2009 Subaru Forester SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Ok but won't buy another Subaru
By kewe on 07/05/10 07:56 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car a year ago b/c always wanted a Forester. I like the past models better. I usually get Honda or Toyota. Overall car is dependable, will try to drive until over 150k but will never get another one again. Gives decent gas mileage 25 avg for mainly city driving. Car has little power for accelerating on highway, which feels unsafe. Interior looks cheap, fabric on doors is a no no (who thought of that?). The power button on driver side for seat adjustment is too clunky and any slight touch moves the seat. Very annoying. Front passenger seat is too low. Good aspects is that it does well in the snow, great for hauling large items when seats are folded down.

No regrets
By NiceBet on 02/28/10 22:00 PM (PST)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle 8 months ago with a healthy dose of skepticism about the Subaru brand. But after extensive review online and test driving it and my other top choices (CR-V and RAV4) I came to a decision that the Forester was the optimal choice to suit my needs. It provided everything I wanted in a SUV- reliability, fuel efficiency, AWD, reasonable cost and reasonable comfort level (leather seats and heating, 6 disc changer stereo system to mention a few). My vehicle has handled well in the sub- artic condition in which I drive it. I have slipped a few times this winter but my vehicle handled well (those experiences have reminded me that technology is no substitute for sensible driving)

No issues after a year of driving
By PharmD on 11/29/09 08:24 AM (PST)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the car shortly after it came out. I wanted to wait at least a year before I submitted a review. So far I love the forester and have no regrets. I test drove the Rav4 and the mazda CX7 and felt the forester was the better car. Fuel consumption has been a bit disappointing. I am getting an average of 18mpg in mostly city driving. I have not experienced the rattling that was mentioned before however, I find the location for the heated seats very inconvenient. With the limited you get 2 additional speakers to which I added the optional subwoofer. Even so the sound is mediocre at best. Overall, the forester is not perfect. However, you get a lot for the money.

Very Happy
By J.W. on 11/22/09 11:53 AM (PST)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We have had our forester for one year now with 10,000 miles on it. Have not had any problems with it at all. It's every thing we expected and more. Getting good gas mileage, 23 to 24 in town, 27 to 29 highway. We love everything about it.

Only if you love your mechanic...
By RLM on 10/13/09 18:21 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've owned my Forester for 10 months, 11K miles on it and I'm considering a trade in. While this vehicle is exactly what I want in a car as a small SUV and I enjoy driving the car at times, overall the poor quality of the workmanship of the car makes me regret my purchase. I've had the car in for both a major repair (power steering replacement) and major annoyances (mystery noises from door panels, rear-door catch had to be re- welded, and buzzing noises from stereo). Honestly, I miss my 7 year old 125K car I traded in because that car had less body noise and rattling than this brand new car. I'm severely disappointed in the quality of this car and I am considering cutting my losses now.

Bittersweet
By dcw2 on 09/21/09 19:37 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Finally a car with enough headroom without sitting on the ground! I'm 6'5 and I sit with the seat straight up and my head does not hit the ceiling. Wife is 4'11 and passenger seat is way too low. Before you buy know this, 09 foresters have been consistently having rattling problems. No fix in sight other than tearing out the interior and doing a custom job. By rattling I mean pull your hair out mad that your new car sounds like rattling. Am totally shocked by this but wow the headroom.

Well Engineered
By yooper on 09/16/09 17:26 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

AWD is flawless. Pulls my boat out of water with ease!! Quiet interior at 70 mph. I tried several small SUVs, none drove in a solid controlled way. It challenges my BMW 323. With 3000 miles, I'm averaging 26 mpg total, includes 60% city/40% highway. Pulls utility trailer with ease. Simple interior controls are breath of fresh air.

First time Subaru owner
By Martin on 08/31/09 14:40 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I switched from a Volvo V70 front wheel drive because I wanted the the advantages of AWD in snow and icy conditions. I had previously owned a Volkswagen Passat with AWD (same system at the time as Audi Quattro) and I considered getting an Audi Quattro station wagon, but the ground clearance was a limitation in deep snow. So far, after 11 000 km. very happy with this car. BUT: I live in Europe, bought the car with the new Boxer Diesel: 147 hp. 256 ft./lb. torque, 6 speed manual tranny and, absolutely no kidding: 43 mpg. highway mileage. Why don't you guys in the States demand to get in on the real action with this car?

My Perfect SUV
By MAPLESNOW on 08/08/09 19:32 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my 6th Subaru, but in between I've owned Toyotas and Chevys. Before Subaru I've owned just about all makes of mid-priced cars. This Forester (my 4th) has great styling, a comfortable well put together interior, and best of all, full time AWD. Once you own a Subaru you always wonder why you'd buy anything else. The cars starts easily, drives flawlessly and is greatly admired by people at work and on the street. A black Forester with black leather and dark tinted windows is one classy ride. Storage room is great, the stereo system is clear and easy to use and the huge sunroof is a pleasure. One thing I do know... all future cars for me will start with the word Subaru!

You get what you pay for...
By MG on 07/07/09 12:55 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Since there are pluses and minuses for all vehicles, we did not feel that the Forester had any major weaknesses; WRONG! Starting with trim levels, if you want any lumbar support, you are forced to buy the limited trim which translates into a higher payment. I could easily do without leather or the extras however with a bad back, the choice was essential. The transmission is not shifting correctly and it has been a fight with the dealership. It has been eight days since we met with the Subaru rep and while he agrees that the transmission is not right, the dealership has still not called; how lovely. Very poor performance in the mountains on a recent trip and the door skins are very thin.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Subaru Forester Suv in VA is:

$89 per month*