2009 Subaru Forester SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
I love it!!
By Jobin on 04/16/09 19:08 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X L.L.Bean Edition 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

First time Subaru owner. I was shopping around for a a new fresh SUV. Rav4 and CRV were on top of my list till a friend recommended I look at the Forester. I told him the wagon? He said no it's got a whole new design and rated #1. Test drove the LL Bean Ed. and loved it from the start. My wife kept smiling at the salesman. Well we went home with it that same day. Now my wife and I fight over it.

Dissatisfied
By Dissatisfied on 03/24/09 19:58 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X L.L.Bean Edition 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is the 7th Subaru that I have either owned or leased (5 owned and 2 leased) and this the worst experience I have had so far. The initial concept is good, but the end product definitely needs improvement. I drive 30,000 miles a year in MN. Poor windshield wiper design (front and back), build quality needs to be upgraded (had a water leak in the vent system and now I have major mildew problems. Poor placement of heated seat switches, auxiliary outlet plug, and IPOD plug. Heat is either off or on with poor modulation. Poor design on center storage/cup holders. Needs a five speed transmission; hunts for gears all the time. Buy an Outback. Forester missed the mark, at least for now.

Decent vechile, fun to drive & Satisfied
By montavistas on 12/07/08 13:30 PM (PST)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X L.L.Bean Edition 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Have been driving this vehicle for about 3 months and have all the options except navigation and have been satisfied with the drive I had on local and highway. Decent MPG about 25 on an average. The SRS audio doesn't seem to work as expected no help from the dealer as well. Haven't experienced any rattling as some complained. Nice to drive and good control on the road. Overall a Satisfied Subaru Forester patron.

7 month review
By S on 11/19/08 09:33 AM (PST)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X L.L.Bean Edition 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

So I've had my Subie (1st time Subie buyer) for 7 months now and here are my thoughts. Overall, I love the vehicle. It handles very well (haven't had any snow yet to test the all-wheel) and is quite roomy. The only "problem" that I've had thus far is the paint on the plastic in the interior doesn't stick to the plastic. The paint literally wore off of the driver's door handle from my knee resting on it while driving! This occurred only after 3 months of ownership. The dealership immediately ordered a new door handle and handled the issue w/ the utmost professionalism. Problem is, when the car is out of warranty, I'm stuck w/ the problem. The silver paint scratches off very easily.

Best auto I've ever purchased
By subfamily on 08/30/08 11:52 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X L.L.Bean Edition 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I did a lot of research and test driving when my wife and decided to purchase a new vehicle. After months of searching I was at the end of my rope and about to settle on Ford Escape. Then I saw an ad for the new 2009 Forester, at first I thought who the heck drives a Subaru? Out of desperation I went to the Subaru dealership sat down in the LL Bean addition and fell in love! Right away you realized how much roomier the Forester was than other small SUVs and the lumbar support was great for my back. I took it for a test drive and was sold. It handled great (love the AWD) the moon roof was huge!

Lov my 2009 Forester
By edwardo II on 08/24/08 09:33 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X L.L.Bean Edition 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Just an outstanding Crossover and I had an 1999 Forester and what a difference 10 years makes. Getting much better mileage over the 99 and only thing I miss is the cup holder in the dash as no place to grab an 8 oz. coffee cup. Guess I need to look for something. Large moon roof super and enjoy driving the 2009. No issues.

Low passenger seat
By svskyus on 07/10/08 20:38 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X L.L.Bean Edition 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Nice car, first Subi in 15 years. Drove all the others, studied the forums, happy with my choice. Only disappointment is the passenger's seat, very very low and not adjustable for height. Wife can barely see out! Fun to drive, feels solid, great viability in all directions. Great safety and best AWD around. Warning: Check your tire pressure after delivery from dealer. Many, including myself, have found the tires seriously overinflated (46 psi). Risk of tire failure this time of year!

Subaru Newbie
By Birdboy on 06/29/08 17:21 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X L.L.Bean Edition 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

The Forester handles well at all speeds. It is peppy and climbs hills well especially when in sport mode. Is relatively quiet. The gas mileage has been good so far. I got 28-30mpg driving speeds around 55-65. Cabin is both roomy and comfortable, except for passengers seat. Visability is excellent

Second Subaru owner
By Suzanne on 06/09/08 14:28 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X L.L.Bean Edition 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I Loved my 2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan, but after my son totalled it (oops) I knew I wanted a second Subaru. Spending more than I ever expected, I purchased the L.L. Bean edition 2009 Forester. I do love the car, but have three concerns. The plastic panel which covers the radio is not clear. It makes the numbers sl. blurry. Also, and of greater concern is that I experience a slight sideways motion when going over bumps. Will contact the dealer. Gas mileage not as good as I hoped for. 22.2 mpg. Sounds like I don't like my new car, but I love the reliability of Subaru. It's a beautiful car. As impressive on the outside as a Lexus.

Great ride/handling balance
By Ordered one on 05/20/08 07:40 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X L.L.Bean Edition 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We test drove an X model with the Premium package, and then an LL Bean model with NAV. Both were impressive, but we liked the perforated leather so we opted for that. The GPS was not set up for our region, but it didn't seem very intuitive so we passed. Ride is quite good and it corners very flat. It drives smoothly and SportShift is quick, completing shifts in a fraction of a second. This vehicle has the best visibility in its class, others have wide D- pillars and high rear windows and then try to up-sell you on a rear backup cam that is a cash cow for them, so you pay for their poor design. Can't wait to take delivery.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Subaru Forester Suv in VA is:

$112 per month*