Used 2009 Subaru Forester SUV Consumer Reviews - 226 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Subaru Forester SUV - Consumer Reviews

2009 Subaru Forester SUV

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Should have kept my 05 Forester
By MCHaley

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is the fourth Subaru I have bought and I have loved all of them except for this one. Where do I begin?? Well for starters the interior rattles like a bucket of bolts, I took it back at around 10 K because the exhaust center pipe had a faulty weld. Got that fixed and two weeks later the transmission (manual) started making a noise. It turns out that it was machined wrong where the driveshaft meets the tranny and it needed a whole new unit. I just got it back two days ago now it sounds like the passenger CV joint is clicking when I turn right. This car is absolute garbage!!! I wish I would have kept my 05 Forester!!!!

The fact that it is a lease and under warranty!

Subaru should have done more R&D before they released the new model.

Pleasantly surprised
By oc22071

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC, Nav (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my first Subaru purchase after owning mostly German cars. I got the forester to accommodate baby seat in the back and has plenty of room for front passenger even with rear facing baby seat. I would like to have the option of power front passenger seat but was not offered on any trim level.

Navigation system, comfortable leather seating, roominess.

Optional power front passenger seat

Porous engine block
By totlook

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I really was enjoying my new car until I found all these oil spots on my driveway. I brought it in figuring loose hose. No, Porous engine block. New engine now. Car is running fine but gas mileage has dropped considerably. They keep telling me to be patient but on a new car that is hard to do. I was getting between 20 and 21 in town and 24 to 26mpg on highway. I have not seen the number 20 since they replaced the engine. The reason I bought the car was for at least 20mpg and now I am stuck. This is my 4th Subaru. I have always been happy but this really makes me angry. Not sure I would buy another. I was going to by a Honda Highlander - I should have.

The car looks good, easy to drive and good handling.

Adjustable passenger seat, they are in a hole. Better radio. And an engine that does not need replacement after 2 months.

HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT!
By dena

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Don't even think about buying this car! I have had it for about 6 months & absolutely regret buying this car. The exterior is great but the interior is cheap & poorly designed. The fabric on the doors already looks worn, the electric seats crack the plastic covers around the legs every time I move the seat back, the rubber seal around the back passenger door fell off... The position of the seat heater knobs is unreachable while driving. Plus, my factory installed remote start doesn't work unless the car is already warmed up. The dealership says there have been other complaints about this happening but nothing is being done to fix it. Subaru customer service is terrible. Don't buy this car!!

The big sunroof is nice but it doesn't "pop" open & if you drive in wind the sound can be deafening.

Use leather on the door trims if the seats are leather - like my '07 legacy. Reposition the buttons for the seat heaters. Get customer service that actually serves your customers!!!!!

Lovin' the Subi!
By Kristin

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first Subaru purchase and I love it! I also looked at the CR-V and Rav-4, and wasn't impressed by either. The Forester has a better build and a symmetric AWD that is untouched in the automotive world. Plus, I got a lot more car from my money. It is fun to drive, handles beautifully (especially in the snow), and has plenty of room but you don't feel like you're driving a bus. And it does come with heated cloth seats and a front license plate mount--I have them both! The cup holders are fine, too, and there are eight of them. Not sure what people are complaining about...

Heated cloth seats, huge moonroof, back seats that fold completely down in one shot, lots of head room.

Stereo sound isn't the greatest and a release for the rear gate would be nice.