2009 Subaru Forester SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Wow What an Amazing Turbo
By Neil on 03/05/09 14:41 PM (PST)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5XT 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

Just purchased 09 turbo - forget the base - way underpowered, awful stereo. The turbo is a blast to drive, no lag at all! Punches holes in traffic. Amazing tight feel, great turning radius, better stereo - still not the greatest but not bad, perfect dog/hiking car. The best car for the rain - Seattle gets just a little rain - haha. Overall a really huge improvement over the last Forester and looks so much better, a very attractive car. Do not bother with the limited 3 grand for leather - Major rip off. Get the base turbo and be happy!

dont buy xt
By bad experience on 02/15/09 09:19 AM (PST)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5XT 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

The engine on this car (turbo) blew up in a remote location late at night in a snow storm. We had kids in the car. BAD experience. Totally unacceptable for a car with 9600 miles on it. Subaru paid for the rental car for the time my car was at the dealer; plus got them to pay me $1000 for my hassle and pay for free scheduled maintenance on the car for the rest of the lease term. I was told by dealer that turbo engines have an oil piping problem. The turbo gets starved of oil. The result is mechanical failure of turbo. Metal pieces somehow get into engine. Bye-bye engine.

SO FAR GREAT CAR!!
By ColoCubbie on 08/26/08 16:35 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5XT 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

Went through the usual comparisons and narrowed it down to the Forrester XT and the Rav 4 six cylinder. Living at altitude in CO, I wanted an SUV that had some power to easily get up steep grades. I liked the look of the Forrester and the fact that the Subbie AWD felt superior to Toyota's 4WD. Of course the safety features also helped. Bought the Forrester and have 800 miles on it so far. No regrets at all. The turbo is a blast, the car rides extremely smooth and it looks great in Dark Gray Metallic. The only sacrifice is the extra cash for premium gas... which I balanced out by quitting lattes. I've been getting 24 MPG in mixed driving which is better than most SUVs.

Fun to drive
By bak2subie on 08/25/08 01:12 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5XT 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

After exhaustive test drives and visits to a variety of dealerships, two small suvs stood out. The new Ravs are nice, especially the 6 cylinder, but the 2009 Subie XT was the ticket. Had to drive over 100 miles to get the color (sage green) we wanted. This car is fun-fun to drive. It will go fast, like changing lanes and passing 18 wheelers in a less than 3 seconds. Our 2002 Rav could only try. Fit/finish is up to the toyota standards and thats good. But the ergonomics are much better. All around visibility is great. Tight U-turner.

Great car.
By Daily driver on 07/06/08 01:07 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5XT 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

We bought our Forester Turbo at a little over $26k USD. The inside is amazingly spacious, enough legroom for 4 decently sized adults. Turbo hits hard from like 2500RPM-5000RPM, which is more than necessary for normal driving. Yeah, it could use a 5th gear because the high RPMs feel dead, but it's really not necessary. It goes fast enough. Tiptronic is nice. Your mileage will top out at about actually 27mpg for 100% highway driving, no AC and windows open at a constant speed of 60MPH (2100RPM). The XT WILL embarrass any other 4- cylinder car (with the exception of the really high end ones) and it will most certainly keep up with the 6's and 8's. Adequate trunk space. 5 star crash rating.

It made me a fan
By ArcadeTom on 06/30/08 11:10 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5XT 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

Up until this June I have owned Jeeps. Always 4x4 or AWD and never figured I would drive anything "non- American". With gas going higher I had to get something newer and found this new Subie to be fantastic in MPG and fun. I never believed that anything could be so much fun to drive and still be a SUV. It has plenty of room, 9 inches of ground clearance, handles like a sports car and rides like a Cadillac. It has made me a believer and a fan. If everything I have read about this and previous Subarus is true, I will enjoy driving this one for a very long time.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Subaru Forester Suv in VA is:

$112 per month*