2009 Subaru Forester 2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual w/VDC Consumer Review - First time Subaru owner

2009 Subaru Forester - Consumer Review

2.5X 4dr SUV (2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual w/VDC)

First time Subaru owner
By Martin on

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I switched from a Volvo V70 front wheel drive because I wanted the the advantages of AWD in snow and icy conditions. I had previously owned a Volkswagen Passat with AWD (same system at the time as Audi Quattro) and I considered getting an Audi Quattro station wagon, but the ground clearance was a limitation in deep snow. So far, after 11 000 km. very happy with this car. BUT: I live in Europe, bought the car with the new Boxer Diesel: 147 hp. 256 ft./lb. torque, 6 speed manual tranny and, absolutely no kidding: 43 mpg. highway mileage. Why don't you guys in the States demand to get in on the real action with this car?

Favorite Features

AWD, ride, mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Interior more on a par with my V70 or Audi. Do something about the annoying tendency to "buck" when the electronic climate control is on. Dealer explains this is due to AC compressor engaging/disengaging, citing it draws about 7-8 hp. I feel this is unacceptable in a car today.