Used 2009 Subaru Forester SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Subaru Forester SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Fun and Functional
By Longhorn

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC, Nav (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Looks great, controls well laid out, incredible visibility, love the panoramic sun roof, comfortable and feel safe, sticks to the road like glue, good storage capacity, fun to drive. Turbo is a must, the standard 4 cylinder is underwhelming.

Appearance, road handling, performance, sun roof

Arm rests for drive and passenger, better Nav and computer system - Subaru version basic compared to Garmin, Tom Tom etc.

Love my Forester more each day
By 1st Time Subaru

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I was originally looking at Honda CRV and Toyota Rav4, but was concerned about their blind spots and bad rear visibility for backing up. So I looked at the Subaru (with AMAZING visibility in ALL directions) and sold on the appearance, performance and features. The Subaru Symetrical AWD is also superior to the 4WD technology on Honda and Toyota. Regarding other reviews: The base trim does not have cup holders in the back seat center console, but ALL trims have cup holders embedded in the back doors (perhaps the other reviewers haven't noticed?). The radio seems just fine to me. The passenger seat is low, but not a showstopper. The driver seat is very comfortable in the Limited trim.

Symetrical AWD, On and off road performance, Visibility, Amazing maneuverability/turn radius, Moon roof, Value for the price

For the price, I have no complaints

My 5th
By Rob

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my fifth Subaru, and I am very happy with it. With the M5 transmission, I am averaging 26 mpg in a rural setting. It has preformed well in snow [8" with drifts], and it has given me no problems. The added room in the back seat is a plus, and the general style is well suited. I do miss the quirky looks of the old Forester, it was unique and readily recognized by other Subaru drivers. The mechanics of this model seem to be better than the old though, it has a smoother ride, sits higher, and has a more solid feel to it while on the road.

added interior room, PZEV, higher road clearance, AWD

more cushion in the seats

My First Subaru
By Firstsubaruguy

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

After owning Lexus, Audi and Acura models in the past, I decided that paying for panache was no longer worth it. I wanted an SUV with good MPG and an excellent AWD system. After reading about the 2009 Forrester and the awards it has earned, the decision was easy. I got the fully loaded vehicle three days before 8 inches of snow fell, and driving in the snow was like driving on dry ground. The AWD system is as good as Audi's Quattro which to me in the gold standard. The Forrester is very comfortable and there's plenty of room for 5. As a music lover, I disliked the SUV's stereo speakers so much that I had them replaced even before pick up. So far, I'm very happy with it.

The All Wheel Drive system, heated lower windshield to defrost frozen wipers, comfort, hood scoop (brings back my memories of my 1968 GTO) and navigation system.

Much better quality stereo speakers, a five speed automatic transmission for better gas mileage, and a rearview camera built into the Navigation screen to provide safety when backing up.

Should have kept my 05 Forester
By MCHaley

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is the fourth Subaru I have bought and I have loved all of them except for this one. Where do I begin?? Well for starters the interior rattles like a bucket of bolts, I took it back at around 10 K because the exhaust center pipe had a faulty weld. Got that fixed and two weeks later the transmission (manual) started making a noise. It turns out that it was machined wrong where the driveshaft meets the tranny and it needed a whole new unit. I just got it back two days ago now it sounds like the passenger CV joint is clicking when I turn right. This car is absolute garbage!!! I wish I would have kept my 05 Forester!!!!

The fact that it is a lease and under warranty!

Subaru should have done more R&D before they released the new model.

• SUV