Used 2009 Subaru Forester SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Subaru Forester SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

My 5th
By Rob

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my fifth Subaru, and I am very happy with it. With the M5 transmission, I am averaging 26 mpg in a rural setting. It has preformed well in snow [8" with drifts], and it has given me no problems. The added room in the back seat is a plus, and the general style is well suited. I do miss the quirky looks of the old Forester, it was unique and readily recognized by other Subaru drivers. The mechanics of this model seem to be better than the old though, it has a smoother ride, sits higher, and has a more solid feel to it while on the road.

added interior room, PZEV, higher road clearance, AWD

more cushion in the seats

My First Subaru
By Firstsubaruguy

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

After owning Lexus, Audi and Acura models in the past, I decided that paying for panache was no longer worth it. I wanted an SUV with good MPG and an excellent AWD system. After reading about the 2009 Forrester and the awards it has earned, the decision was easy. I got the fully loaded vehicle three days before 8 inches of snow fell, and driving in the snow was like driving on dry ground. The AWD system is as good as Audi's Quattro which to me in the gold standard. The Forrester is very comfortable and there's plenty of room for 5. As a music lover, I disliked the SUV's stereo speakers so much that I had them replaced even before pick up. So far, I'm very happy with it.

The All Wheel Drive system, heated lower windshield to defrost frozen wipers, comfort, hood scoop (brings back my memories of my 1968 GTO) and navigation system.

Much better quality stereo speakers, a five speed automatic transmission for better gas mileage, and a rearview camera built into the Navigation screen to provide safety when backing up.

Should have kept my 05 Forester
By MCHaley

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is the fourth Subaru I have bought and I have loved all of them except for this one. Where do I begin?? Well for starters the interior rattles like a bucket of bolts, I took it back at around 10 K because the exhaust center pipe had a faulty weld. Got that fixed and two weeks later the transmission (manual) started making a noise. It turns out that it was machined wrong where the driveshaft meets the tranny and it needed a whole new unit. I just got it back two days ago now it sounds like the passenger CV joint is clicking when I turn right. This car is absolute garbage!!! I wish I would have kept my 05 Forester!!!!

The fact that it is a lease and under warranty!

Subaru should have done more R&D before they released the new model.

Pleasantly surprised
By oc22071

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC, Nav (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my first Subaru purchase after owning mostly German cars. I got the forester to accommodate baby seat in the back and has plenty of room for front passenger even with rear facing baby seat. I would like to have the option of power front passenger seat but was not offered on any trim level.

Navigation system, comfortable leather seating, roominess.

Optional power front passenger seat

Porous engine block
By totlook

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I really was enjoying my new car until I found all these oil spots on my driveway. I brought it in figuring loose hose. No, Porous engine block. New engine now. Car is running fine but gas mileage has dropped considerably. They keep telling me to be patient but on a new car that is hard to do. I was getting between 20 and 21 in town and 24 to 26mpg on highway. I have not seen the number 20 since they replaced the engine. The reason I bought the car was for at least 20mpg and now I am stuck. This is my 4th Subaru. I have always been happy but this really makes me angry. Not sure I would buy another. I was going to by a Honda Highlander - I should have.

The car looks good, easy to drive and good handling.

Adjustable passenger seat, they are in a hole. Better radio. And an engine that does not need replacement after 2 months.