Used 2009 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

It's always something new......
By photosbymatt

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

From purchase at 117,000 miles to now at 134,000 miles, this Forester has needed: Oxygen sensor, new catalytic converters, re-wired transmission speed sensor, two sets of head gaskets (six months apart), timing belt, water pump, thermostat, and rear pads & rotors. The transmission in this Forester is jerky & extremely rough. I have records from the previous owner, and it was babied and taken care of very well. I maintain this car as well as I can, and I just hope that it will last another five years. The engine pings horribly while running up through the gears. Detonating or "pinging" is absolutely horrible for an engine, yet Subaru claims that this is normal. I love Subaru's, but wow.......

Favorite Features

All wheel drive, ground clearance.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the 4-speed automatic and put in a 5-speed!

Overall a fun and capable Subaru
By cjphilip

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car used for about $8k with just about 161K on the odometer to replace a totaled grad present thanks to an inattentive freeway lane-changer. I loved it the moment I saw it, but dreaded the notch-y first gear. For being a younger male driver, I want something practical and safe, yet fun but wanted some comfort for occasional long drives and never could find a car i liked that didn't cause minor back aches even on a short test drive, except for this one. If only it had a few more inches of trunk space and more factory stereo options as the 80w preamp is barely enough for the 4 main, let alone the opt 6 speaker set, and I've read the NAVI is not at all user-friendly

Favorite Features

My partner and I love to go soft-roading on hidden dirt trails and its perfect to explore The Panoramic sunroof is beautiful for stargazing The rear seats recline for better passenger comfort Excellent Incline Assist for hilly signal lights and stop signs Comfortable ride and seats overall Headlamps with optional fog lamps leave nothing unseen Sharp breaks, good road manners Great all-round driver visibility Decent MPG with 5M and easy driving (I average about 24-26 MPG in mixed city/hwy and hilly driving) The AWD makes for superior grip feel and may inspire "spirited" driving on winding roads and excellent off/softroading Snow is a blast in this lil'crossover

Suggested Improvements

Easier to read base stereo would be nice, sunlight makes it very difficult to read My trans sometimes fights with me over reverse gear Add a Turbo WITH a manual please (New XT still can't have a 5M/6M Who thought it'd be smart to get rid of a temperature gauge and replace it with a tiny light that you can barely see when it "warns" you that it is about to overheat? I'm not tall (5'10"), but every once in a while, when getting in the front seat I'll end up hitting my knee on the corner of the dash because of its bowed design Platinum cloth seating easily shows watermarks/other spills but are easy to shampoo away Not much of a driver information center

Side mirorrs
By viewpoint

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We have 2 Impreza and a 2009 Forester. The side mirrors are set to high. they block 90% of the side vision when you entering another side road,you cant see nothing. Are there that can give me an idea if there is any other mirrors that I can on it instead the original ones. Also stero sound very poor at the back, front seats uncomftable. Thank you.

It is what it is.
By fitethefututre

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Manage you expectations. It's a crossover. So it doesn't do anything exceptional. The insides are unremarkable. So is the exterior. We have 2 little kids. So we need lots of space, with two car seats. It has a reasonable amount of space, but we can't fit everyone in--and the dog. I like the head room. Also, it has pep in the city for local driving, but with only a four banger, it is gutless on the highway. Maintenance is OK. Go under the wire for the warranty on the AC and replacing the rotors at 3 mm. 46K miles so far. So if you want something with more room, get a real SUV (We have a Sequoia for long trips). If you want a sports car, get something with more guts.

The car I really wanted to love
By crr40

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/All Weather, Premium Pkg, VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I decided on a Subaru Forester after extensive research, and bought a 2009 model new. It had flaws in the beginning- the ipod adapter didn't work well; the stereo in general was not very impressive, the driver's seat was uncomfortable, the mpg was consistently on the low end - but I didn't regret my purchase until the big problems started at just 29K miles, within weeks of the bumper to bumper warranty expiring. Between 29K and 38K miles the car has had the engine coil replaced, the brakes replaced and now the transmission. It's not my driving, either - my last car went 9 years and 80K miles without a single repair and I've never spent this much in repairs on any car in 20+ years.

Favorite Features

Overall functionality; cargo room, ease of handling, 4 wheel drive.

Suggested Improvements

Better stereo, more comfortable seats, better fabric (the platinum cloth in mine is actually stain absorbent - even water leaves a mark). Reliability. I know Subarus are generally reliable, but they do make lemons.