2009 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Get You One
By Tonster on 12/27/09 19:50 PM (PST)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This vehicle is by far my favorite Subaru owned to date. Just got thru this three day blizzard in Nebraska. This pony went everywhere at all times. In Omaha, Lincoln, Bellevue and all points in between. What all wheel drive is about.

A Good Review.
By M.P. on 12/18/09 11:30 AM (PST)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my first Subaru, we like it, is roomy, has good handling and stability. The ride is good. It had the same rattling noises everyone is complaining about. The door noise is caused by a plastic cover behind the doors panel; just take the door panel out and put some insulating material and that's fixed. Once in a while I do get some rattling in the dash area and in the cargo area. Having some A/C issues with the a/c clutch engaging and disengaging at blower speed 1. Also, the A/C Clutch is very noisy. Trying to get this fixed with the dealer. Overall is a good family vehicle.

No issues after a year of driving
By PharmD on 11/29/09 08:24 AM (PST)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the car shortly after it came out. I wanted to wait at least a year before I submitted a review. So far I love the forester and have no regrets. I test drove the Rav4 and the mazda CX7 and felt the forester was the better car. Fuel consumption has been a bit disappointing. I am getting an average of 18mpg in mostly city driving. I have not experienced the rattling that was mentioned before however, I find the location for the heated seats very inconvenient. With the limited you get 2 additional speakers to which I added the optional subwoofer. Even so the sound is mediocre at best. Overall, the forester is not perfect. However, you get a lot for the money.

Very Happy
By J.W. on 11/22/09 11:53 AM (PST)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We have had our forester for one year now with 10,000 miles on it. Have not had any problems with it at all. It's every thing we expected and more. Getting good gas mileage, 23 to 24 in town, 27 to 29 highway. We love everything about it.

Good Value-and Fun Too
By steamloco76 on 10/22/09 09:54 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The 2009 Forester in base trim provides a ton of utility, capability and safety for a fairly low price. I am a big-tall type and most vehicles don't fit me well-the Forester has plenty of room and big, wide opening front doors for easy entry. Excellent visibility and driver sight lines. Negatives- Seat cushions are too short, pedal space is tight for size 14E shoes and the seat cloth and carpet are cheap feeling. Biggest complaint INTERIOR RATTLES!! The clutch is smooth, but the drive-by wire throttle hangs revs-coupled with a notchy shifter makes smooth shifting challenging, however, the stick allows you to make best use of the high revving flat four. Handling is nearly sport car class.

Only if you love your mechanic...
By RLM on 10/13/09 18:21 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've owned my Forester for 10 months, 11K miles on it and I'm considering a trade in. While this vehicle is exactly what I want in a car as a small SUV and I enjoy driving the car at times, overall the poor quality of the workmanship of the car makes me regret my purchase. I've had the car in for both a major repair (power steering replacement) and major annoyances (mystery noises from door panels, rear-door catch had to be re- welded, and buzzing noises from stereo). Honestly, I miss my 7 year old 125K car I traded in because that car had less body noise and rattling than this brand new car. I'm severely disappointed in the quality of this car and I am considering cutting my losses now.

Bittersweet
By dcw2 on 09/21/09 19:37 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Finally a car with enough headroom without sitting on the ground! I'm 6'5 and I sit with the seat straight up and my head does not hit the ceiling. Wife is 4'11 and passenger seat is way too low. Before you buy know this, 09 foresters have been consistently having rattling problems. No fix in sight other than tearing out the interior and doing a custom job. By rattling I mean pull your hair out mad that your new car sounds like rattling. Am totally shocked by this but wow the headroom.

Well Engineered
By yooper on 09/16/09 17:26 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

AWD is flawless. Pulls my boat out of water with ease!! Quiet interior at 70 mph. I tried several small SUVs, none drove in a solid controlled way. It challenges my BMW 323. With 3000 miles, I'm averaging 26 mpg total, includes 60% city/40% highway. Pulls utility trailer with ease. Simple interior controls are breath of fresh air.

Close to 19k miles in first anniversary
By Manny on 09/11/09 19:10 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X L.L.Bean Edition 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC, Nav (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

First time Subaru owner; may go back to Toyota. Two months after the purchase felt like wheels were spinning on two occasions. Finally at 15k transmission is gone. Dealer wanted to charge $90 for transmission flush. Threatened them to call Subaru of America and only then they agreed to replace tranny for new one. A/C had intermittent problem that showed up shortly after I bought it. Had to get Subaru of America involved to get dealer to provide loaner car and keep the Forester overnight to try to duplicate problem. Disappointed with the service received at dealership for a fairly new car under warranty. Makes me wonder what's next? Wife thinks I bought a "LEMON". Have Subaru phone # on hand.

Fix the seats
By roadturtle on 08/31/09 18:10 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5 X, Auto. This is my first Subaru. While I really like my AWD wagon. Subaru needs to up their game. The drivers seat has broken twice in less than 4000 miles. It took two weeks to get a new frame. A long time. Tech stated that Subaru has known about this problem for awhile. Yet they gave me another seat frame that broke in about one week. I am now waiting for another seat frame. Why couldn't I buy a drivers power seat without spending $4000 extra. Now I wish I had. This may be last Subaru.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Subaru Forester in WA is:

$130 per month*