2009 Subaru Forester SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
like the turbo for passing...
By csflint on 07/21/12 21:15 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

i've had my used 09 Forester XT (~57k miles) for about 2 months now. Took it cross country (+10k miles) completely loaded inside, on top with car top carrier and behind with hitch carriage. Gas mileage so-so (23-24 mpg). my previous car's 6 cyl engine did better with gas, but had nothing on this Forester when it comes to needing a little get-up-and-go on highway and in mountains. 2 problems: front head rest and noise. Turned front head rest around to reduce neck fatigue. Noise - my dog used to be an awesome road tripper, until we got this car. She is unable to relax as long as the car is in motion. It's so bad, i'm considering selling just for her well-being.

2 year update
By Red Herring on 04/06/10 07:42 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

Have owned now for almost 2 years, and still am impressed by what a sound, competent SUV this is. Through 2 winters now, tracks like a goat-no way to get it stuck, and rain is irrelevant due to great visibility, wipers and traction. Body quality is high also-survived a nine inch wide, 12 foot long tree branch falling on it and grape sized hail without a dent or scratch. Plenty roomy (I'm 6'4" and comfortable front or back) and practical (carried everything I ever asked it to, much more than CR-V or RAV). Turbo makes it a VERY competent performer, and I think the handling is a great compromise between comfort and performance. Critics need to keep in mind that this is a Subaru, not an Audi

New Turbo Subie Owner
By TLH on 08/26/09 16:00 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

7 mo/7000 miles, so far so good. Almost bought a RAV4 V6, but didn't like paying extra for accessories and hated RAV4 looks. However, would have bought a V6 Forester if available vs turbo-4cyl. While the car is fun, sometimes it seems it can't decide whether to downshift or use turbo, so performance is jerky with some lag at times. Could be due to 4spd auto tranny (or my driving style, which is avg to a little aggressive). MPG is ok, 20-23mpg avg, with up to 25 seen during a recent 1000 mile trip. I installed aftermarket oil temp and turbo gauge b/c I like to be more informed about engine status vs silly idiot lights. However, I still think its the best small SUV on the market, no regrets.

One Year Past Now, Like It A Lot
By Linda on 08/20/09 15:30 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

Have had the XT for one year now, 14,000 miles, and like it a lot. Nothing has gone wrong. Ride comfort is excellent, very fun and nimble to drive, gas mileage OK at 22.2 overall. Would have liked a finer quality interior. I made the front seats comfortable with memory-foam seat cushions topped by sheepskin covers. Love the cargo space and visibility, turning circle, cornering ability, power. So far, so good!

Saab Owner becomes Subie Owner
By Kenny Steinberg on 06/12/09 14:03 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought this as a safe city car for my wife and teenage daughter to share. We are very happy with our purchase. I have read here about the imploding turbo engines on these. I have discussed this with my service manager. He said that early VIN versions did indeed have that problem, but that this has been worked out. Hope so! This is a perfect size for us, and fits four people very comfortably, with five in a pinch.

Great all round package
By shiva on 06/11/09 20:19 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

Just got my first Subaru Forester last month. The acceleration is fantastic for an SUV. A bit disappointed in 4 gear transmission, would have expected 5 fwd minimum. Great overall comfort and performance; I would highly recommend.

Buyers beware - another blown engine
By SoxFan on 05/07/09 05:52 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I've owned 3 Subarus now but this might be my last. The engine blew on my 2009 Forester XT yesterday. Unfortunately this appears to be all-too-common with this year's model. It's at the dealer now and everyone has been great so far with the warranty replacement. Still I can't help feeling remorse with a car that's not even a year old. If this is truly a problem across the model then Subaru needs to step up and address it proactively before they have more stranded motorists.

Engine went south at 5000 miles
By PNSM on 04/26/09 19:14 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I enjoyed the car until the engine stopped and left me stranded on the Interstate today. The Roadside Assistance feature works well, very efficient. I got good gas mileage. The AWD is wonderful especially in the rain. The interior is well designed but the radio is inferior - sound quality is just not there. The ride and comfort level were good. Reliability and faith in Subaru took a hit today after 5,000 miles of fun, I am without a vehicle. Not looking forward to the inconvenience of getting the car back - the nearest dealer is almost 100 miles away.

Brilliant service people.
By Anonymous on 04/14/09 14:56 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

Well, to start I should mention I put reliability low because the service people are idiots. Brought the forester in for a checkup and oil change, comes back with 2L too much oil - we discovered after the engine blew. Car is good, interior is pretty nice although leather stretched quickly. Stereo pretty well stinks considering it's 'premium' - nice that it doesn't get scratchy at high volume, although it's stupid that out of 40 knotches, it's not reasonably loud until about 30. Also fuel economy is hardly a selling feature once owned, not good in city at all. I have a 310HP pickup that gets better mileage, although tank is 20L larger, still gets about 400-600km per tank, forester barely hits 400.

My First Subaru
By Firstsubaruguy on 03/17/09 08:31 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

After owning Lexus, Audi and Acura models in the past, I decided that paying for panache was no longer worth it. I wanted an SUV with good MPG and an excellent AWD system. After reading about the 2009 Forrester and the awards it has earned, the decision was easy. I got the fully loaded vehicle three days before 8 inches of snow fell, and driving in the snow was like driving on dry ground. The AWD system is as good as Audi's Quattro which to me in the gold standard. The Forrester is very comfortable and there's plenty of room for 5. As a music lover, I disliked the SUV's stereo speakers so much that I had them replaced even before pick up. So far, I'm very happy with it.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Subaru Forester Suv in VA is:

$114 per month*