Used 2009 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

2009 Subaru Forester

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

No regrets
By NiceBet

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle 8 months ago with a healthy dose of skepticism about the Subaru brand. But after extensive review online and test driving it and my other top choices (CR-V and RAV4) I came to a decision that the Forester was the optimal choice to suit my needs. It provided everything I wanted in a SUV- reliability, fuel efficiency, AWD, reasonable cost and reasonable comfort level (leather seats and heating, 6 disc changer stereo system to mention a few). My vehicle has handled well in the sub- artic condition in which I drive it. I have slipped a few times this winter but my vehicle handled well (those experiences have reminded me that technology is no substitute for sensible driving)

Favorite Features

I feel the stereo system is pretty decent. The efficiency of the heating system - having used it extensively in really cold weather I can say conclusively that it does work well.

Suggested Improvements

The only problem I've had with my vehicle is that the trunk door sometimes needs an extra push to properly close it in sub -5F weather.

Made for the snow???
By Adventurer

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Forester in May, and have put about 9500 miles on so far. Its been a nightmare in the snow. The ABS is atrocious. Traction control brings the vehicle to a complete stop on snow covered hills. And the back end slides out in turns. Cargo space looks good. But I can't fit my mountain bike (wheels removed) in it without folding down half of the back seat. In my wife's Corolla, I can fit my bike and my son's trailer in the trunk without dropping the seat. Anyone that says they get 30mpg, needs to let the rest of us in on their secret. 26 on long trips. 23 city/hwy. I don't feel safe taking my family anywhere in snowy conditions and am in the process of trading it in.

Favorite Features

Interior looks great and is very comfortable. Layout of the controls is perfect. Vehicle looks great outside as well. Roof rack is a sintch to put- on and take-off.

Suggested Improvements

I think most of my woes (ABS, ECT) are due to the tires. In all fairness, I know other Forester owners who have the same tires and no problems. Maybe these tires are from a bad batch, or have been compromised somehow.

Great performance but needs improvements
By ARefaat

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

While I really love the performance.. (incomparable handling and steering, 4 speed transmission really helpful on mountains and have no problems at high speeds) the bumpy ride and the bad interior built quality keeps me from enjoying the drive of this great performance. compared to any other small SUV or even mid sedan I've been in the ride of this car is very bumpy the car shakes constantly... also the quality of putting the interior together is not the best and this shows as annoying rattling noises, also even with putting the driver seat at highest position the seat is still sitting low which is not a very comfortable thing neither

Favorite Features

AWD system, steering and roomy interior

Suggested Improvements

The ride is bumpy my guess suspension needs improvement... need to pay attention to quality of small details specially interior... front seat needs to be able to go higher

Get You One
By Tonster

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This vehicle is by far my favorite Subaru owned to date. Just got thru this three day blizzard in Nebraska. This pony went everywhere at all times. In Omaha, Lincoln, Bellevue and all points in between. What all wheel drive is about.

Favorite Features

Magnificent handling of major winter weather conditions.

Suggested Improvements

Stereo is very weak.

A Good Review.
By M.P.

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my first Subaru, we like it, is roomy, has good handling and stability. The ride is good. It had the same rattling noises everyone is complaining about. The door noise is caused by a plastic cover behind the doors panel; just take the door panel out and put some insulating material and that's fixed. Once in a while I do get some rattling in the dash area and in the cargo area. Having some A/C issues with the a/c clutch engaging and disengaging at blower speed 1. Also, the A/C Clutch is very noisy. Trying to get this fixed with the dealer. Overall is a good family vehicle.

Favorite Features

Huge moonroof/sunroof, handles very well, safety, and awd capabilities.

Suggested Improvements

The passenger seat needs to be higher, it is too low. Fix the rattling noises, Subaru needs to have a NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) team to deal with this problem. Fix the a/c problems. Add a CVT transmission or a 5 speed automatic Trans.