2009 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Somewhat of a disappointment
By jsta on 03/26/09 21:37 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the Forester after leasing a Tribeca for 3 years. Now I wish I had bought the Tribeca which was a far superior vehicle in every way. The Forester does handle excellently in ice and snow but highway driving does not inspire confidence. Vehicle is easily buffeted by wind and uneven road surface. Engine performance meets expectations for this class of SUV. Interior OK but rear speakers malfunctioned in first 6 months and annoyingly loud squeak has developed from the rear tire compartment. Dealer says this is common complaint and they don't quite know what to do about it. Mileage averages 25 combined city and highway. Overall, 2009 Forester does not live up to hype.

No problems here
By nor327 on 03/26/09 12:32 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/All Weather, Premium Pkg, VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I was motivated to write this review after reading reviews citing multitudinous problems. No rattles or breakdowns to report. Incredibly roomy inside given the small package outside. I don't think it is fair to cite as negatives the use of plastics or the sound system since those are attributes that can be evaluated in a test drive. I think this is a super automobile for the price point.

Dissatisfied
By Dissatisfied on 03/24/09 19:58 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X L.L.Bean Edition 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is the 7th Subaru that I have either owned or leased (5 owned and 2 leased) and this the worst experience I have had so far. The initial concept is good, but the end product definitely needs improvement. I drive 30,000 miles a year in MN. Poor windshield wiper design (front and back), build quality needs to be upgraded (had a water leak in the vent system and now I have major mildew problems. Poor placement of heated seat switches, auxiliary outlet plug, and IPOD plug. Heat is either off or on with poor modulation. Poor design on center storage/cup holders. Needs a five speed transmission; hunts for gears all the time. Buy an Outback. Forester missed the mark, at least for now.

My experience
By Robert L. Ayers on 03/24/09 15:34 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I found my 2009 Subaru Forester to be a very good vehicle. It is roomy and easy to get in and out of, I don't have to duck or crawl. I bought my vehicle last June and have 18000 km on it. At 6 ft tall and 250 lbs, I found the Forester a very comfortable fit, as it is larger than the 2008 version. The steering is positive but is not twitchy. The vehicle holds the road well in all seasons. Snow and ice have not been of a problem, even though we had more snow this year than previously. Any time we go anywhere, we have to cross a summit, yet have not had any concerns with the Forester. I researched vehicles on the net and Subaru was the best vehicle, so I bought it.

Fun and Functional
By Longhorn on 03/23/09 09:23 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC, Nav (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Looks great, controls well laid out, incredible visibility, love the panoramic sun roof, comfortable and feel safe, sticks to the road like glue, good storage capacity, fun to drive. Turbo is a must, the standard 4 cylinder is underwhelming.

Love my Forester more each day
By 1st Time Subaru on 03/18/09 09:48 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I was originally looking at Honda CRV and Toyota Rav4, but was concerned about their blind spots and bad rear visibility for backing up. So I looked at the Subaru (with AMAZING visibility in ALL directions) and sold on the appearance, performance and features. The Subaru Symetrical AWD is also superior to the 4WD technology on Honda and Toyota. Regarding other reviews: The base trim does not have cup holders in the back seat center console, but ALL trims have cup holders embedded in the back doors (perhaps the other reviewers haven't noticed?). The radio seems just fine to me. The passenger seat is low, but not a showstopper. The driver seat is very comfortable in the Limited trim.

My 5th
By Rob on 03/17/09 17:31 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my fifth Subaru, and I am very happy with it. With the M5 transmission, I am averaging 26 mpg in a rural setting. It has preformed well in snow [8" with drifts], and it has given me no problems. The added room in the back seat is a plus, and the general style is well suited. I do miss the quirky looks of the old Forester, it was unique and readily recognized by other Subaru drivers. The mechanics of this model seem to be better than the old though, it has a smoother ride, sits higher, and has a more solid feel to it while on the road.

My First Subaru
By Firstsubaruguy on 03/17/09 08:31 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

After owning Lexus, Audi and Acura models in the past, I decided that paying for panache was no longer worth it. I wanted an SUV with good MPG and an excellent AWD system. After reading about the 2009 Forrester and the awards it has earned, the decision was easy. I got the fully loaded vehicle three days before 8 inches of snow fell, and driving in the snow was like driving on dry ground. The AWD system is as good as Audi's Quattro which to me in the gold standard. The Forrester is very comfortable and there's plenty of room for 5. As a music lover, I disliked the SUV's stereo speakers so much that I had them replaced even before pick up. So far, I'm very happy with it.

Should have kept my 05 Forester
By MCHaley on 03/12/09 19:34 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is the fourth Subaru I have bought and I have loved all of them except for this one. Where do I begin?? Well for starters the interior rattles like a bucket of bolts, I took it back at around 10 K because the exhaust center pipe had a faulty weld. Got that fixed and two weeks later the transmission (manual) started making a noise. It turns out that it was machined wrong where the driveshaft meets the tranny and it needed a whole new unit. I just got it back two days ago now it sounds like the passenger CV joint is clicking when I turn right. This car is absolute garbage!!! I wish I would have kept my 05 Forester!!!!

Pleasantly surprised
By oc22071 on 03/11/09 21:19 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC, Nav (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my first Subaru purchase after owning mostly German cars. I got the forester to accommodate baby seat in the back and has plenty of room for front passenger even with rear facing baby seat. I would like to have the option of power front passenger seat but was not offered on any trim level.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Subaru Forester in VA is:

$103 per month*