Used 2009 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

2009 Subaru Forester

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Buyers beware - another blown engine
By SoxFan

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I've owned 3 Subarus now but this might be my last. The engine blew on my 2009 Forester XT yesterday. Unfortunately this appears to be all-too-common with this year's model. It's at the dealer now and everyone has been great so far with the warranty replacement. Still I can't help feeling remorse with a car that's not even a year old. If this is truly a problem across the model then Subaru needs to step up and address it proactively before they have more stranded motorists.

Favorite Features

Acceleration, visibility, safety, dealer has been great.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability of the powertrain. The folks at the corporate 800 number (guy was defensive and condescending).

No regrets
By NiceBet

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle 8 months ago with a healthy dose of skepticism about the Subaru brand. But after extensive review online and test driving it and my other top choices (CR-V and RAV4) I came to a decision that the Forester was the optimal choice to suit my needs. It provided everything I wanted in a SUV- reliability, fuel efficiency, AWD, reasonable cost and reasonable comfort level (leather seats and heating, 6 disc changer stereo system to mention a few). My vehicle has handled well in the sub- artic condition in which I drive it. I have slipped a few times this winter but my vehicle handled well (those experiences have reminded me that technology is no substitute for sensible driving)

Favorite Features

I feel the stereo system is pretty decent. The efficiency of the heating system - having used it extensively in really cold weather I can say conclusively that it does work well.

Suggested Improvements

The only problem I've had with my vehicle is that the trunk door sometimes needs an extra push to properly close it in sub -5F weather.

Excellent Small SUV
By vkinsocal

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've owned this car two years now and this car has been nearly flawless. I love the low end RPM power this car has. The torque curve is very flat on Subaru's 4 cyl engine. driving in snow is great. Heater and air conditioning is simple to operate. Wiper controls are fantastic and make sense. Cruise control on the steering wheel as well as radio controls are like a a more expensive car would have. Changing your own oil is a breeze as the oil filter is vertical and you can get to everything without driving the vehicle on ramps. Visibility when backing up is best in class. Paddle shifting manual mode transmission is handy holding gear downhill. For ~25K out the door a fine machine.

Favorite Features

Good low end RPM power, Great visibility, turning radius is super tight making it easy to park. Has more features than other SUVs in its class. Rear door when opened clears my garage door (tilt type). Good rear seat leg room. Roof rack works well for skis. Trailer hitch works good for bike rack.

Suggested Improvements

Interior plastics are hard and sometimes have slight rattle especially when cold. Light colored interior is hard to keep clean with kids. Hard to read oil level on dip stick. No temp gage. Replacement tires are expensive but probably for other makes as well.

In Love With A Car??
By Annette

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Only 1072 miles on her so far but have nothing but raves for this vehicle. Traded a 2007 Pacifica that I really liked. However this car is much easier to park, wend my way thru traffic and put my groceries in.

Favorite Features

Roof, Height adjustable seat and heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

Power seat and five speed transmission.

Side mirorrs
By viewpoint

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We have 2 Impreza and a 2009 Forester. The side mirrors are set to high. they block 90% of the side vision when you entering another side road,you cant see nothing. Are there that can give me an idea if there is any other mirrors that I can on it instead the original ones. Also stero sound very poor at the back, front seats uncomftable. Thank you.