Used 2009 Subaru Forester SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Subaru Forester SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Engine concerns
By Disappointed

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Have the same minor complaints as others re: poor interior materials, poor stereo, no tinting on windows (base model) and oddly, low-positioned passenger seat. Major concern is with performance of the PZEV engine. When accelerating in order to pass on the freeway, will sometimes 'get stuck' and rev wildly for a few seconds. As though it's in idle and I'm revving the engine. Corrects itself when I back off of the accelerator. Am not in control of the speed of the vehicle when this happens. Very disconcerting and dangerous. Will be taking in to dealer, but am not hopeful due to regulations of PZEV and the ECM. May cut my losses soon and sell. Very disappointed with engine performance.

Sure-footedness of AWD, tight steering. Lots of interior room

Tint the windows on base model! Put in a better stereo. Allow height adjustment of passenger seat. Do something about the Pzev engine, or don't bother with it!

No regrets
By NiceBet

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle 8 months ago with a healthy dose of skepticism about the Subaru brand. But after extensive review online and test driving it and my other top choices (CR-V and RAV4) I came to a decision that the Forester was the optimal choice to suit my needs. It provided everything I wanted in a SUV- reliability, fuel efficiency, AWD, reasonable cost and reasonable comfort level (leather seats and heating, 6 disc changer stereo system to mention a few). My vehicle has handled well in the sub- artic condition in which I drive it. I have slipped a few times this winter but my vehicle handled well (those experiences have reminded me that technology is no substitute for sensible driving)

I feel the stereo system is pretty decent. The efficiency of the heating system - having used it extensively in really cold weather I can say conclusively that it does work well.

The only problem I've had with my vehicle is that the trunk door sometimes needs an extra push to properly close it in sub -5F weather.

Made for the snow???
By Adventurer

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Forester in May, and have put about 9500 miles on so far. Its been a nightmare in the snow. The ABS is atrocious. Traction control brings the vehicle to a complete stop on snow covered hills. And the back end slides out in turns. Cargo space looks good. But I can't fit my mountain bike (wheels removed) in it without folding down half of the back seat. In my wife's Corolla, I can fit my bike and my son's trailer in the trunk without dropping the seat. Anyone that says they get 30mpg, needs to let the rest of us in on their secret. 26 on long trips. 23 city/hwy. I don't feel safe taking my family anywhere in snowy conditions and am in the process of trading it in.

Interior looks great and is very comfortable. Layout of the controls is perfect. Vehicle looks great outside as well. Roof rack is a sintch to put- on and take-off.

I think most of my woes (ABS, ECT) are due to the tires. In all fairness, I know other Forester owners who have the same tires and no problems. Maybe these tires are from a bad batch, or have been compromised somehow.

Great performance but needs improvements
By ARefaat

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

While I really love the performance.. (incomparable handling and steering, 4 speed transmission really helpful on mountains and have no problems at high speeds) the bumpy ride and the bad interior built quality keeps me from enjoying the drive of this great performance. compared to any other small SUV or even mid sedan I've been in the ride of this car is very bumpy the car shakes constantly... also the quality of putting the interior together is not the best and this shows as annoying rattling noises, also even with putting the driver seat at highest position the seat is still sitting low which is not a very comfortable thing neither

AWD system, steering and roomy interior

The ride is bumpy my guess suspension needs improvement... need to pay attention to quality of small details specially interior... front seat needs to be able to go higher

Get You One
By Tonster

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This vehicle is by far my favorite Subaru owned to date. Just got thru this three day blizzard in Nebraska. This pony went everywhere at all times. In Omaha, Lincoln, Bellevue and all points in between. What all wheel drive is about.

Magnificent handling of major winter weather conditions.

Stereo is very weak.