2010 Subaru Forester SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Not returning to Subaru
By cars4dummies on 02/10/14 07:52 AM (PST)

2010 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Despite all the hypes out there, I am very disappointed with our Forester. Runs well and icy and snowy roads here in Calgary, but the customer care is mediocre to say the least, and we've had series of issues after our first maintenance. Suffice to say, we went back to the dealer for repairs other than regular maintenance at least five times in the last four years. That's a lot considering this is a brand new car. My 2003 Toyota Echo has been a much better value for us for $10K less than our Forester. We will sell ours shortly, and will not go back to Subaru again. (sorry sis... she works for Fuji Heavy Industries in Japan)

Not a Happy Camper
By lexi209 on 12/27/13 19:49 PM (PST)

2010 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have a Forester 2010 that has less than 60,000miles. The leather seats are showing wear, especially the driver's seat. Contacted Subaru and have been told it is normal wear! Seriously?? This was to be my retirement car. Got the leather so it would stay nice. Guess I was wrong. I feel this is inferior material, but the company won't stand behind their product. Very disappointed! Close to $2,000 to fix both front seats. I love driving this car, but won't be buying another Subaru because of low quality interior.

Not all Subarus are reliable
By master7blaster on 10/28/13 12:05 PM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This car has been a major disappointment, so far I had the air conditioning go out when it was 110 degrees as a bearing in the compressor seized, than just a few weeks ago my right front axle bearing went bad. Also my rear rotors are rusted with massive grooves, my rear emergency break pads are toast so I need to get new rear breaks, rotors and new emergency breaks replaced. The car has 44K on it and is 3 and a half years old. I used to have a 97 Impreza Outback that had no problems for 13 years and 225K miles, only things wearing out like when they should have, not like this car. For all the awards this car has won its been a major disappointment.

Horrible transmission
By cupcakebaker4 on 01/15/13 18:10 PM (PST)

2010 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

It seems that any time I change speeds suddenly, my car revs up and feels like it's stalling. The first time it happened, I was on a major highway and went to pass in the left lane when suddenly the car revved really high (as if I threw it into neutral and stepped on the gas pedal) and wasn't moving! I saw a car coming up on me in my rear view mirror and thought, "that's it, I'm a goner!" Just today on my way to Subaru for the seat belt recall, as I pulled out onto the highway, the car revved to 5 and it felt like the gas pedal was stuck. When I slow down to make a turn at a corner, the car jerks when I put my foot back on the gas. 3x back to the dealer; they say that's how this trans works!

Exhaust rattle and ping noises
By ny_donna on 07/17/12 19:30 PM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Subaru Forester 2010, 57K miles - the heat shields in the exhaust are losing their insulation, so the tin shields rattle against each other. Was told I would need to replace entire exhaust to fix. Not covered by extended wtty - why make an exhaust system that falls apart after 2 years, and can't be easily fixed? why is this "my problem?" It is Subaru's poor design, should be their money to fix! Has anyone else had the dealer fix this problem for you or found an easier solution? The tinny rattling noise drives me crazy!

Suburu's are LEMONS
By unhappyowner7 on 06/29/12 07:01 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Quite frankly, we're returning to Ford ASAP. We purchased a 2010 and it started leaking gas while on vacation in Colorado. It was towed to a dealership where the gas valve, gauge and tank have been replaced. It still leaks (1 1/2 weeks later) and they don't know how to fix it. Buyer Beware!!!

2010 Forester
By chris313 on 02/29/12 09:33 AM (PST)

2010 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We purchased our 2010 Forester in Febuarary 2010 when our daughter was born. We mainly purchased it for safety and reliability. The vehicle was fun to drive and handled well. We were disappointed that the a/c compressor went out and even after being replaced continued to make a grinding noise and would quit blowing cold off and on. Dealership never was able to fix it. Also found that the seats were uncomfortable and fit and finish were lacking. We traded it off on a toyota, which we have owned several of and never had service problems with. Would not reccomend the forester.

sun roof
By mrstjk on 11/11/11 04:54 AM (PST)

2010 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

wondering if anyone out there is having issues with the sunroof on 2010 Forester? mine has been in the shop 6 times for leaks while raining. Dealer even replaced the sun roof last time around and still leaks. really getting tired of this and concerned about possible problems-rust, mildew, mold-down the road. Subaru offered me extended warranty but that just isn't enough anymore. Either fix the problem or give me new car. did alot of research/test drives/talks with car owners before purchasing first subaru. Likely to be my last if this isn't resolved to my satisfaction and soon.

1 year later
By mrstjk on 09/09/11 20:01 PM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

wrote a review 8/10 after 1 mth ownership, gas smell was a mouse who had eaten the gas line! fixed-no repeats. 5/11-leaking from rear shoulder harness after a few days rain. seal on sunroof pulled loose & drain not connected. okay until this week - again leaking. two days in shop and they cannot recreate leak. my concern is about mold/mildew/rust in future. thinking about getting rid of it if dealer or Subaru won't do something. otherwise, I do love the Forester. great in snow/handles well/has improved to 22-23 MPG, mixed so not too bad. little "rough" til it warms up but after that, is quiet. seems to hold value in resale - at least at dealer.

Great car, but sold it after one year
By danwatson on 06/07/11 18:43 PM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased a 2010 Limited when a job caused me to relocate to Mammoth Lakes, CA. We live at 8000 feet and we got oveer 50 feet of snow. With snow tires, the Forester never let us down. Its great turning radius, relatively high ground clearance and AWD handles the snow well. But, at this elevation, with only a 4 speed automatic, it's missing a couple of cylinders. Transmission downshifts regularly on hills. And, it was a little small for my wife and me. It's great around town, but not great as a road car. This was our first Subaru and we traded it on an Outback which fits our needs. And, we traded it in for $2500 less than we paid after 18,000 miles!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Subaru Forester Suv in VA is:

$99 per month*