2009 Subaru Forester SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
My 1st Subie
By JP3 on 05/05/08 07:51 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first Subaru and based on what I've seen so far it won't be my last. We had some pretty specific requirements for our next vehicle: A vehicle in which the whole family could fit including the dog. AWD (especially after this winter) Sunroof Manual. Not ugly. We looked at the Outback, RAV4 and CR- V and the Subaru beat the CR-V for real world driving. CR-V concerned me with part time AWD. RAV4 and Outback are more expensive with same options. The RAV4 actually has a 4x2 option? I also liked Subaru's dedication to safety. Side curtain air bags, active head restraints, roll over sensors and VDC all standard. There are a lot of extras in this SUV.

Fun and zippy ride!
By Lynn Coy on 05/02/08 22:49 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This being my first SUV, comming from an Aerostar van, I couldn't believe how fun it was to drive. Tight circles, merged right into traffic, sat high, could see all around me, and the leg room was wonderful. Plenty of room for my two teenagers in the back. Cool blue lights accenting cup holders in back, also.

2009 Subaru Forester ,Hearts Delight!!
By Pat B. on 04/26/08 13:32 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I love my Subaru Forester. I haven't been this happy about purchasing a vehicle in a long time. I truly love the new design of the Forester and the panoramic moon roof is the best. I get the best gas mileage with this car, and I feel very safe in this car. I am sure that I will keep this car around for a very long time. I feel good about my purchase.

Good mpg, Good everything.
By wes on 04/21/08 19:00 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Went to the Subaru dealership to test-drive an Impreza. Left with a 2009 Forester. After purchasing and then reading reviews, I was leery of mpg. Today, I averaged 27mpg. How can you complain about that with an SUV? Solid vehicle all around.

2009 Forester LLBean
By S. on 04/21/08 10:41 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X L.L.Bean Edition 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my 1st Subaru purchase and, having only had the vehicle 2 wks, I can say that I'm impressed thus far. Ride quality is superior to the Honda Accord that I also own. Mileage so far has been around 26-28 combined highway and city; mostly highway. I'm expecting better MPG once the engine has been broken in.

So far so good
By magman117 on 04/11/08 11:13 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X L.L.Bean Edition 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC, Nav (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the 2009 LL Bean w/nav to replace my 2004 XS premium. The 2009 is much quieter at highway speeds and the seats are more comfortable. I have only put 100 miles on the 09, but I did put 83,000 on the 04 (yeah I know, still new for a Subaru). Some pluses over the 04 are rear seat legroom, power driver seat, navigation, auto stick, VDC, side airbags, good looks, although I liked my ugly/unique 04. One problem, I can't understand why there is still only a 4 speed automatic. The vehicle is quiet enough but the RPMs are still high. I think the vehicle with a 5 or 6 speed would get gas mileage in the 30s. Imagine how many people would buy it. Gas in NY is over $3.45 (regular).

Another 1st time Subie owner
By kurtamaxxguy on 03/29/08 17:55 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

Tackling 45 degree potholed hills with no problems, this '09 Forester XT's practical (plenty of interior room given size, tight turn circle), and fun to drive (euro-style ride and handling). Turbo and SPORT A/T mode helps in passing, but some turbo lag remains (5 speed would better match power to wheels). No fuel miser (18 mpg mostly city) but may improve when broken in. Despite being 1st year car, is well finished (dash squeaks, clumsy rear hatch opening only irritants). Leather spices up decent if unremarkable interior. Good auto A/C, well laid out engine bay, other thoughtful touches. Huge ground clearance at 9 inches. A car offering practicality over style, and does it well.

Great car, but...
By St.Paul on 03/29/08 13:46 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

The 2009 Forester is a re-design. Bought Topaz Gold (hides the dirt) and love the huge moonroof. No one told me that the premium package had been seriously downgraded since the previous model year. So, do your research on this car, things have changed. Drives nice, steering is a little light at low speeds, basic cloth seats are cheap w/no lumbar support, tons of road noise with this model, could use a little more power, moonroof not tinted, reclining rear seats are a joke. Go top of the line and get turbo and power leather - you'll be happy.

Another 1st time Subaru owner
By Fanatical on 03/28/08 21:16 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X L.L.Bean Edition 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

After many comparisons, the Forester sold me on build quality, performance, gas mileage and amenities. This is the perfect fit! I tow a small boat, venture off road a bit and have to deal with the winters of New England. The seats are oh so comfy! I feel as if the vehicle were built around me. I'm 6' 200 lbs and there's no bumping of the elbows, loads of open air above and tons of cargo room for the family. Handling is nimble and easy, the quiet cabin is a pure joy. The other impressive feature is the view, no blind spots, easy to back a trailer, the front view is panoramic! Absolutely love the suspension, not too hard or soft, easy to park, cruises with ease. Gas mileage is right on!

New Forester- Very nice re-design
By Runnin on 03/26/08 13:44 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Compared to the old design, this is much larger, more quiet, smoother, substantially more comfortable, higher up. More mainstream look. More SUV then jacked-up wagon now.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Subaru Forester Suv in VA is:

$103 per month*