2009 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
It is what it is.
By fitethefututre on 03/11/14 06:10 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Manage you expectations. It's a crossover. So it doesn't do anything exceptional. The insides are unremarkable. So is the exterior. We have 2 little kids. So we need lots of space, with two car seats. It has a reasonable amount of space, but we can't fit everyone in--and the dog. I like the head room. Also, it has pep in the city for local driving, but with only a four banger, it is gutless on the highway. Maintenance is OK. Go under the wire for the warranty on the AC and replacing the rotors at 3 mm. 46K miles so far. So if you want something with more room, get a real SUV (We have a Sequoia for long trips). If you want a sports car, get something with more guts.

The car I really wanted to love
By crr40 on 04/09/13 12:05 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/All Weather, Premium Pkg, VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I decided on a Subaru Forester after extensive research, and bought a 2009 model new. It had flaws in the beginning- the ipod adapter didn't work well; the stereo in general was not very impressive, the driver's seat was uncomfortable, the mpg was consistently on the low end - but I didn't regret my purchase until the big problems started at just 29K miles, within weeks of the bumper to bumper warranty expiring. Between 29K and 38K miles the car has had the engine coil replaced, the brakes replaced and now the transmission. It's not my driving, either - my last car went 9 years and 80K miles without a single repair and I've never spent this much in repairs on any car in 20+ years.

Three years of ownership
By jassdsu on 02/19/13 14:08 PM (PST)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC, Nav (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I recently sold my 2009 XT Forester. When I bought the subaru I was passionate about it like most Subaru owners. Love- that’s what makes a Subaru right… We recently sold the car after owning it for three plus years. Likes- the sleek design, fun to drive. Dislike- poor MPG, small fuel tank, and overall carrying capacity. With the Turbo model you have the same size fuel tank as the regular non turbo- the problem is your mpg is only 22 to 23 mpg, I’m not sure what the size of the tank is but its insufficient and requires filling up on a regular basis. Road trips would require extra stops to get gas- I’m not exaggerating- it’s a real design problem. The panels on the outside of the car

Great for tall drivers
By don225 on 01/08/13 18:27 PM (PST)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car for 2 reasons 1. Head room,I'm 6'5 2. AWD Over all happy but a few issues to note 1.The car has an uncanny ability to suck in the exhaust from other vehicles, and it has nothing to do with the in cabin filter. 2.The design of the front seats. As the driver its almost impossible to reach under the seat to grab anything, and there is a cable that runs directly from the underbelly of the seat to the ground that eliminates passage. The passenger seat sits so low that even I feel like a kid in a car(I'm 6'5) 4.Rattles. have fun going back and forth to the dealer getting all the rattles in the body panels shored up while under warranty 5.Transmission issues at 70K mi 6.Sterio

Solid car--not splashy
By slydog39 on 09/22/12 13:40 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this Forester used several months ago. I have driven 8500 miles. Here are a few observations: It is obvious the car is well built and, if maintained, will be around a long time. The mileage is fair. Hwy is 26.2 City is 21.5 The all wheel drive gives a nice feel in tight turns and in wet weather. The engine has some pep, but I do not use it as a sports car. The interior is somewhat spartan or utilitarian. It will not be mistaken for a luxury car. It is all functional. The seats are comfortable, but not for extremenly long travels.

like the turbo for passing...
By csflint on 07/21/12 21:15 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

i've had my used 09 Forester XT (~57k miles) for about 2 months now. Took it cross country (+10k miles) completely loaded inside, on top with car top carrier and behind with hitch carriage. Gas mileage so-so (23-24 mpg). my previous car's 6 cyl engine did better with gas, but had nothing on this Forester when it comes to needing a little get-up-and-go on highway and in mountains. 2 problems: front head rest and noise. Turned front head rest around to reduce neck fatigue. Noise - my dog used to be an awesome road tripper, until we got this car. She is unable to relax as long as the car is in motion. It's so bad, i'm considering selling just for her well-being.

Cant find a downside to this vehicle
By subarublue77 on 01/21/12 19:51 PM (PST)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Did not know SUV existed until I read Consumer Reports. They rated this #1 in small SUV category. I test drove also small SUV Nissan, Honda, Mitsubishi, Toyota and the Forester out classed them all. I bought it used from the Subaru dealership (Jax, FL) and they had the Carfax. Took it to my mechanic and he said everything looked great! Wanted something that seats 4 & back seats go down so I can carry wood for my woodworking projects. Took it on a couple of long drives already and nice smooth ride. Car accelerates well given it is a 4 cylinder. I bought the SUV because of its reliability history and price. I read all the reviews on Edmunds.com and almost everyone liked their Subaru.

Nice, but I like my 2005 better
By javan68 on 12/23/11 11:57 AM (PST)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have a 2005 Forester that is the 2.5X Manual version. I bought the 2009 for my wife, with the Auto. It is the Premium version. As a summary, I like the vehicle, but the fuel economy is crap. We get about 20-22 mpg on average, whereas my '05 gets 26-28 on average. If we really baby the gas and drive ultra conservatively, we may be able to get 25 mpg, but that is a huge IF. As for Snow driving, I will take the '09 over my '05, granted, my '05 is more fun to drive. The '09 is like a tank in the snow. We are in the market for a replacement for the '09. Our family is growing again, and the forester is just too small. Perhaps if it got better fuel economy, we would reconsider.

Don't Touch My Baby!!!!!
By oldarmywife on 10/12/11 14:45 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X L.L.Bean Edition 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC, Nav (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I love my 2009 Forester LL Bean Edition, we have gotten a consistent 25 mpg and have had zero issues in the almost 3 years we've had it. We have three reasonably big dogs who fit easily in the back with the seats folded down (and lots of rubber matting!!) and have driven for over 12 hours at a time with the dogs extremely comfortably! I love the "driving for dummies" addition of letting me know my tires are low which has eliminated the need for me to check them and the heated seats are a gem! The driver's seat is my favorite, I can raise it so I can have a panoramic view as I drive and it's sleek design makes it easy to park even in tight spots.

See my last review "I want to love this car, but..."
By deserthillsman on 08/31/11 11:20 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Since April of this year, I have to downgrade my opinion of this car. On a recent trip (1200 miles), I found the driver's seat to be so uncomfortable that my lower back and legs were wrecked for several days afterwards. There is no lumbar adjustment which is a big negative. Gas mileage on the trip was a mediocre 26. My overall mpg for the life of the car is 21.3. I drive fairly conservatively, smooth starts and braking. This car has absolutely no power when the A/C is on which is a requirement here in the summer. Transmission is rough. The silver paint used on the interior is cheap and has flaked off. The center console is absurd. It's the bottomless pit.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Subaru Forester in VA is:

$104 per month*