2009 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Loyalist remains loyal
By Tom on 06/13/08 22:21 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I loved my old Legacy way (97). The new 09 Forester is a perfect size for my small family. Excellent Visibily, handly, performance, brakes, suspension that dampens road bump, quite cabin with well insultated dooe frames, Versatility (family car on pavement, country car on dirt roads nice clearance. Simple yet functional ergonomics, good power on base.

A Balanced Solution
By Snot-Rocket on 06/12/08 19:23 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We needed a platform that would accommodate a family of 4 for day trips, camping, daily commuting, Home Depot runs and just a general all-rounder so that we can keep the gas guzzling van in the car port as much as possible. The new Forester is turning into the most useful/loved car I've ever owned. It can easily accommodate a family of four. The seats fold down smartly and easily (no removing head rests) to provide a large cargo capacity. Visibility is excellent from all position for negotiating traffic and the size is perfect- big enough for a family of four, yet small enough for easy city driving and parking...all the comforts of a car w/ a bit of off road capability to boot!

Move Over Little Ford Ranger
By rosie on 06/10/08 06:43 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Some of my friends hinted at the fact that I should test drive a Subaru while I was looking at new vehicles. I was actually really impressed with the handling & ride. Of course, I'm very biased coming from a '97 Ford Ranger with manual everything in the truck. I'm pleased with the interior layout and comfortable seating. Also, I purchased the Forester with auto dim mirror w/ compass, aero cross bars, cargo net vertical, and all weather mats, and body side molding kit (and a few other options I'm probably forgetting). I haven't broken in the engine yet and I am getting 28 - 31 mpg on the highway and 25 - 21 mpg city. Very happy with my purchase!

Second Subaru owner
By Suzanne on 06/09/08 14:28 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X L.L.Bean Edition 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I Loved my 2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan, but after my son totalled it (oops) I knew I wanted a second Subaru. Spending more than I ever expected, I purchased the L.L. Bean edition 2009 Forester. I do love the car, but have three concerns. The plastic panel which covers the radio is not clear. It makes the numbers sl. blurry. Also, and of greater concern is that I experience a slight sideways motion when going over bumps. Will contact the dealer. Gas mileage not as good as I hoped for. 22.2 mpg. Sounds like I don't like my new car, but I love the reliability of Subaru. It's a beautiful car. As impressive on the outside as a Lexus.

Wife loves it
By Glen on 06/06/08 09:48 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Decided on the 2009 Forester after shopping for a 2008 and seeing the new 2009. Compared to the RAV4 and CRV, the '09 Forester won hands down. Subaru did their homework and addressed the shortcomings of their own as well as those of their competition. My wife loves her new "SUV" although it doesn't feel like one. The 4 cylinder has more than adequate acceleration but lacks a little on the highway. The quality, fit, and comfort are superb. I'm a little disappointed with gas mileage so far with 20 around town and pushing 25 highway. Maybe it will get better after more break in (900 miles so far). I trust this Subie will last a long time.

Hooked on the Forester
By Idahojeeper on 06/05/08 09:27 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We were looking for a fun vehicle capable of easy off-road use with decent mileage and towable behind a motor home. Guess what: there aren't many choices that meet all these criteria. After searching the few options available we discovered the Forester. We're glad we did. This vehicle does it all. It's fun to drive, very capable in the snow, OK off the pavement, and has good fuel economy. The cabin is comfortable and very roomy for a small vehicle. Fit and finish is excellent. As with most crossovers there are compromises. It's not a rock crawler and it's not a sports car. However it does provide solid dependable transportation.

Surprising
By Pukfan on 06/05/08 09:17 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Long time Outback sport owner looking for a replacement - test drove this, Impreza & WRX. A new driving experience that the entire family loves. Moonroof and excellent visibility combined with solid AWD traction is something that just needs to be experienced. Interior well- designed but material seems cheap. Transmission a key addition IMO - manual setting perfect for onramps/passing, off-roads. Tip to buyers - agree on price then say you will buy if dealer throws in accessories (that used to be standard) like cargo cover & tray, nets, etc. Also read the manual - a lot of things can be adjusted that might not consider. Looking forward to another 180,000 miles like I got on my last subaru.

My First Subaru
By hell_force on 06/03/08 14:57 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Just purchased this SUV for 2 weeks. Have about 500 miles on it. No major complaints here. The mpg is about 21 city and 27 hwy. The AWD and turning radius are great. One minor thing, you can feel a noticeable delay when it goes from a lower gear to a higher one sometimes. Overall, the ride has been great, especially on inclines, where new Forester truly separates itself from 2008 CRV. The interior is good, although I wanted a LL beans, but for the price, I have no regrets. The exterior looks much better than CRV and RAV-4. Also, it does not hurt to know that Forester is 100% Japanese from parts to assembly. It is my first Subaru, hope its reliability is as good as Honda and Toyota.

All good!
By domo2880 on 06/01/08 22:30 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/All Weather, Premium Pkg, VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I decided on the Forester after seeing the new platform for the '09 model. I leased an Impreza in the past and have always had a thing for Subaru vehicles, but hte look of the older model Foesters had always kept me away. This new style is just what I needed to get me in the Forester camp.

I found what I was looking for!
By timdimi on 05/31/08 16:35 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I had test driven several Foresters from previous years with the moonroof and did not fit (6'2 280). Finally in 09 the head clearance is improved, and the seats are comfortable. As a first time Subaru owner, I am surprised at the the tight handling, adequate acceleration and how much fun it was to drive. I drove the X for a week and then returned it for the X w/ premium pkg. because of the extra features.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Subaru Forester in VA is:

$104 per month*