2009 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Everything I was looking for
By redherring1 on 05/28/08 05:56 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

Have had my XT Limited for almost a month and couldn't be happier with it; I'm 6'4" and was having trouble finding a small SUV that fit--RAV4 wasn't even close (knees jammed into the dash), CRV was tight on the right knee (and I've owned the 2 previous generation CRV's that were fine in that respect) and too slow; driver's seat in the Acura RDX was ok, but the passenger seat didn't go back as far and again jammed my knees into the dash--I'm not going to buy a car I can't ride in as a passenger. The Forester has cavernous headroom, plenty of legroom, a better designed and more useful cargo area than the CRV, and is quicker, cheaper and has a much more comfortable ride than the RDX.

Just picked it up....so far so good
By Jon on 05/27/08 23:29 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/All Weather, Premium Pkg, VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Just traded in my 2007 on a 2009. My wife wanted automatic and I wanted her Civic for commuting, so quick pro quo was we keep a subie in the family if I get the new Forester, fair enough for me the subie can be our family roadster. Decided to lease, because I think diesel, hybrid and other technologies are going to be preferred in a year or two. I'm really impressed by the new design, big step forward. If I believe the gas mileage meter it's definitely better than the 2007, even before breaking it in. I'll test it in the moutains soon!

2nd Forester and more to come
By patton4457 on 05/26/08 19:35 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Just bought my second Forester by trading in my '04 gem. She had close to 100,000 miles on her already and had never had one simple thing go wrong with her. Hated to part with her but love my new forester even more. Didn't think that would be possible. Also, didn't think I would get as good of gas mileage as I have so far. Avg. 25mpg both city and highway and it is nowwhere near broken in. Extra room is awesome. Ride is awesome. Would recommend one to anybody.

New To Subaru
By Camrytimes2 on 05/24/08 12:20 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Decided to buy a Subaru after owning 3 Hondas and 3 Toyotas. Moved to the top of a very steep "second gear up" hill 2 years ago and wanted AWD. Have had the Forester for 2 months and the quality seems to be quite good. Snow season passed prior to purchase, but have driven my sister's 2007 Forester in the snow and it was a transcendent experience. Handles well in corners and on highway. Highway MPG is about 28. Engine isn't a powerhouse during hill-climbing around town, but no complaint here with such good MPG figures.

Great ride/handling balance
By Ordered one on 05/20/08 07:40 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X L.L.Bean Edition 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We test drove an X model with the Premium package, and then an LL Bean model with NAV. Both were impressive, but we liked the perforated leather so we opted for that. The GPS was not set up for our region, but it didn't seem very intuitive so we passed. Ride is quite good and it corners very flat. It drives smoothly and SportShift is quick, completing shifts in a fraction of a second. This vehicle has the best visibility in its class, others have wide D- pillars and high rear windows and then try to up-sell you on a rear backup cam that is a cash cow for them, so you pay for their poor design. Can't wait to take delivery.

Great Little CSUV
By Terry C on 05/16/08 00:47 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Stopped at the local dealer to just to look at the new Foresters but after a brief test drive I was hooked. I traded in my full size pick up a day later on the new 09 Forester 2.5X with the premium package. The handling is sporty and the ride is smooth. The fit and finish impeccable, much better then the truck. The headlights are very bright on high and really light up the road. The automatic transmission shifts smooth and is well geared. Theres tons of interior space and very comfortable seating. The huge moon roof is a nice feature it nearly extends all the way to the back seats.Power windows and key less entry are standard even on the base models. Oh and the gas mileage is awesome!

Faithful Subaru Owner
By Rhode Island on 05/12/08 06:24 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Pleasantly surprised on the fuel efficiency. So far I've averaged more than 26 mpg on every tank of gas and that is for mixed highway & city driving. (I'm still waiting for a hybrid or clean diesel from Subaru however). I was looking to purchase the new Outback Wagon, but decided on the new Forester because my husband actually fits comfortably (he's 6'4") and I liked the visibility. Overall I'm excited about the new car & happy with my purchase! I would recommend the Forester to a friend!

First Time Subaru Owner
By JGatsby on 05/11/08 19:20 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

The sticker said 20 mpg city, 26 mpg hwy, average around 22 mpg. I drove this new vehicle in mixed city/hwy for the first week and got 26 mpg. Then we took it on a 500 mile trip over the weekend and I got 31.6 mpg. When I finally break this vehicle in, I'll let you know if it gets any better. Amazing! It bought it for its utility, safety, and dependability. This gas thing is a big bonus.

Wife's new toy
By Kman on 05/09/08 00:44 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Just brought home a Sage Green Forester last week, wanted something very safe, reliable and user friendly. So far it has been a fantastic vehicle. Could not get the LL Bean or ex package in the color we wanted so have added the heavy duty mats, cargo mat and cover and will probabily add the fog lights. 600 miles on it and right at 28 mpg. Getting lots of looks as people try to figure out what it is from the side. I think it's the best value out there

2009 L.L.Bean Forester
By Dave on 05/08/08 06:30 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X L.L.Bean Edition 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Traded my 06 WRX in for this car. Loving it so far, first car with leather and most options for that matter. Needed more room with 2 children, and we got it. I can sit in the front passenger seat where I could not in the WRX.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Subaru Forester in VA is:

$103 per month*