2009 Subaru Forester SUV Consumer Reviews 7

2009 Subaru Forester SUV - Consumer Reviews

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
In Love With A Car??
By Annette on 05/07/09 08:57 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Only 1072 miles on her so far but have nothing but raves for this vehicle. Traded a 2007 Pacifica that I really liked. However this car is much easier to park, wend my way thru traffic and put my groceries in.

Buyers beware - another blown engine
By SoxFan on 05/07/09 05:52 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I've owned 3 Subarus now but this might be my last. The engine blew on my 2009 Forester XT yesterday. Unfortunately this appears to be all-too-common with this year's model. It's at the dealer now and everyone has been great so far with the warranty replacement. Still I can't help feeling remorse with a car that's not even a year old. If this is truly a problem across the model then Subaru needs to step up and address it proactively before they have more stranded motorists.

Engine went south at 5000 miles
By PNSM on 04/26/09 19:14 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I enjoyed the car until the engine stopped and left me stranded on the Interstate today. The Roadside Assistance feature works well, very efficient. I got good gas mileage. The AWD is wonderful especially in the rain. The interior is well designed but the radio is inferior - sound quality is just not there. The ride and comfort level were good. Reliability and faith in Subaru took a hit today after 5,000 miles of fun, I am without a vehicle. Not looking forward to the inconvenience of getting the car back - the nearest dealer is almost 100 miles away.

Best choice
By Steeler fan on 04/19/09 10:08 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/All Weather, Premium Pkg, VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Compared Forester to Rav4, Escape, Rogue. Glad I picked it. Have driven 1,000 miles so far. Ride is comfortable, visibility is great, fuel economy is great. Averaging 25 - 27 mpg in combo city, back roads, highway. No rattles, problems with cup holders or PZEV noise like other reviewers mentioned. Haven't had snow usage yet, but based on the other Subarus I've had - I'm sure it will be great. In my opinion, the Forester is the best value in a small/medium SUV for interior space, fuel economy, price, comfort.

I love it!!
By Jobin on 04/16/09 19:08 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X L.L.Bean Edition 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

First time Subaru owner. I was shopping around for a a new fresh SUV. Rav4 and CRV were on top of my list till a friend recommended I look at the Forester. I told him the wagon? He said no it's got a whole new design and rated #1. Test drove the LL Bean Ed. and loved it from the start. My wife kept smiling at the salesman. Well we went home with it that same day. Now my wife and I fight over it.

Brilliant service people.
By Anonymous on 04/14/09 14:56 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

Well, to start I should mention I put reliability low because the service people are idiots. Brought the forester in for a checkup and oil change, comes back with 2L too much oil - we discovered after the engine blew. Car is good, interior is pretty nice although leather stretched quickly. Stereo pretty well stinks considering it's 'premium' - nice that it doesn't get scratchy at high volume, although it's stupid that out of 40 knotches, it's not reasonably loud until about 30. Also fuel economy is hardly a selling feature once owned, not good in city at all. I have a 310HP pickup that gets better mileage, although tank is 20L larger, still gets about 400-600km per tank, forester barely hits 400.

Good Colorado SUV but.....
By Good around town SUV on 04/14/09 12:50 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Likes: 1. Excellent handling in the snow, passed many 4x4 trucks and SUV's in a blizzard 2. Stylish, a head turner 3. Big moonroof 4. Fuel economy averages 25 MPG 5. Practical for a 1-2 child family 6. Great cornering and u-turns. Dislikes: 1. Interior is VERY cheap, especially center armrest; small glove box too 2. Fabric already coming away from rear seat reclining button 3. Little storage and poorly designed cup holders 4. SAT radio and I-pod not compatible together, 1 or the other 5. 4 speed automatic, a brick in the mountains and poor mileage at 75 MPH.

My auto transmission has 5 speeds
By Barry on 04/14/09 05:19 AM (PDT)

I wanted to comment about the complaints regarding the use of a 4- speed auto transmission instead of 5- speeds in the Forester 2.5X AT. I have tested it, counted shifts and watched tach, and my AT definitely has 5 gears. It does not shift into 5th gear until about 60 mph if the engine is cold, but if warmed up and driving on a flat surface, the 5th gear will engage as low as 35-40 mph as long as you are not heavy on the gas pedal. Regardless of what the 09 Forester owners manual says, the dealership confirmed that the AT is really a 4-speed with an overdrive. Could this be something the assembly line changed mid-year? Mine was one of last 2009s to come off the assembly line in Dec. 2008.

One month
By steve on 04/10/09 07:53 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC, Nav (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Wanted to respond to recent comments. I have only had this vehicle one month, having owned both 05 Outback and 06 Tribeca and, combined, put on 105k miles over a period of approx 3 years. I am somewhat disappointed with the "road noise" and the not too soft ride. mpg about what expected, averaging 24 mpg so far.

Nice vehicle
By Happy with Subaru on 04/08/09 06:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/All Weather, Premium Pkg, VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Read many reviews before purchasing our 2nd Subaru, saw many great plus several poor ones but purchased anyway. We are very pleased with the Forester; great ride, rear seat wide and deep enough for our 3 growing boys, fuel economy much better than advertised (24 mpg city so far even with less than 100 miles on it) with MT. Seems to me that most complaints involve the turbo models and the 4AT transmission so avoid those and this is a GREAT vehicle. Looks very sharp equipped with the rugged package. Invoice pricing at start nice change from most dealers even in this economy who still think they can ask for sticker!