Used 2009 Subaru Forester SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

2009 Subaru Forester SUV

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Not Thrilled
By Jim Porter

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC, Nav (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I am very disappointed with the features of this vehicle that are not working properly. The radio has poor reception and Subaru keeps telling us that it is a setting that needs to be changed on the radio itself, Unfortunately that is not the problem. When you fade just to the rear speakers the radio barely comes in at all and the reception is poor on any setting. The rim design on the 2.5X Limited is also poor the vehicle is sold as an all wheel drive for snow and other types of bad driving conditions, however when it snows more than 4" snow gets in the inner part of the rim and freezes over night causing the vehicle to shake excessively at 40 plus mph. We are being told to purchase other rims.

Favorite Features

Sunroof. Heated Seats. The all wheel drive system is excellent while driving in bad conditions. The next morning is the problem!

Suggested Improvements

Poor rim design, radio reception, better Subaru customer service. I do not believe a consumer should have the cost of replacing poorly designed rims in an all wheel drive vehicle. The radio is not easily replaced since the navigation system is part of it. Subaru should take care of these issues!

Disappointed
By Renee

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have been disappointed in this vehicle! The insulation in this vehicle is poor. The heater works wonderfully but just about freeze my legs on the driver side. The dealership installed an electronic start and I believe they have messed up the electrical system as nothings seems quite right. What about the mileage. I am seeing 15-18 and I now have 4000 miles on this vehicle and am NOT speeding. I left my keys in the car and turned OFF yet in less than 3 hours my car battery was totally DEAD. This certainly can't be a safety feature to have a battery lose charge this quickly. I agree about the noise!

Favorite Features

I do have some favorite features which is why I bought it. Our winter has been snowy and icy and the car is wonderful for both. I love the exterior look.

Suggested Improvements

See my review - add to that a cheap radio, cheap plastic, and cheap coffee holders. I am also asking for consideration to redesign the rear door latch. THIS IS A FIRST DESIGN and the problems look it! I am disappointed.

Working Fine For Me
By happysofar

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first Subaru and so far I'm pleased overall. However, the lack of lumbar support and position of the head rests do make this somewhat uncomfortable. They take some getting use to. (My petite wife complains even more than I do.) The console holds my travel mug just fine. The biggest plus for this is the sure-footedness I encountered in snow/icy conditions. The AWD really grips, and the handling is very responsive. I bought the manual because that's what I enjoy driving and wanted to get the better gas mileage. The throw into 5th is a bit of a reach. The first four gears are fine and smooth. Gas mileage 26.4 overall. Traveling over 65 brings MPG down quickly.

Favorite Features

Handling is great--especially in snow. The exterior is very attractive. The heated cloth seats are very nice on a cold morning. Easy to get in and out of this vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Adding lumbar support for the driver would be very appreciated. The location of the switch for heated seat is awkward. The head rest position may be a great safety improvement, but it really can be annoying until you get the seat and height of the head rest adjusted just right.

Great Ride
By cosailor

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

After 3 months of driving, I'm pleased to say this is a great vehicle. The ride is smooth, cabin noise is low if you remove the rack crossbars. The turbo really adds to the experience once you get used to the surge as it kicks in. Effortlessly cruises at 75 MPH. The AWD is sure footed and the heated wipers, mirrors, and seats are wonderful during the CO winters. Actual mileage is good, 22 around town, 25 on the highway though if you drive aggressively in town you can easily drop the city mileage to mid- teens. It's a turbo after all. Coming from a Volvo S60 AWD, I find the Forester similiar in many ways. Well maybe not the dash materials but it's just fine, I didn't pay S60 prices.

Favorite Features

Handling, ride, power, mileage, and many of the standard luxury items. Moon roof is awesome when driving in the mountains.

Suggested Improvements

Okay, someone tell Subaru how to build a stereo. Even with the sub-woofer it's barely adequate. What's with the headliner material? Opening glass in tail gate would be nice. Low passenger seat.

Poor Design
By Forester

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

The headrests on this vehicle are designed so that they push the driver's head down and forward. This causes a number of people to have severe headaches and back pain after an average commute. In addition, there are NO cupholders in this vehicle. Subaru does not want a Subaru owner to drink fluids while they drive the vehicle... this according to Subaru corporate. The transmission is tough to get into reverse about 30% of the time. Experience with other makes and models indicates that transmissions that are difficult to put into reverse when new, are maintenance headaches later on. Engine runs a little rough after only 4000 miles.

Favorite Features

The exterior colors are well done.

Suggested Improvements

Subaru needs to admit its mistake and do a recall on the headrests and cupholder.