2009 Subaru Forester Consumer Review: I Wanted to Love My Subie

2009 Subaru Forester - Consumer Review

2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4-cyl. Turbo AWD 4-speed Automatic w/VDC, Nav)

I Wanted to Love My Subie
By rkong79 on

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC, Nav (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

The car was great in the beginning, but then it slowly began showing signs of poor craftsmanship. After 3-4 months, my brakes kept on squeaking. The engine is very loud at start-up. At my 1 year anniversary, with 20,000 miles on it, my engine gave up (rod knock). The engine was replaced, but I'm now very hesitant to even drive it normally, knowing that it had already broken down with normal use (I don't race it... even if I wanted to, the "turbo" is not meant for that purpose). I don't think spending over $30k on a car with AWD, and a "turbo" that is not going to knock my socks off by any means is worth the money. Go buy yourself a Toyota or Honda V6 instead.

I think it looks really cool. I like the hood scoop, the spoiler, the puddle lights, leather seats, huge moon roof, and AWD.

Engine! Turbo stinks, gas mileage stinks (I was avging 22 combined before my engine busted, now I'm avging 19 combined - for a 4-cylinder!!??) I'm noticing that the plastic interior material feels real cheap. Stereo system stinks - Audiophiles stay away... Brakes - they squeak. It's sad.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review