Used 2009 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

It's about love
By tarsier

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I could have paid less for my Forester if I had been more patient but it's about love and the extras I might have added for the same price were not terribly interesting or involved trade offs (standard, turbo) I wasn't willing to make. I have no problem with stereo volume but the plastic/felt interior, goofy high chrome exterior trim, engine high speed 'rev' and blind spots exist. I am not thrilled with the armrest, but my dog likes it and I have issues with the ipod integration kit. But that's it, other issues are more industry-wide technology-style issues than Subaru's 'fault'. 15,000 miles, 6 major road-trips from the snow to the desert and its still all about love.

I love my moon roof, the cockpit layout, the comfort of the seats, the all weather road handling (I like centrifugal force), the windshield wipers, the steering, the cargo area, my hitch. I love my Subaru. It fits everyone in my life, and thats quite a range of mindsets, lifestyles and body types.

Nav with ipod integration, usb, 5 speed manual, an armrest that slides farther forward, console tray, removable liners for the console cup holders so you can simply wash them, ability to charge your phone with the engine off, a non polished chrome trim option, less rear blind spotting, flokati clips

Could be better
By soulcougher73

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/All Weather, Premium Pkg, VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my Forester for a year and half now. Overall i like the car. It looks great but there are a few nagging annoyances. The ride can be a bit harsh. This could be due to the OEM tires. Lot of door and dash rattles. Fuel economy is avg at best. I avg 21mpg with about 80% city/20% highway. Stereo and speakers are very weak as well.

AWD, cargo space, passenger space, exterior looks.

5 or 6 speed automatic which should improve mpgs as well. Better stereo and speakers. Improve ride quality and reduce rattles. Turn arrows in outside mirrors. Passenger seat needs height adjustment (sits way to low). Heated seat buttons in odd place.

No Regrets
By TayTay

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/All Weather, Premium Pkg, VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Had the Forester for 1 year and had no complaints. Manual version cannot get stuck in snow. I drove it 60 miles in three feet of snow with the wife and son. only time I stopped was to help a guy in a Jeep (not joking). Others have complained about 23 MPG. Get real, remember its an SUV and its AWD. My wife and I have had 2001 Forester, 2002 Forester, 2001 WRX, 2006 LGT and 2009 Forester. 2009 Forester has twice as much room compared to the 2001- 2002. Great design and made of quality parts.

Moonroof, heated seats, leg room is great, lots of cargo space. 23 MPG with an SUV AWD.

None

Impressed first time Subaru owner
By New to Subaru

I am a first time Subaru owner and have been very impressed with this vehicle. I drive an average of 30k miles per year and have not experienced a single problem with this car (knock on wood). PZEV is not noticeable and it is nice to be able to reduce emissions so effortlessly! 28mpg on average (20% city/80% highway) mostly at 75-80 mph in the mountains, goes anywhere (deep snow, snow packed roads and ice) and it is comfortable. The 5-speed manual is essential as the non-turbocharged automatics are sluggish. Have had it on mild off road trails and the clearance/traction combination is great. As long as you take it slow, it will make it with flying colors!

Great traction in any weather, attractive design, room for tall folks and great fuel economy considering it is AWD. Easy to park and nice on a road trip.

Better stereo design, a tilting sunroof and a six speed manual transmission with granny low first gear.

2 year update
By Red Herring

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

Have owned now for almost 2 years, and still am impressed by what a sound, competent SUV this is. Through 2 winters now, tracks like a goat-no way to get it stuck, and rain is irrelevant due to great visibility, wipers and traction. Body quality is high also-survived a nine inch wide, 12 foot long tree branch falling on it and grape sized hail without a dent or scratch. Plenty roomy (I'm 6'4" and comfortable front or back) and practical (carried everything I ever asked it to, much more than CR-V or RAV). Turbo makes it a VERY competent performer, and I think the handling is a great compromise between comfort and performance. Critics need to keep in mind that this is a Subaru, not an Audi

AWD, very spacious, rear seats fold down automatically when you pull the latch so it can be done from the back, comfortable (not harsh) ride, turbo surprisingly quick, sturdy body, great visibility through big windows. For an "economy" SUV (and it doesn't drive like one), it's the best deal going.

Sunroof only slides, doesn't tilt; no vanity mirror light; stereo and fog lights marginal; carpet somewhat cheap looking. Gas mileage not great, but for full time AWD with this level of performance.