2009 Subaru Forester SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
It is what it is.
By fitethefututre on 03/11/14 06:10 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Manage you expectations. It's a crossover. So it doesn't do anything exceptional. The insides are unremarkable. So is the exterior. We have 2 little kids. So we need lots of space, with two car seats. It has a reasonable amount of space, but we can't fit everyone in--and the dog. I like the head room. Also, it has pep in the city for local driving, but with only a four banger, it is gutless on the highway. Maintenance is OK. Go under the wire for the warranty on the AC and replacing the rotors at 3 mm. 46K miles so far. So if you want something with more room, get a real SUV (We have a Sequoia for long trips). If you want a sports car, get something with more guts.

Good basic utility SUV under $20000
By Excellent Vehicle on 08/18/10 08:05 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this after test driving CR-V and RAV4. Did not want to pay more than $20,000 for a new car and needed an SUV. New 2009 style was ok and 4wd system is very good. Mileage is as good if the mechanics tune it right. After 1st service mileage got better; after 2nd it went down and 3rd now has gotten better again. Got 30 mpg to Chicago and again to Cincinnati recently from Rochester, NY. Gets about 22 around town and overall around 25 mpg. have had no rattles or mechanical problems. Quality is excellent; have had Toyota mostly until now. Only thing I don't like is that it seems a bit sensitive to high/cross winds; could be the tires though.

Worst Car I've Ever Owned
By Car Professor on 05/22/10 09:42 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is the worst car I've ever owned. In less than 3500 miles, it's been in for service on five separate occasions. I’m not sure whether Subaru needs to redesign this vehicle, improve assembly procedures/training, or conduct more thorough testing, but I do know that somewhere along the way, Subaru lost sight of its commitment to quality and customer satisfaction. I will never purchase another Subaru and would never recommend one, as I feel that I simply can’t rely on this vehicle. Where’s the ‘love’, Subaru? P.S. - Subaru Customer Service more hindrance than help. They simply don't care.

Good Value-and Fun Too
By steamloco76 on 10/22/09 09:54 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The 2009 Forester in base trim provides a ton of utility, capability and safety for a fairly low price. I am a big-tall type and most vehicles don't fit me well-the Forester has plenty of room and big, wide opening front doors for easy entry. Excellent visibility and driver sight lines. Negatives- Seat cushions are too short, pedal space is tight for size 14E shoes and the seat cloth and carpet are cheap feeling. Biggest complaint INTERIOR RATTLES!! The clutch is smooth, but the drive-by wire throttle hangs revs-coupled with a notchy shifter makes smooth shifting challenging, however, the stick allows you to make best use of the high revving flat four. Handling is nearly sport car class.

My 5th
By Rob on 03/17/09 17:31 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my fifth Subaru, and I am very happy with it. With the M5 transmission, I am averaging 26 mpg in a rural setting. It has preformed well in snow [8" with drifts], and it has given me no problems. The added room in the back seat is a plus, and the general style is well suited. I do miss the quirky looks of the old Forester, it was unique and readily recognized by other Subaru drivers. The mechanics of this model seem to be better than the old though, it has a smoother ride, sits higher, and has a more solid feel to it while on the road.

Noisy ski rack
By jmiller on 12/22/08 14:47 PM (PST)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Really love the looks and handling of the 2008 Subaru Forester. The extra room is a plus. Not crazy about the plastic interior components. The trouble started with the ski rack. It creates a lot of noise and at 60 mph it sounds like I am in a wind tunnel. With actual skis on the car it is unbearable.

Good Value
By John R. Lanc. Pa. on 12/21/08 20:47 PM (PST)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

2.5x has good value. Can't find anything out there with all those features. So far I am pleased with it. No rattles but they have cut corners with hard plastics, cheap looking and feel carpet and roof line cover. Silver on dashboard reflects on outside mirrors. Stereo is very sad. Upgraded with there tweeter and subwoofer and still sounds so-so. Gas mileage not that great. Considering the price, you get a lot of room, I am 6- 3", feels comfy, all wheel drive, handles well, many safety features, room in the back. If it turns out reliable like older ones I'll be very happy.

Drivetrain needs update, but...
By zulualfa on 12/19/08 19:27 PM (PST)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Love the solid feel of this vehicle. Well built. Put together well. As a six-footer, plus, lots of head and leg room. drivers seat could be a little more cushy, but not bad. Only complaint: only auto is 4-spd, so went for the five-speed manual, which leaves something to be desired. Very notchy. My Ford Ranger 5-spd is smoother. Love the little SUV.

Best small SUV out there now!
By Luis on 07/26/08 10:17 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We've had small SUVs/CUVs since the first ones came onto the scene. This time it was between newest CR-V, Outlander, or Forester. Didn't like weird styling which sacrificed utility/visibility on new CR-V, couldn't find right color/options/price combo on Outlander, but we instantly loved the simple, stylish, and useful design of the new Forester. Even in "base" trim, has the features you need and many you'll want -- all at a great price. Peppier with manual shift, and improved in every way. Great interior room and visibility, nice style inside and out. More mainstream than ever, but better for it!

Oh So Sweet
By jmt on 07/09/08 11:59 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I did a bunch of research before buying this vehicle and I was a bit hesitant buying a transition year. Don't hesitate. If you are thinking about this car run to your dealer, test drive it an pick your options. I was lucky enough to find a manual base model with the PZEV option. Without boring you with the technical details the bottom line is that the emissions from this car are almost the same as a Hybrid and only costs a few hundred dollars more. I have been averaging 28 MPG doing serious mountain driving. Up and down passes dirt roads etc. It handles everything effortlessly. So save the extra 10 grand and buy a Forester PZEV. NOt to mention the ongoing expense of batteries,tires.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Subaru Forester Suv in VA is:

$104 per month*