Used 2009 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Great car, but...
By St.Paul on 03/29/08 13:46 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

The 2009 Forester is a re-design. Bought Topaz Gold (hides the dirt) and love the huge moonroof. No one told me that the premium package had been seriously downgraded since the previous model year. So, do your research on this car, things have changed. Drives nice, steering is a little light at low speeds, basic cloth seats are cheap w/no lumbar support, tons of road noise with this model, could use a little more power, moonroof not tinted, reclining rear seats are a joke. Go top of the line and get turbo and power leather - you'll be happy.

Another 1st time Subaru owner
By Fanatical on 03/28/08 21:16 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X L.L.Bean Edition 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

After many comparisons, the Forester sold me on build quality, performance, gas mileage and amenities. This is the perfect fit! I tow a small boat, venture off road a bit and have to deal with the winters of New England. The seats are oh so comfy! I feel as if the vehicle were built around me. I'm 6' 200 lbs and there's no bumping of the elbows, loads of open air above and tons of cargo room for the family. Handling is nimble and easy, the quiet cabin is a pure joy. The other impressive feature is the view, no blind spots, easy to back a trailer, the front view is panoramic! Absolutely love the suspension, not too hard or soft, easy to park, cruises with ease. Gas mileage is right on!

New Forester- Very nice re-design
By Runnin on 03/26/08 13:44 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Compared to the old design, this is much larger, more quiet, smoother, substantially more comfortable, higher up. More mainstream look. More SUV then jacked-up wagon now.

A good update for Forester
By kurtamaxxguy on 03/24/08 16:52 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

For '09 Subaru showed it listened to its customers and Endowed the '09 Forester with many enhancements improving functionality, drivability and all around usefulness. The ride and handling match that of many Euros (which would be helpless on roads the Forester devours), and the interior flexibility make it roomy and versatile. The interior shows budget limitations w/ hard plastics, etc., but is better than before and NVH is substantially reduced. If you value functionality over style, the Forester outdoes its CSUV competition by a wide margin!

If you want functionality over style
By Bvanity2010 on 03/22/08 18:00 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC, Nav (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought this car on 3/17/08 and I have been plesently suprised. I purchased the 2.5X Limited. I love the navigation and the materials. I looked at the version with a sunroof, I liked it but, with the sunroof it greatly reduced the head room.

1st time Subie owner
By LuvMySubie on 03/14/08 19:38 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought one of the first 2009 Foresters off the boat. This is my 1st time owning a Subaru. So far (2 weeks, 500 miles) I love the car! Good looks (topaz gold), adequate power (5 speed manual shifts tight & smooth), quiet in the cabin, and great MPG (28+). The moonroof is huge. The build quality (espcly for a new model) is flawless. The IPOD i/f is great. And having AWD with the VDC feature is great in snow. Safety features are lengthy & very impressive. Price was competitive. And resale should be great down the road. My only complaints so far are that the HVAC blower is a little noisier than it should be, and the [variable assist] steering feels a bit too light when driving slow.

Best SUV on the Market Today!
By DMorris on 03/14/08 10:47 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/All Weather, Premium Pkg, VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I owned a 2004 Subaru Forester and then a 2007 Subaru Legacy Sedan Limited. This new Forester has everything and more! Great comfort, handling, performance and pickup!