2009 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Subie Forester XT Limited - ROCKS!
By Cap232 on 07/21/08 22:01 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Looked at everything from the new Maxima, Ford Flex,CRV,CX9 etc., name it I probably drove it. Went to the Subie dealer about three months ago, test drove all the above after my Subie dealer visit and measured price per feature, performance,safety, durability and cost(overall value). Each time the Subaru Forester XT Limited came back to the top and I went to drive again. Having owned several in Colorado, and took them all over 200K this Newport Blue Pearl became an easy choice with Consumer Reports recommended list pushing me along. The Turbo is not push you in the back of the seat turbo, just an "oh my gosh" I am at 60mph already turbo. Traded my Honda in for it and never looked back.

so far disappointed
By me2 on 07/19/08 18:10 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

If you are short (5'3") you may have trouble with the brake pedal - it's very soft and high, and if you try to rest your foot on it (like us shorties have to), it starts to brake immediately - very hard on your legs! And just 2600 miles on it, on a long road trip, the cruise control just stopped working, the "cruise control" warning light started blinking, the "traction control OFF" light came on, and the "check engine light" came on - can't bring in until next week - heaven knows what is going on - still had 300 miles to get home with car loaded with kids and gear.

First Subaru "Love" the Sage Green
By Bob on 07/19/08 13:22 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Vehicle is only one week old, not sure how many miles will be put on during the first year's travel. I am 6'8" had to wait for the 09 to get extra height. Love the head room even with the moonroof feature. It's mainly my wife's car. See all of you on the road.

Ecstatic!!!
By PPZ,II on 07/16/08 12:19 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/All Weather, Premium Pkg, VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

As a first time Subaru customer, I purchased this Forester on 6/30/08, after reading all of the reviews here, as well as on other websites. My wife and I traveled from Columbus, OH to Cleveland, OH (140 miles), with luggage and the A/C on, this past weekend, and averaged 29.1 mpg! We picked up my in-laws and their luggage and drove to Rome, NY, (an additional 370 miles) again with the A/C on, and for that portion of the trip, as well as the return trip, we averaged 28.2 mpg's! Now you know why I'm ecstatic - this Forester isn't even broken in, and it's getting excellent fuel efficiency. By the way, our Subaru is a PZEV (partial zero emissions vehicle).

Glad I waited for this vehicle!
By Very Happy! on 07/16/08 06:06 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am very pleased with this vehicle. I went from a Jeep to the Subaru and couldn't be happier. The utility of this vehicle is incredible and its most important function. The vehicle rides, drives, operates great. I have averaged no less than 28 mpg in mixed driving (50/50). I would recommend anyone needing something more than a car, but less than a giant SUV take a look! The turbo would have been nice, but out of my $ range, and sacrificing efficiency may not have been worth the performance - I can buy a motorcycle for those days. That said the non-turbo does great!

Subaru is a GREAT car
By Rob on 07/14/08 13:15 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my second Forester. I have loved the 2004 XS all-wheel drive, 4-disc brakes, the feel of quality, maneuverability, crash test safety, and practicality of a hatchback to haul or carrying stuff. (I love the XT, but it uses premium gas, so I avoided it in both cars). The 2009 is more elegant, taller, more room, adds the new "VDC" rollover safety feature, has the SportShift autoshifter, better visibility, more airbag protection,and still has that Subaru quality. I have owned Toyotas, Hondas, Nissans, and VWs, but my Subarus just can't be beat. They hug the road and can handle diverse weather conditions. I feel safe. I love to drive them. Glad I bought them. Great cars. Love them both.

Own Subaru since 1974
By Michel on 07/11/08 15:13 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I lived in Canada, It is my third Subaru, The first was an Impreza bought in 1994. Bought another one (Impreza) in 2004. Subies are good cars and this one is the best.

We love our Forester
By lisaandjason on 07/11/08 10:58 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We bought a Subaru Impreza back in 2005 and loved it. At the time, I tried to talk my husband into the Forester, but he really wanted the Impreza. As soon as we saw the new design though, he was sold. We absolutely love it! We went on a short road trip with my Mom and our Border Collie, Abby and it was the most comfortable drive I've ever had. There is so much space inside. I was truly surprised at how roomy it is. There is plenty of cargo space as well. We have the Premium Package with the roof rails, tinted windows, etc and it was definitely worth the extra money. I would definitely recommend this car to anyone looking for the convenience of an SUV, but the driving comfort of a sedan.

Low passenger seat
By svskyus on 07/10/08 20:38 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X L.L.Bean Edition 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Nice car, first Subi in 15 years. Drove all the others, studied the forums, happy with my choice. Only disappointment is the passenger's seat, very very low and not adjustable for height. Wife can barely see out! Fun to drive, feels solid, great viability in all directions. Great safety and best AWD around. Warning: Check your tire pressure after delivery from dealer. Many, including myself, have found the tires seriously overinflated (46 psi). Risk of tire failure this time of year!

Happy with purchase, esp. gas mileage!
By J&J on 07/10/08 07:34 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our new 2009 Forester, after going in to look at an Impreza. We had just been in a bad accident (totaled our car) and we were impressed with how easy it was to get in and out of the Forester. We prefer a manual shift as we live in the mountains and have been impressed with the mileage. We are pretty much averaging 30 mpg! We have 1800 miles on the car. We've only taken 2 long trips on the highway and we even hit 32 mpg at times on those. The car is a little underpowered, we have to downshift to get up some of the hills when we didn't have to downshift in our VW Jetta. There is a LOT of room inside, especially leg room. The hatch makes it easy to load and unload.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Subaru Forester in VA is:

$104 per month*