal) and wasn't moving! I saw a car coming up on me in my rear view mirror and thought, "that's it, I'm a goner!" Just today on my way to Subaru for the seat belt recall, as I pulled out onto the highway, the car revved to 5 and it felt like the gas pedal was stuck. When I slow down to make a turn at a corner, the car jerks when I put my foot back on the gas. 3x back to the dealer; they say that's how this trans works!

Favorite Features

awd, anti-lock brakes, stereo

Suggested Improvements

change the transmission!

Exhaust rattle and ping noises
By ny_donna

2010 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Subaru Forester 2010, 57K miles - the heat shields in the exhaust are losing their insulation, so the tin shields rattle against each other. Was told I would need to replace entire exhaust to fix. Not covered by extended wtty - why make an exhaust system that falls apart after 2 years, and can't be easily fixed? why is this "my problem?" It is Subaru's poor design, should be their money to fix! Has anyone else had the dealer fix this problem for you or found an easier solution? The tinny rattling noise drives me crazy!

Favorite Features

I like the way the car handles and the way it looks. Also the fold down second row seats makes transporting long objects very easy!

Suggested Improvements

Make improvements to exhaust system. Car is under 3 years old, I should not have to replace an entire exhaust system because of Subaru's poor design of "heat shield system". If you know the heat shields lose their insulation - change it! who wants to drive a car that sounds like tin cans are rattling underneath it - how embarrassing! I paid $27K for this car, purchased extended wtty because I intended to keep car a long time. I don't want excuses from dealer or subaru, I want my car fixed!