2009 Subaru Forester SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
You get what you pay for...
By MG on 07/07/09 12:55 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Since there are pluses and minuses for all vehicles, we did not feel that the Forester had any major weaknesses; WRONG! Starting with trim levels, if you want any lumbar support, you are forced to buy the limited trim which translates into a higher payment. I could easily do without leather or the extras however with a bad back, the choice was essential. The transmission is not shifting correctly and it has been a fight with the dealership. It has been eight days since we met with the Subaru rep and while he agrees that the transmission is not right, the dealership has still not called; how lovely. Very poor performance in the mountains on a recent trip and the door skins are very thin.

Excellent Utility Vehicle
By Jeff on 06/17/09 04:06 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/All Weather, Premium Pkg, VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Ever shrinking budgets for clearing winter roads convinced me I needed an AWD vehicle. Was looking for something with good gas mileage, AWD, large cargo capability, and smooth ride. The Forester does all these things very well. All weather package is nice for us Michigan folks. Heated wipers, mirrors, and seats plus all weather mats came in handy already this year. Planning many road trips this summer. Forester has very smooth ride on rough and/or dirt roads. Huge moonroof is nice as is the reclining rear seats. Rear seats pop down very easily. Fuel economy has been good at around 25mpg, mostly city. Gets close to 28 on highway. Not super flashy or fast but so far, I love it!

Should have gotten another car
By AMR on 06/13/09 10:27 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The car has a non turbo 4 and it has very poor performance and gets dismal mileage, 15 to 16 in the city, 20 to 21 on the highway. It rattles daily, the carpet finish is poor, it takes 3 to 5 turns to start in the rain and the nav system is not only hard to use it is very bad at getting you from A to B in the easiest way possible.

Saab Owner becomes Subie Owner
By Kenny Steinberg on 06/12/09 14:03 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought this as a safe city car for my wife and teenage daughter to share. We are very happy with our purchase. I have read here about the imploding turbo engines on these. I have discussed this with my service manager. He said that early VIN versions did indeed have that problem, but that this has been worked out. Hope so! This is a perfect size for us, and fits four people very comfortably, with five in a pinch.

Great all round package
By shiva on 06/11/09 20:19 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

Just got my first Subaru Forester last month. The acceleration is fantastic for an SUV. A bit disappointed in 4 gear transmission, would have expected 5 fwd minimum. Great overall comfort and performance; I would highly recommend.

You have a 5 Speed Auto Trans?
By A4Maniac on 05/21/09 06:45 AM (PDT)

To the guy who claims a 5 spd auto trans...bad news, your dealer lied to you. One of the well know (& documented) Forester complaints is the lack of an overdrive gear for the AT, mileage would noticeably improve on the highway instead of the 25 MPG that we get doing 75 MPH. And a 4spd auto with overdrive is same as a 5spd. Plus check the sportshift for that "5th" gear. Mid-year gearbox change is major effort and tough to see. Our review: this is our 2nd Sub & liked the Outback better. The Forester feels cheap even w/ the premium pkg; the improved mpg might not be worth giving up the space of a larger SUV; zero passing power.

Turbo Engine Trouble
By luganlad on 05/20/09 10:40 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC, Nav (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

Apparently the 2009 2.5 liter turbo engine has some metallurgic problems. Our engine began making loud banging sounds on a road trip after just 4,000 miles on it. Worked fine prior to this catastrophic breakdown. Subaru will be replacing the engine with hopefully a correctly produced engine.

A Winner
By Gus on 05/14/09 11:41 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

After suffering through 40 snow events in Chicago last winter, I decided that, while I loved my BMW sedan, I would not go through another winter without an AWD vehicle. I looked at and test drove AWD BMWs including the sedans, X5 and X3. I expanded to other brands, including Ford, Infiniti, Acura, Toyota, Honda, Nissan and Audi. I had been trying to decide between a sedan (the Infiniti M35X) and an SUV (BMW X3) when an old tree-hugging friend recommended that I look at the new Forester. Indeed, that was the last vehicle that I test drove (an XT Limited). I was pleasantly surprised by not only the performance, but the comfort, convenience and utility.

In Love With A Car??
By Annette on 05/07/09 08:57 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Only 1072 miles on her so far but have nothing but raves for this vehicle. Traded a 2007 Pacifica that I really liked. However this car is much easier to park, wend my way thru traffic and put my groceries in.

Buyers beware - another blown engine
By SoxFan on 05/07/09 05:52 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I've owned 3 Subarus now but this might be my last. The engine blew on my 2009 Forester XT yesterday. Unfortunately this appears to be all-too-common with this year's model. It's at the dealer now and everyone has been great so far with the warranty replacement. Still I can't help feeling remorse with a car that's not even a year old. If this is truly a problem across the model then Subaru needs to step up and address it proactively before they have more stranded motorists.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Subaru Forester Suv in VA is:

$104 per month*