Want to love this car, but...
By deserthillsman on
2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)
I like this car, but can't get excited about it. Overall handling is very good and the turning radius is the best of any small SUVs that I've driven. It's a very stable drive, and it's been good on rough roads and in the rain. I have no problem with the sound system as many others seem to have, but I'd love to have more power, the lack of which is sometimes downright dangerous when trying to enter the freeway or pass slow cars on the two lane roads in the desert where I live. The car has been fairly trouble free for three years, except for the A/C going out last summer in 100+ weather here. But Subaru took care of the problem and I have to say that they've been very good overall.
Favorite Features
Turning radius, interior space, overall good MPG for an AWD (23.5), for the three years I've had it. The handling and ride are good, and I've no complaints about noise levels.
Suggested Improvements
More power for this engine. It's a problem when trying to pass or when entering the freeway, especially when the A/C is on. Paint quality both outside and in needs improvement. Minor brushing by leaves on a tree left scratches that looked as if someone had used steel wool on the hood. One touch up and down power windows for both driver and front passenger windows. Redesign the console; it's a bottomless pit and impossible to find things.