Used 2010 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

2010 Subaru Forester XT (Turbo) Limited Edition
By Forester Owner

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

* Present Car: 2010 Subaru Forester XT (Turbo Charged) Limited edition; 4 Speed Automatic Transmission (Fast on pickup and powerful on torque) 15-25 MPG (Premium Fuel ONLY) 4 cylinder Uses a Timing Belt * Prior Car: 2009 Subaru Forester X (NON-Turbo Charged) Limited edition PZEV; 4 Speed Automatic Transmission (Slow on pickup and weak on torque... dangerous on pulling out!) 15-30 MPG (Reg (best), Plus, Premium Fuels) 4 cylinder Uses a Timing Belt The "Limited" is the top end model and comes with a near-complete package of options as standard. Most of the negative reviews I've read are from non-turbo Subaru owners. I would never buy another non-turbo car OF ANY KIND again for the reasons mentioned above... no power and too slow on pickup and top end. However, if you think the pickup is ok and you want the fuel efficiency, get the X version. If you study the 0-60 second reviews on every car, you'll see that there are [presently] only 2 ways to get to 60 mph in under 7 seconds... 1) Natural Aspirated with +400 HP (Burns lots of fuel... 18-5 MPG) 2) Turbo Charged with +225 HP (Best fuel consumption... 28-15 MPG) I haven't experienced the oil burning issues others have complained about... perhaps they had the inevitable lemons. After doing a very thorough research on all SUVs, I am convinced there is no better car than Subarus (w//Turbo) you can buy for it's price. The only other SUV I'd consider is a Porshe Macan... but you pay over 4x the price. Both 2009 and 2010 Foresters handled superbly on wet, slippery roads BECAUSE OF the synchronized all wheel drive. Anybody complaining about poor handling of Subarus in inclement weather [while All Wheel Drive is engaged] needs to learn how to drive CORRECTLY. The drive train of Subarus is impeccable and the main reason I went with it... Centered/Balanced/Low Mounted Boxer Engine; Synchronized All Wheel Drive make this vehicle VERY easy to control on any surface... There is no better vehicle to drive on slippery surfaces than Subarus. Driver's Seat "Limited" version: Leather 8 way power control; Does not wear out unless you carry a THICK WALLET IN YOUR BACK POCKET! Very comfortable for 5'2"-6'5" Ht. Both front seats tilt all the way back for taking naps on long trips... Some individuals may find the arm rests in the way in this position, but still not much of a detriment. Passenger Seat: Mechanical Lever Adjustment. Rear Seats: Are comfortable enough for average height people. Rear Cargo: Rear seats fold down all the way flat (unlike many other top end SUVs), making it excellent for loading items and camping out if need be. NAV system: Screen is 6" diagonal... not large enough to view comfortably. Does not dim enough at night time making it annoying to drive while on. Boot up is too slow if turned off. There are better after market models with 7" screen (fits perfectly if the NAV-Headunit is compatible with 2008-2013 Forester models) that are much cheaper. Warning! : Do not buy any Kenwood! The 2010 Subaru Forester XT (Turbo Charged) Limited edition is the best car I've ever owned. However, it's recommended to change the Timing Belt around 100k miles ($1100). 2011-present now have a Timing Chain which doesn't need to be changed for much longer. Nevertheless, there are some complaints about how they are mounted, but that is to be seen from other owner's reviews. The only other engine Subaru makes with a Timing Chain is their 3.6 Liter, 6 Cylinder Engine; But that was only put in their Outbacks.

Never again
By Courtney Dorer

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We bought the 2010 Forester and loved it! We did all of the maintenance required but the piston rings in the block stuck on the way home from vacation on the interstate burning all of the oil out of the engine!! The oil pressure light threshold must be set too low because it did NOT come on to warn us that there was a problem until the car began knocking and shuttering going down the interstate at 80 mph and by that time it was already too late!! Only 5 years old and 81000 miles!! We can replace the engine if we choose, but would be the same 2.5L motor which has the same issue that Subaru is aware of, NO THANK YOU! Will never buy a Subaru again!

Great Car until Aug 2015 - 6 yrs. 51,000 miles
By Joanna MacMillan

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This month, August 2015, with 51,000 miles on the 2010 Forester, I learned that the engine has a problem in Cylinder #3 and needs a Short Block replacement and the AC Compressor needs to be replaced as well. The repair cost is $6,0000. All the research done before purchased pointed to a a good decision buy. I noticed the AC problem in May 2015. Subaru dealer added Freon with some dye to see if a leak could be detected. Earlier this month, it was clearly not blowing cold air. I scheduled service for the AC and asked Service to also check a noise I was hearing at acceleration. Car has been serviced exclusively by Subaru dealer service dept. and all service has been done on schedule. There are 2 possibilities for the Engine issue, both point to DEFECTS. The engine was either developing a problem over time = defect, or experienced the failure of an engine component very quickly also - from a defect. If it was developing over time ? for how long, how could it have been missed during the at last 3 service appointments in the last year? The situation I find myself in is unacceptable by any standard or measure. The engine of my 2010 Forester obviously had a defect. The AC Compressors in decent cars don?t need replacing at between 50 and 51,000 miles. By the way, I live in Connecticut, not exactly known for brutal long summers and certainly not for year round use of AC. We'll see how this plays out - cause Subaru isn't getting off the hook on this. I promised myself! Meanwhile my 1998 BMW Z3 - Trucks on beautifully!

Not returning to Subaru
By cars4dummies

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Despite all the hypes out there, I am very disappointed with our Forester. Runs well and icy and snowy roads here in Calgary, but the customer care is mediocre to say the least, and we've had series of issues after our first maintenance. Suffice to say, we went back to the dealer for repairs other than regular maintenance at least five times in the last four years. That's a lot considering this is a brand new car. My 2003 Toyota Echo has been a much better value for us for $10K less than our Forester. We will sell ours shortly, and will not go back to Subaru again. (sorry sis... she works for Fuji Heavy Industries in Japan)

Runs well on ice and snow.

Parts seem very cheap.

Not a Happy Camper
By lexi209

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have a Forester 2010 that has less than 60,000miles. The leather seats are showing wear, especially the driver's seat. Contacted Subaru and have been told it is normal wear! Seriously?? This was to be my retirement car. Got the leather so it would stay nice. Guess I was wrong. I feel this is inferior material, but the company won't stand behind their product. Very disappointed! Close to $2,000 to fix both front seats. I love driving this car, but won't be buying another Subaru because of low quality interior.

Love the way it drives, like the looks of the exterior.

Better quality of interior products from leather used on seats to floor mats.

• SUV