Used 2009 Subaru Forester SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Subaru Forester SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT!
By dena

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Don't even think about buying this car! I have had it for about 6 months & absolutely regret buying this car. The exterior is great but the interior is cheap & poorly designed. The fabric on the doors already looks worn, the electric seats crack the plastic covers around the legs every time I move the seat back, the rubber seal around the back passenger door fell off... The position of the seat heater knobs is unreachable while driving. Plus, my factory installed remote start doesn't work unless the car is already warmed up. The dealership says there have been other complaints about this happening but nothing is being done to fix it. Subaru customer service is terrible. Don't buy this car!!

The big sunroof is nice but it doesn't "pop" open & if you drive in wind the sound can be deafening.

Use leather on the door trims if the seats are leather - like my '07 legacy. Reposition the buttons for the seat heaters. Get customer service that actually serves your customers!!!!!

Lovin' the Subi!
By Kristin

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first Subaru purchase and I love it! I also looked at the CR-V and Rav-4, and wasn't impressed by either. The Forester has a better build and a symmetric AWD that is untouched in the automotive world. Plus, I got a lot more car from my money. It is fun to drive, handles beautifully (especially in the snow), and has plenty of room but you don't feel like you're driving a bus. And it does come with heated cloth seats and a front license plate mount--I have them both! The cup holders are fine, too, and there are eight of them. Not sure what people are complaining about...

Heated cloth seats, huge moonroof, back seats that fold completely down in one shot, lots of head room.

Stereo sound isn't the greatest and a release for the rear gate would be nice.

Wow What an Amazing Turbo
By Neil

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5XT 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

Just purchased 09 turbo - forget the base - way underpowered, awful stereo. The turbo is a blast to drive, no lag at all! Punches holes in traffic. Amazing tight feel, great turning radius, better stereo - still not the greatest but not bad, perfect dog/hiking car. The best car for the rain - Seattle gets just a little rain - haha. Overall a really huge improvement over the last Forester and looks so much better, a very attractive car. Do not bother with the limited 3 grand for leather - Major rip off. Get the base turbo and be happy!

Turbo, handling, nice ride, blue color, better hood scoop, well executed interior. Fun to drive!

Mileage is avg. 17-could be better. Reg. gas would be nice. Seats are a little hard - but nothing a pad and sheepskins cant cure - that's what I did on my last Forester and those seats were really hard!

Annual Update - '09 Forester
By BikerGuy

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I did a review here when I first purchased my 09 Forester. I've now owned the vehicle for 1 year/11,000 miles, so here is an update. I still really enjoy this car! The AWD was so amazing in the Pacific NW storms this winter, that I bought another Forester for my girlfriend. Only major disappointment is with the thickness/quality of the exterior sheetmetal/paint. It seems to be lower quality & less durable than other SUV's I've owned. My early production model had undersized plastic film fender protectors, so paint chipped and fenders now need to be repaired & repainted.

Favorites features are the AWD, M/T, huge sunroof, ipod i/f, great fuel economy (26-28 mpg around town), safety features, rear visibility, easy fold down rear seats, great cargo capacity.

Better quality exterior paint.

09 Forester
By brian

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/All Weather, Premium Pkg, VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have only had this car a few weeks. At this point I'm very satisfied. I have no major complaints. Yes I do have a slight rattle related to the sunroof cover on the inside of car. Not a big deal. Options I bought, tweeter, woofer, IPod connection, fog lights, all weather mats, cargo tray, rear spoiler, hood protector, rugged package (You should buy the rugged package). Handles great on slick streets. Have had to break under emergency condition one time and handling and breaks worked well. Acceleration is very adequate for my driving style. Right now MPG is holding at 22. I have shown this car to many friends who all like it, some of whom had given me a hard time over the type of car.

The huge sunroof is great. The styling is very nice. I really like the stance of the car, high ground clearance. Newport Blue is a great color. I Pod connection is a nice feature. So far very happy with everything. Fun to drive.

At this point he only thing I would change is the the seat heat controls. They are too far back on the center console. Minor issue however. I know many have complained about the sound system. With the woofer and tweeters I enjoy the system, always have the I Pod plugged and playing.