2009 Subaru Forester 2.5XT Limited SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

2009 Forester Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Sort Reviews by

like the turbo for passing...
By csflint

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

i've had my used 09 Forester XT (~57k miles) for about 2 months now. Took it cross country (+10k miles) completely loaded inside, on top with car top carrier and behind with hitch carriage. Gas mileage so-so (23-24 mpg). my previous car's 6 cyl engine did better with gas, but had nothing on this Forester when it comes to needing a little get-up-and-go on highway and in mountains. 2 problems: front head rest and noise. Turned front head rest around to reduce neck fatigue. Noise - my dog used to be an awesome road tripper, until we got this car. She is unable to relax as long as the car is in motion. It's so bad, i'm considering selling just for her well-being.

Favorite Features

Turbo, to be sure! Reliability of name Carrying capacity

2 year update
By Red Herring

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

Have owned now for almost 2 years, and still am impressed by what a sound, competent SUV this is. Through 2 winters now, tracks like a goat-no way to get it stuck, and rain is irrelevant due to great visibility, wipers and traction. Body quality is high also-survived a nine inch wide, 12 foot long tree branch falling on it and grape sized hail without a dent or scratch. Plenty roomy (I'm 6'4" and comfortable front or back) and practical (carried everything I ever asked it to, much more than CR-V or RAV). Turbo makes it a VERY competent performer, and I think the handling is a great compromise between comfort and performance. Critics need to keep in mind that this is a Subaru, not an Audi

Favorite Features

AWD, very spacious, rear seats fold down automatically when you pull the latch so it can be done from the back, comfortable (not harsh) ride, turbo surprisingly quick, sturdy body, great visibility through big windows. For an "economy" SUV (and it doesn't drive like one), it's the best deal going.

Suggested Improvements

Sunroof only slides, doesn't tilt; no vanity mirror light; stereo and fog lights marginal; carpet somewhat cheap looking. Gas mileage not great, but for full time AWD with this level of performance.

New Turbo Subie Owner
By TLH

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

7 mo/7000 miles, so far so good. Almost bought a RAV4 V6, but didn't like paying extra for accessories and hated RAV4 looks. However, would have bought a V6 Forester if available vs turbo-4cyl. While the car is fun, sometimes it seems it can't decide whether to downshift or use turbo, so performance is jerky with some lag at times. Could be due to 4spd auto tranny (or my driving style, which is avg to a little aggressive). MPG is ok, 20-23mpg avg, with up to 25 seen during a recent 1000 mile trip. I installed aftermarket oil temp and turbo gauge b/c I like to be more informed about engine status vs silly idiot lights. However, I still think its the best small SUV on the market, no regrets.

Favorite Features

huge moonroof, looks (wheels, hood scoop, rear wing, and optional sport grill look awesome!), handling, AWD, stereo controls on steering wheel, size, visibility (vs RAV4), ground clearance, leather heated seats with lumbar support, rugged package, safety features

Suggested Improvements

Better interior materials/exterior paint (mine already has lots of scratches/dings inside/outside after only 7 months!), update tranny, offer V6, bring back a real temp gauge! Put turbo gauge on turbo models (seems like a no-brainer), round cup holders, larger mud guards (seem like an afterthought).

One Year Past Now, Like It A Lot
By Linda

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

Have had the XT for one year now, 14,000 miles, and like it a lot. Nothing has gone wrong. Ride comfort is excellent, very fun and nimble to drive, gas mileage OK at 22.2 overall. Would have liked a finer quality interior. I made the front seats comfortable with memory-foam seat cushions topped by sheepskin covers. Love the cargo space and visibility, turning circle, cornering ability, power. So far, so good!

Favorite Features

Handling, great ride (far better than Toyota), cargo space, visibility.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a better interior, especially the cheap carpet.

Saab Owner becomes Subie Owner
By Kenny Steinberg

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought this as a safe city car for my wife and teenage daughter to share. We are very happy with our purchase. I have read here about the imploding turbo engines on these. I have discussed this with my service manager. He said that early VIN versions did indeed have that problem, but that this has been worked out. Hope so! This is a perfect size for us, and fits four people very comfortably, with five in a pinch.

Favorite Features

Engine smoothness and power, quiet cabin, rear seat legroom, support from the leather seats, comfortable ride and good handling, large sunroof.

Suggested Improvements

Passenger seat too low and no height adjustment; sound system sounds good but is too weak; fuel economy disappointing so far; no six-speed auto and no manual transmission available with the turbo.

Great all round package
By shiva

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

Just got my first Subaru Forester last month. The acceleration is fantastic for an SUV. A bit disappointed in 4 gear transmission, would have expected 5 fwd minimum. Great overall comfort and performance; I would highly recommend.

Suggested Improvements

5 or 6 fwd automatic transmission and improved breaking.

Buyers beware - another blown engine
By SoxFan

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I've owned 3 Subarus now but this might be my last. The engine blew on my 2009 Forester XT yesterday. Unfortunately this appears to be all-too-common with this year's model. It's at the dealer now and everyone has been great so far with the warranty replacement. Still I can't help feeling remorse with a car that's not even a year old. If this is truly a problem across the model then Subaru needs to step up and address it proactively before they have more stranded motorists.

Favorite Features

Acceleration, visibility, safety, dealer has been great.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability of the powertrain. The folks at the corporate 800 number (guy was defensive and condescending).

Engine went south at 5000 miles
By PNSM

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I enjoyed the car until the engine stopped and left me stranded on the Interstate today. The Roadside Assistance feature works well, very efficient. I got good gas mileage. The AWD is wonderful especially in the rain. The interior is well designed but the radio is inferior - sound quality is just not there. The ride and comfort level were good. Reliability and faith in Subaru took a hit today after 5,000 miles of fun, I am without a vehicle. Not looking forward to the inconvenience of getting the car back - the nearest dealer is almost 100 miles away.

Favorite Features

AWD

Suggested Improvements

improve reliability and quality control

Brilliant service people.
By Anonymous

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

Well, to start I should mention I put reliability low because the service people are idiots. Brought the forester in for a checkup and oil change, comes back with 2L too much oil - we discovered after the engine blew. Car is good, interior is pretty nice although leather stretched quickly. Stereo pretty well stinks considering it's 'premium' - nice that it doesn't get scratchy at high volume, although it's stupid that out of 40 knotches, it's not reasonably loud until about 30. Also fuel economy is hardly a selling feature once owned, not good in city at all. I have a 310HP pickup that gets better mileage, although tank is 20L larger, still gets about 400-600km per tank, forester barely hits 400.

Favorite Features

Handling, sunroof, acceleration, sport pedals, heated seats, large windows, how low you can get in driver seat for a little more of a sporty feel. All in all good car, will soon see how good the customer relations are and how they deal with their mistake.

Suggested Improvements

Hatch window in rear, fuel economy, stereo along with having a button to change songs on dash as opposed to a knob, leather, power passenger seats, optional heating for rear seats, move knobs for heating seats in front, carpet salt stained very easily and small metal rings on mats rust quick.

My First Subaru
By Firstsubaruguy

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

After owning Lexus, Audi and Acura models in the past, I decided that paying for panache was no longer worth it. I wanted an SUV with good MPG and an excellent AWD system. After reading about the 2009 Forrester and the awards it has earned, the decision was easy. I got the fully loaded vehicle three days before 8 inches of snow fell, and driving in the snow was like driving on dry ground. The AWD system is as good as Audi's Quattro which to me in the gold standard. The Forrester is very comfortable and there's plenty of room for 5. As a music lover, I disliked the SUV's stereo speakers so much that I had them replaced even before pick up. So far, I'm very happy with it.

Favorite Features

The All Wheel Drive system, heated lower windshield to defrost frozen wipers, comfort, hood scoop (brings back my memories of my 1968 GTO) and navigation system.

Suggested Improvements

Much better quality stereo speakers, a five speed automatic transmission for better gas mileage, and a rearview camera built into the Navigation screen to provide safety when backing up.