Used 2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X SUV Consumer Reviews - 15 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Subaru Forester SUV - Consumer Reviews

2009 Subaru Forester SUV

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

major engine repairs needed at only 45,000 miles
By Caitlin Urie

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

It had just over 45,000 miles on it when there was a knocking noise coming from the engine, so I took it to the dealership. They told me the short block needed to be replaced, and quoted me almost $5,000 for the repair. When I asked about a trade in or what my options were they asked me if I had driven the car without oil in it or something! I doubt they would have asked my husband if we had driven the car without oil in it. We have taken good care of maintaining the car, that is how we noticed that it was using way more oil than it should. They told me that without the repair it would only trade in for $3,500. I told them we needed time to make a decision and they did give us their loaner car for the weekend which was nice. When I returned the loaner car they said they would split the repair cost, they pay 70% I pay 30%. I did some research and found several other reviews of 2008-2009 Forester's needing the short block replaced. I plan to fix it then trade it in before anything else goes wrong.

big disappointment
By tj

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2009 Forester brand new with hopes it would last at least 200,000 miles with no major issues.when it hit 90,000 miles it started leaking oil out of one of the head gaskets unfortunately it was no longer under the factory warranty and I was going to have to pay close to $3,000 to have it repaired. This was my first and definitely my last Subaru that I will ever own.

Engin blew at 122K
By Kevin Stewart

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I was told " buy a Subaru they run forever" Well mine did not. No warning, all maintenance kept up on schedule and it throws a rod at 122k miles. I hardly call that forever. I previously had 2 Jeep Grand Cherokees that I traded in at 155K and 180K both of which were still running. Will not be buying another Subaru.

It is what it is.
By fitethefututre

Manage you expectations.
It's a crossover. So it doesn't do anything exceptional.
The insides are unremarkable.
So is the exterior.
We have 2 little kids.
So we need lots of space, with two car seats.
It has a reasonable amount of space, but we can't fit everyone in--and the dog.
I like the head room.
Also, it has pep in the city for local driving, but with only a four banger, it is gutless on the highway.
Maintenance is OK.
Go under the wire for the warranty on the AC and replacing the rotors at 3 mm.
46K miles so far.

So if you want something with more room, get a real SUV (We have a Sequoia for long trips).
If you want a sports car, get something with more guts.

Good basic utility SUV under $20000
By Excellent Vehicle

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this after test driving CR-V and RAV4. Did not want to pay more than $20,000 for a new car and needed an SUV. New 2009 style was ok and 4wd system is very good. Mileage is as good if the mechanics tune it right. After 1st service mileage got better; after 2nd it went down and 3rd now has gotten better again. Got 30 mpg to Chicago and again to Cincinnati recently from Rochester, NY. Gets about 22 around town and overall around 25 mpg. have had no rattles or mechanical problems. Quality is excellent; have had Toyota mostly until now. Only thing I don't like is that it seems a bit sensitive to high/cross winds; could be the tires though.

None really, everything is ok as it should be.

Needs re-gearing for better pickup and go for me personally but is ok for most people. Not sure I like the cruise control on the column; still like the stick used in Toyota.