Used 2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Ok but won't buy another Subaru
By kewe

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car a year ago b/c always wanted a Forester. I like the past models better. I usually get Honda or Toyota. Overall car is dependable, will try to drive until over 150k but will never get another one again. Gives decent gas mileage 25 avg for mainly city driving. Car has little power for accelerating on highway, which feels unsafe. Interior looks cheap, fabric on doors is a no no (who thought of that?). The power button on driver side for seat adjustment is too clunky and any slight touch moves the seat. Very annoying. Front passenger seat is too low. Good aspects is that it does well in the snow, great for hauling large items when seats are folded down.

Cargo space, gas mileage, dependability

Change the power button on driver seat, make more ding resistance, more power for accelerating, adjust passenger seat height to match driver seat. No fabric on doors.

No regrets
By NiceBet

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle 8 months ago with a healthy dose of skepticism about the Subaru brand. But after extensive review online and test driving it and my other top choices (CR-V and RAV4) I came to a decision that the Forester was the optimal choice to suit my needs. It provided everything I wanted in a SUV- reliability, fuel efficiency, AWD, reasonable cost and reasonable comfort level (leather seats and heating, 6 disc changer stereo system to mention a few). My vehicle has handled well in the sub- artic condition in which I drive it. I have slipped a few times this winter but my vehicle handled well (those experiences have reminded me that technology is no substitute for sensible driving)

I feel the stereo system is pretty decent. The efficiency of the heating system - having used it extensively in really cold weather I can say conclusively that it does work well.

The only problem I've had with my vehicle is that the trunk door sometimes needs an extra push to properly close it in sub -5F weather.

No issues after a year of driving
By PharmD

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the car shortly after it came out. I wanted to wait at least a year before I submitted a review. So far I love the forester and have no regrets. I test drove the Rav4 and the mazda CX7 and felt the forester was the better car. Fuel consumption has been a bit disappointing. I am getting an average of 18mpg in mostly city driving. I have not experienced the rattling that was mentioned before however, I find the location for the heated seats very inconvenient. With the limited you get 2 additional speakers to which I added the optional subwoofer. Even so the sound is mediocre at best. Overall, the forester is not perfect. However, you get a lot for the money.

Huge sunroof. Ground clearance with full time all wheel drive. Soft comfortable ride. Lots of utility.

Move the heated seats buttons to the front. Replace the 4 speed auto with the CVT. Cheap interior plastics. Poor speakers.

Very Happy
By J.W.

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We have had our forester for one year now with 10,000 miles on it. Have not had any problems with it at all. It's every thing we expected and more. Getting good gas mileage, 23 to 24 in town, 27 to 29 highway. We love everything about it.

AWD, comfort, safety features, turning radius, climate control

auto on headlights, power passenger seat

Only if you love your mechanic...
By RLM

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've owned my Forester for 10 months, 11K miles on it and I'm considering a trade in. While this vehicle is exactly what I want in a car as a small SUV and I enjoy driving the car at times, overall the poor quality of the workmanship of the car makes me regret my purchase. I've had the car in for both a major repair (power steering replacement) and major annoyances (mystery noises from door panels, rear-door catch had to be re- welded, and buzzing noises from stereo). Honestly, I miss my 7 year old 125K car I traded in because that car had less body noise and rattling than this brand new car. I'm severely disappointed in the quality of this car and I am considering cutting my losses now.

The Ipod Interface to the stereo is great if you are a tech & music lover. I love the roomy interior and style. For its size it gets good fuel economy. I recommend the all weather floor mats & trunk mat.

Better insulation and workmanship to reduce rattling noises!!! Better stereo that doesn't produce buzzing noises when bass occurs. Improve the comfort of the seats, seat height & head restraint angle.