Used 2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X L.L. Bean Edition Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

I love it!!
By Jobin

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X L.L.Bean Edition 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

First time Subaru owner. I was shopping around for a a new fresh SUV. Rav4 and CRV were on top of my list till a friend recommended I look at the Forester. I told him the wagon? He said no it's got a whole new design and rated #1. Test drove the LL Bean Ed. and loved it from the start. My wife kept smiling at the salesman. Well we went home with it that same day. Now my wife and I fight over it.

Simple interior controls. Back tailgate is easy to use and my wife is 5ft 1, she does not have any issues with opening and closing it. While I'm 6ft and can stand upright under the liftgate with no problems.

6 speaker audio sounds great in the front but lousy when sitting in the rear seats. That's about it.

Dissatisfied
By Dissatisfied

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X L.L.Bean Edition 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is the 7th Subaru that I have either owned or leased (5 owned and 2 leased) and this the worst experience I have had so far. The initial concept is good, but the end product definitely needs improvement. I drive 30,000 miles a year in MN. Poor windshield wiper design (front and back), build quality needs to be upgraded (had a water leak in the vent system and now I have major mildew problems. Poor placement of heated seat switches, auxiliary outlet plug, and IPOD plug. Heat is either off or on with poor modulation. Poor design on center storage/cup holders. Needs a five speed transmission; hunts for gears all the time. Buy an Outback. Forester missed the mark, at least for now.

Good ride, excellent Subaru all-wheel drive, and solid 2.5L engine. Good utilization of space, plus decent mileage for AWD.

Five speed transmission, better sound proofing, upgrade interior materials, redesign driver/passenger storage area/switches in interior, and replace goofy arm rest. Use thicker metal on roof (feels like paper and flexes all the time when opening and closing the doors).

Decent vechile, fun to drive & Satisfied
By montavistas

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X L.L.Bean Edition 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Have been driving this vehicle for about 3 months and have all the options except navigation and have been satisfied with the drive I had on local and highway. Decent MPG about 25 on an average. The SRS audio doesn't seem to work as expected no help from the dealer as well. Haven't experienced any rattling as some complained. Nice to drive and good control on the road. Overall a Satisfied Subaru Forester patron.

Sage green color. Moon roof. Roomy. Gas mileage. Double exhaust.

Sound system. Internal dash color

7 month review
By S

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X L.L.Bean Edition 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

So I've had my Subie (1st time Subie buyer) for 7 months now and here are my thoughts. Overall, I love the vehicle. It handles very well (haven't had any snow yet to test the all-wheel) and is quite roomy. The only "problem" that I've had thus far is the paint on the plastic in the interior doesn't stick to the plastic. The paint literally wore off of the driver's door handle from my knee resting on it while driving! This occurred only after 3 months of ownership. The dealership immediately ordered a new door handle and handled the issue w/ the utmost professionalism. Problem is, when the car is out of warranty, I'm stuck w/ the problem. The silver paint scratches off very easily.

Moonroof, handling, great visibility.

Gas mileage: in summer, with no air and moonroof closed I was getting approx. 27-29 mph. hwy. Turn the heat on and it goes down to 23-24.5 hwy. Fix the paint/plastic problem noted above. For 27K I expect much better quality in this regard. Move heated seat buttons to more accessible area.

Best auto I've ever purchased
By subfamily

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X L.L.Bean Edition 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I did a lot of research and test driving when my wife and decided to purchase a new vehicle. After months of searching I was at the end of my rope and about to settle on Ford Escape. Then I saw an ad for the new 2009 Forester, at first I thought who the heck drives a Subaru? Out of desperation I went to the Subaru dealership sat down in the LL Bean addition and fell in love! Right away you realized how much roomier the Forester was than other small SUVs and the lumbar support was great for my back. I took it for a test drive and was sold. It handled great (love the AWD) the moon roof was huge!

Leather seats (LL Bean), lumbar support, moon roof, AWD, nice clean modern appearance inside and out.

I wish the stereo was better, you would think in the LL Bean addition you would get some sort of upgraded sound system.