2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

2009 Forester Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Sort Reviews by

Low passenger seat
By svskyus

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X L.L.Bean Edition 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Nice car, first Subi in 15 years. Drove all the others, studied the forums, happy with my choice. Only disappointment is the passenger's seat, very very low and not adjustable for height. Wife can barely see out! Fun to drive, feels solid, great viability in all directions. Great safety and best AWD around. Warning: Check your tire pressure after delivery from dealer. Many, including myself, have found the tires seriously overinflated (46 psi). Risk of tire failure this time of year!

Favorite Features

Fairly quiet, easy to drive, comfortable leather seats, great fit and finish, looks nice, love the Sage Green color. Stereo just OK. Expecting good MPG when car is broken in.

Suggested Improvements

Make the passenger seat height adjustable!! Better armrests... can't rest my elbow on them when driving, and I'm 6'. Better cabin storage, coin holder, better drink holder in bin: square?? My drinks are round.

Happy with purchase, esp. gas mileage!
By J&J

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our new 2009 Forester, after going in to look at an Impreza. We had just been in a bad accident (totaled our car) and we were impressed with how easy it was to get in and out of the Forester. We prefer a manual shift as we live in the mountains and have been impressed with the mileage. We are pretty much averaging 30 mpg! We have 1800 miles on the car. We've only taken 2 long trips on the highway and we even hit 32 mpg at times on those. The car is a little underpowered, we have to downshift to get up some of the hills when we didn't have to downshift in our VW Jetta. There is a LOT of room inside, especially leg room. The hatch makes it easy to load and unload.

Favorite Features

We like the radio controls on the steering wheel, particularly the Mute button. We also got the rear bumper cover and all weather mats.

Suggested Improvements

None so far!

Oh So Sweet
By jmt

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I did a bunch of research before buying this vehicle and I was a bit hesitant buying a transition year. Don't hesitate. If you are thinking about this car run to your dealer, test drive it an pick your options. I was lucky enough to find a manual base model with the PZEV option. Without boring you with the technical details the bottom line is that the emissions from this car are almost the same as a Hybrid and only costs a few hundred dollars more. I have been averaging 28 MPG doing serious mountain driving. Up and down passes dirt roads etc. It handles everything effortlessly. So save the extra 10 grand and buy a Forester PZEV. NOt to mention the ongoing expense of batteries,tires.

Favorite Features

Fit and feel features like the steering wheel, seats, easy open rear hatch. Zippy 4 cylinder boxer engine. MPG. Handling. Overall room especially in the rear seats. I pod connection. Clearance. Styling.

Suggested Improvements

Better base stereo. But you can tweak the adjustments to make it work. Other than that they have nailed this vehicle. This is the best designed and built vehicle for $20,000 I have owned.

Great car.
By Daily driver

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5XT 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

We bought our Forester Turbo at a little over $26k USD. The inside is amazingly spacious, enough legroom for 4 decently sized adults. Turbo hits hard from like 2500RPM-5000RPM, which is more than necessary for normal driving. Yeah, it could use a 5th gear because the high RPMs feel dead, but it's really not necessary. It goes fast enough. Tiptronic is nice. Your mileage will top out at about actually 27mpg for 100% highway driving, no AC and windows open at a constant speed of 60MPH (2100RPM). The XT WILL embarrass any other 4- cylinder car (with the exception of the really high end ones) and it will most certainly keep up with the 6's and 8's. Adequate trunk space. 5 star crash rating.

Favorite Features

Acceleration, interior space, sound system on the XT and the limited versions, huge sunroof, sports grille, illuminated interior at night (blue LED), puddle lights, feels much more upscale than the Rav-4. Feels like you're driving/riding in a sedan.

Suggested Improvements

The power windows button doesn't light up. Hard to adjust your mirrors at night. Could use a 5 speed auto for higher top end acceleration and better fuel economy (but the car is really fast anyway).. stick shift? And maybe HIDs.

I drive for a living
By I Drive

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I drive a ton of miles a year (50-70K) and hate to read a review from somebody who bought a car last week and says "It's the best I've ever had." Well, yeah. I've had my Forester for a few months and already have 9000 miles without a hitch. I'm getting 28-30 mpg and like the ride on both highway and in town. The stereo is adequate, not great. Cargo room is like my previous 07 Forester. I wish I got the 5 speed to improve the performance off the line. When I drive in NYC my leg got cramped in my old car...a trade off. I'm just mad that the car policy at work changed and I have to sell it.

Favorite Features

Wider, longer, higher, overall looks. Framed windows reduce wind noise. Color choices and interior are much improved. The base model is nicely equipped and has a great safety record. Leg room for rear passengers at last!

Suggested Improvements

The price of the Sirius radio is outrageous. If you buy a receiver elsewhere, the money you save pays satellite subscription for 3 years!

It made me a fan
By ArcadeTom

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5XT 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

Up until this June I have owned Jeeps. Always 4x4 or AWD and never figured I would drive anything "non- American". With gas going higher I had to get something newer and found this new Subie to be fantastic in MPG and fun. I never believed that anything could be so much fun to drive and still be a SUV. It has plenty of room, 9 inches of ground clearance, handles like a sports car and rides like a Cadillac. It has made me a believer and a fan. If everything I have read about this and previous Subarus is true, I will enjoy driving this one for a very long time.

Favorite Features

I don't know where to start except at the top. I love the ginormous sunroof! I love the VDC! It screams around corners as well as straight roads! Outstanding!

Suggested Improvements

The one improvement I can think of would be to make the subwoofer standard instead of optional. It sounds good, just needs a little "kick".

Subaru Newbie
By Birdboy

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X L.L.Bean Edition 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

The Forester handles well at all speeds. It is peppy and climbs hills well especially when in sport mode. Is relatively quiet. The gas mileage has been good so far. I got 28-30mpg driving speeds around 55-65. Cabin is both roomy and comfortable, except for passengers seat. Visability is excellent

Favorite Features

Dash display lighting at night, daytime running lights, heated windshield and seats, power seat adjustments for driver's seat

Suggested Improvements

Rear door release inside car, relocate heated seats control, upgrade stereo sound, get outside XM antenna mount, tint sunroof window darker, use less plastic on the interior dash better cup holder design, cover for small items on console, lumbar and seat height for passenger seat.

Nice, but areas for improvement
By board_jay

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/All Weather, Premium Pkg, VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Overall I like the vehicle and the dealer where I bought it was great. Got the Premium AWP in 5sp manual. Shifting is touchy on it compared to my VW which is more forgiving, but I'll get used to that over time. Pretty decent MPG - 25mpg around town on the 1st tank of gas. Looks nice, I'd recommend the front and rear spoilers to make it look different. I am 6'5" and fit in it fine with the moonroof and with my toddler or infant in a car seat behind me. There are some things to improve upon such as stock radio which is horrible until you add the sub and the tweeter kit and then it sounds pretty good. Also wish they had window rainguards and there is some whistling w/all windows open.

Favorite Features

AUX in for external Sirius sportster, heated seats w/cloth seats (don't need to buy leather), 5sp manual w/hill hold, styling, front & rear seat room, 2400# towing, ride/handling, steering wheel controls, dealer.

Suggested Improvements

iPod interface has one major flaw: unable to browse artists fast. They should make it so if you hold down the up or down arrow in CAT that it moves by letter of the alphabet to get to artists faster. Also, when you turn off/on the ignition you should not have to reset all the back to A artists!

Functional and Fun
By Tom

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my Forester for a month. So far, so good. The four speed automatic is dated but Subaru has retained it for a reason - it is a work horse that fits my day to day needs. With proper maintenance, I am confident it will serve me well for miles to come. The car looks great from the outside and the interior design is fun and functional. The car is raised off the road yet handles with agility. The ride is secure and firm but drivers seat could use lumbar support. Great visibility and standard safetly features. The Forester is a terrific family hauler at an affordable price. Nice job, Subaru!

Favorite Features

Standard MP3 jack. Deep door cargo space. Nice headlights. Solid door frames. Build quality, fit and functionality.

Suggested Improvements

What's with the lack of lumbar support? Front seats could be wider. Tinted windows should be standard. A better stereo should be standard on the base model (four speakers doesn't cut it!)

Fun for the whole Family
By Herzart

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Traded in our 2005 Liberty and took a chance on Subaru Forester. Great room and space for me and my family and seems to have more room than the Liberty in some spots. Ride is comfortable. Steering and acceleration is quick and sporty. Test drove many compact SUVs. CRV was weak, Rav 4 was noisy and the Forester seemed to be the right fit and finish and less expensive. Panoramic moonroof in compact SUV! Only one in it's class to offer it. My wife loves the drive.

Favorite Features

Moonroof, ipod integration kit, radio control on steering wheel, smart use of interior space. Big windows creates bright ambient interior

Suggested Improvements

Radio could be better especially in the premium package. door handles seem flimsy