2009 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Worst Car I've Ever Owned
By Car Professor on 05/22/10 09:42 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is the worst car I've ever owned. In less than 3500 miles, it's been in for service on five separate occasions. I’m not sure whether Subaru needs to redesign this vehicle, improve assembly procedures/training, or conduct more thorough testing, but I do know that somewhere along the way, Subaru lost sight of its commitment to quality and customer satisfaction. I will never purchase another Subaru and would never recommend one, as I feel that I simply can’t rely on this vehicle. Where’s the ‘love’, Subaru? P.S. - Subaru Customer Service more hindrance than help. They simply don't care.

It's about love
By tarsier on 05/11/10 12:14 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I could have paid less for my Forester if I had been more patient but it's about love and the extras I might have added for the same price were not terribly interesting or involved trade offs (standard, turbo) I wasn't willing to make. I have no problem with stereo volume but the plastic/felt interior, goofy high chrome exterior trim, engine high speed 'rev' and blind spots exist. I am not thrilled with the armrest, but my dog likes it and I have issues with the ipod integration kit. But that's it, other issues are more industry-wide technology-style issues than Subaru's 'fault'. 15,000 miles, 6 major road-trips from the snow to the desert and its still all about love.

Could be better
By soulcougher73 on 05/10/10 10:28 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/All Weather, Premium Pkg, VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my Forester for a year and half now. Overall i like the car. It looks great but there are a few nagging annoyances. The ride can be a bit harsh. This could be due to the OEM tires. Lot of door and dash rattles. Fuel economy is avg at best. I avg 21mpg with about 80% city/20% highway. Stereo and speakers are very weak as well.

No Regrets
By TayTay on 05/06/10 06:18 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/All Weather, Premium Pkg, VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Had the Forester for 1 year and had no complaints. Manual version cannot get stuck in snow. I drove it 60 miles in three feet of snow with the wife and son. only time I stopped was to help a guy in a Jeep (not joking). Others have complained about 23 MPG. Get real, remember its an SUV and its AWD. My wife and I have had 2001 Forester, 2002 Forester, 2001 WRX, 2006 LGT and 2009 Forester. 2009 Forester has twice as much room compared to the 2001- 2002. Great design and made of quality parts.

Impressed first time Subaru owner
By New to Subaru on 04/22/10 21:44 PM (PDT)

I am a first time Subaru owner and have been very impressed with this vehicle. I drive an average of 30k miles per year and have not experienced a single problem with this car (knock on wood). PZEV is not noticeable and it is nice to be able to reduce emissions so effortlessly! 28mpg on average (20% city/80% highway) mostly at 75-80 mph in the mountains, goes anywhere (deep snow, snow packed roads and ice) and it is comfortable. The 5-speed manual is essential as the non-turbocharged automatics are sluggish. Have had it on mild off road trails and the clearance/traction combination is great. As long as you take it slow, it will make it with flying colors!

2 year update
By Red Herring on 04/06/10 07:42 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

Have owned now for almost 2 years, and still am impressed by what a sound, competent SUV this is. Through 2 winters now, tracks like a goat-no way to get it stuck, and rain is irrelevant due to great visibility, wipers and traction. Body quality is high also-survived a nine inch wide, 12 foot long tree branch falling on it and grape sized hail without a dent or scratch. Plenty roomy (I'm 6'4" and comfortable front or back) and practical (carried everything I ever asked it to, much more than CR-V or RAV). Turbo makes it a VERY competent performer, and I think the handling is a great compromise between comfort and performance. Critics need to keep in mind that this is a Subaru, not an Audi

Engine concerns
By Disappointed on 03/10/10 13:47 PM (PST)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Have the same minor complaints as others re: poor interior materials, poor stereo, no tinting on windows (base model) and oddly, low-positioned passenger seat. Major concern is with performance of the PZEV engine. When accelerating in order to pass on the freeway, will sometimes 'get stuck' and rev wildly for a few seconds. As though it's in idle and I'm revving the engine. Corrects itself when I back off of the accelerator. Am not in control of the speed of the vehicle when this happens. Very disconcerting and dangerous. Will be taking in to dealer, but am not hopeful due to regulations of PZEV and the ECM. May cut my losses soon and sell. Very disappointed with engine performance.

No regrets
By NiceBet on 02/28/10 22:00 PM (PST)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle 8 months ago with a healthy dose of skepticism about the Subaru brand. But after extensive review online and test driving it and my other top choices (CR-V and RAV4) I came to a decision that the Forester was the optimal choice to suit my needs. It provided everything I wanted in a SUV- reliability, fuel efficiency, AWD, reasonable cost and reasonable comfort level (leather seats and heating, 6 disc changer stereo system to mention a few). My vehicle has handled well in the sub- artic condition in which I drive it. I have slipped a few times this winter but my vehicle handled well (those experiences have reminded me that technology is no substitute for sensible driving)

Made for the snow???
By Adventurer on 02/28/10 11:28 AM (PST)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Forester in May, and have put about 9500 miles on so far. Its been a nightmare in the snow. The ABS is atrocious. Traction control brings the vehicle to a complete stop on snow covered hills. And the back end slides out in turns. Cargo space looks good. But I can't fit my mountain bike (wheels removed) in it without folding down half of the back seat. In my wife's Corolla, I can fit my bike and my son's trailer in the trunk without dropping the seat. Anyone that says they get 30mpg, needs to let the rest of us in on their secret. 26 on long trips. 23 city/hwy. I don't feel safe taking my family anywhere in snowy conditions and am in the process of trading it in.

Great performance but needs improvements
By ARefaat on 01/14/10 19:58 PM (PST)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

While I really love the performance.. (incomparable handling and steering, 4 speed transmission really helpful on mountains and have no problems at high speeds) the bumpy ride and the bad interior built quality keeps me from enjoying the drive of this great performance. compared to any other small SUV or even mid sedan I've been in the ride of this car is very bumpy the car shakes constantly... also the quality of putting the interior together is not the best and this shows as annoying rattling noises, also even with putting the driver seat at highest position the seat is still sitting low which is not a very comfortable thing neither

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Subaru Forester in VA is:

$103 per month*