Used 2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

2009 Subaru Forester

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

It is what it is.
By fitethefututre

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Manage you expectations. It's a crossover. So it doesn't do anything exceptional. The insides are unremarkable. So is the exterior. We have 2 little kids. So we need lots of space, with two car seats. It has a reasonable amount of space, but we can't fit everyone in--and the dog. I like the head room. Also, it has pep in the city for local driving, but with only a four banger, it is gutless on the highway. Maintenance is OK. Go under the wire for the warranty on the AC and replacing the rotors at 3 mm. 46K miles so far. So if you want something with more room, get a real SUV (We have a Sequoia for long trips). If you want a sports car, get something with more guts.

Good basic utility SUV under $20000
By Excellent Vehicle

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this after test driving CR-V and RAV4. Did not want to pay more than $20,000 for a new car and needed an SUV. New 2009 style was ok and 4wd system is very good. Mileage is as good if the mechanics tune it right. After 1st service mileage got better; after 2nd it went down and 3rd now has gotten better again. Got 30 mpg to Chicago and again to Cincinnati recently from Rochester, NY. Gets about 22 around town and overall around 25 mpg. have had no rattles or mechanical problems. Quality is excellent; have had Toyota mostly until now. Only thing I don't like is that it seems a bit sensitive to high/cross winds; could be the tires though.

Favorite Features

None really, everything is ok as it should be.

Suggested Improvements

Needs re-gearing for better pickup and go for me personally but is ok for most people. Not sure I like the cruise control on the column; still like the stick used in Toyota.

Worst Car I've Ever Owned
By Car Professor

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is the worst car I've ever owned. In less than 3500 miles, it's been in for service on five separate occasions. I’m not sure whether Subaru needs to redesign this vehicle, improve assembly procedures/training, or conduct more thorough testing, but I do know that somewhere along the way, Subaru lost sight of its commitment to quality and customer satisfaction. I will never purchase another Subaru and would never recommend one, as I feel that I simply can’t rely on this vehicle. Where’s the ‘love’, Subaru? P.S. - Subaru Customer Service more hindrance than help. They simply don't care.

Favorite Features

Factory installed rattles and vibrations prevent driver from falling asleep behind the wheel.

Suggested Improvements

Ask customers to grow a third arm so they can dampen the various interior noises while continuing to steer and shift in a safe manner.

Good Value-and Fun Too
By steamloco76

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The 2009 Forester in base trim provides a ton of utility, capability and safety for a fairly low price. I am a big-tall type and most vehicles don't fit me well-the Forester has plenty of room and big, wide opening front doors for easy entry. Excellent visibility and driver sight lines. Negatives- Seat cushions are too short, pedal space is tight for size 14E shoes and the seat cloth and carpet are cheap feeling. Biggest complaint INTERIOR RATTLES!! The clutch is smooth, but the drive-by wire throttle hangs revs-coupled with a notchy shifter makes smooth shifting challenging, however, the stick allows you to make best use of the high revving flat four. Handling is nearly sport car class.

Favorite Features

Great AWD system. Sporty handling. Tight turning radius. Room for the big- tall types. Very good visibility. Decent gas mileage for a full time AWD wagon.

Suggested Improvements

Better interior quality control and seat fabric. Better wearing stock tires-the Bridgestone Duelers wont make 20K miles. Tinted windows on the base model. Bring back the standard skid plates.

My 5th
By Rob

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my fifth Subaru, and I am very happy with it. With the M5 transmission, I am averaging 26 mpg in a rural setting. It has preformed well in snow [8" with drifts], and it has given me no problems. The added room in the back seat is a plus, and the general style is well suited. I do miss the quirky looks of the old Forester, it was unique and readily recognized by other Subaru drivers. The mechanics of this model seem to be better than the old though, it has a smoother ride, sits higher, and has a more solid feel to it while on the road.

Favorite Features

added interior room, PZEV, higher road clearance, AWD

Suggested Improvements

more cushion in the seats