Used 2009 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews - 226 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

My chevy is more dependable
By onedisappointment

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I was sold the safety, resale value, and dependability. Well, within two month of purchase I had a cracked windshield, warranty did not cover the crack and it cost me $370 to replace. and now the car has a leak in the evaporator core and it costing me about $1000 to fix. This car barely 2 years old. My Chevy has 276k miles and still runs with original A/C. Never again will by a Subaru again!

All I expected
By mktdkt

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased the car 14 months and 45,000 miles ago for several basic reasons. Price, AWD, interior Space and you won't see another one on every corner. I have been more than satisfied. The AWD is second to none, we have snow 6 months a year. Yes, the interior could be upgraded but considering the price I feel I received a deal. Mileage is never below 25 and never above 29. I drive 80% hwy. Performance is so-so but but more than enough for the driving I do. I highly recommend Subaru and will buy another.

AWD, ground clearance, interior space, utility

Higher quality interior parts

Worst Car I've Ever Owned
By Car Professor

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is the worst car I've ever owned. In less than 3500 miles, it's been in for service on five separate occasions. I’m not sure whether Subaru needs to redesign this vehicle, improve assembly procedures/training, or conduct more thorough testing, but I do know that somewhere along the way, Subaru lost sight of its commitment to quality and customer satisfaction. I will never purchase another Subaru and would never recommend one, as I feel that I simply can’t rely on this vehicle. Where’s the ‘love’, Subaru? P.S. - Subaru Customer Service more hindrance than help. They simply don't care.

Factory installed rattles and vibrations prevent driver from falling asleep behind the wheel.

Ask customers to grow a third arm so they can dampen the various interior noises while continuing to steer and shift in a safe manner.

It's about love
By tarsier

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I could have paid less for my Forester if I had been more patient but it's about love and the extras I might have added for the same price were not terribly interesting or involved trade offs (standard, turbo) I wasn't willing to make. I have no problem with stereo volume but the plastic/felt interior, goofy high chrome exterior trim, engine high speed 'rev' and blind spots exist. I am not thrilled with the armrest, but my dog likes it and I have issues with the ipod integration kit. But that's it, other issues are more industry-wide technology-style issues than Subaru's 'fault'. 15,000 miles, 6 major road-trips from the snow to the desert and its still all about love.

I love my moon roof, the cockpit layout, the comfort of the seats, the all weather road handling (I like centrifugal force), the windshield wipers, the steering, the cargo area, my hitch. I love my Subaru. It fits everyone in my life, and thats quite a range of mindsets, lifestyles and body types.

Nav with ipod integration, usb, 5 speed manual, an armrest that slides farther forward, console tray, removable liners for the console cup holders so you can simply wash them, ability to charge your phone with the engine off, a non polished chrome trim option, less rear blind spotting, flokati clips

Could be better
By soulcougher73

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/All Weather, Premium Pkg, VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my Forester for a year and half now. Overall i like the car. It looks great but there are a few nagging annoyances. The ride can be a bit harsh. This could be due to the OEM tires. Lot of door and dash rattles. Fuel economy is avg at best. I avg 21mpg with about 80% city/20% highway. Stereo and speakers are very weak as well.

AWD, cargo space, passenger space, exterior looks.

5 or 6 speed automatic which should improve mpgs as well. Better stereo and speakers. Improve ride quality and reduce rattles. Turn arrows in outside mirrors. Passenger seat needs height adjustment (sits way to low). Heated seat buttons in odd place.