Used 2008 Subaru Forester Wagon Consumer Reviews - 35 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Subaru Forester Wagon - Consumer Reviews

2008 Subaru Forester Wagon

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Best Looking SUV
By Bob Kelley

2008 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The lines on the car are classic, no swoops, triangular windows or forced styling gimmicks. Great visibilty and feelings of safety. Getting 28+ mpg on road. Replaced a Kia Sportage. It's like going from a tin can to a bank vault! Driving it is fun, and the lower center of gravity permits very even and contolled steering. All in all,a great car.

Styling, visibility, drivability.

None, I think they"ve nailed it!

Great Subaru...if you can still get one!
By Matt

2008 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My wife and I were looking for a small SUV and new we wanted to look at a Forester. We started with a test drive of the new '09 Forester. We were really dissapointed. They just changed it too much. Luckily for us, the dealer still had a few new '08 Foresters on the lot. We snapped one up for $4K off of the sticker price. We love the look of the '08 better, and the front seats were much more comfortable. This car has plenty of power and good gas mileage for an AWD car. We couldn't be happier.

AWD, Subaru build quality and realiability, high quality interior

Better base stereo, slightly more leg room in the back (which the '09 has).

Still a great little car
By rickshift

2008 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 X Premium Package 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven my Forester 6500 miles, so it is broken in by now. The gas mileage for an all wheel drive was good from the beginning but now as the weather is warming, I got just under 29 MPG on mixed commuter driving, I have yet to do an all highway drive. I drive into Boston to work, mostly on state route type roads, but I work nights so the traffic is mostly going the other way, at least in the morning. I love this car. Good road visibility, nice sterio system, love the handling, smooth ride eats up the bumps, heated front seats are very comfortable, smoothest shifting manual transmission I've ever driven.I was a little iffy about committing to always having to shift but now have no regret

Sun roof, smooth shift and clutch, cornering and handling, eats up the bumps

Driver window should have auto up as well as auto down.back seat is short on leg room

Excellent value
By Minnie

2008 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 X L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I never considered a Subaru until looking at all the others and not finding what I wanted. As soon as I sat in my LL Bean Forester I was hooked. Everything felt right. I love the AWD, the sunroof is amazing especially at night on our country roads with stars twinkling overhead, the heated seats are great, the wood accents on steering wheel and shifter make it look rich, and it handles like a dream. You'd never think this car is a 4 cyl as it has lots of power. Getting 26-28 MPG with just over 3500 miles on her. I'll never own anything else. My last car was a Jeep Grand Cherokee I had for fourteen years and I hope to have this one as long.

Sunroof, heated seats, MP3 hookup, AWD, trunk tray, nice floor mats, great rear vision with no blind spots, large front windshield.

Forester SXT after 600 miles
By Dan

2008 Subaru Forester Wagon Sports 2.5 XT 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I have enjoyed the Forester over the first +600 miles. The Sports XT trim level changes the overall appearance of a Forester very nicely. Many cool STi features, like wheels, spoilers, pedals, etc. The turbo is a blast! I am getting 23 MPG using premium, but I also flex the turbo at every opportunity. Build quality seems good, the car runs pretty quiet overall, and reliability is rumored to be very good.

Sports trim level, turbo, hood scoop, moonroof, aux input. Stereo also sounds good with subwoofer; you can hear it easily with the windows and moonroof open.

Back seat is a tight squeeze. Rear seats don't fold perfectly flat. Steering feels a little vague at higher speeds. The moonroof is loud if open at higher speeds (cover vibrates). Console could be slightly larger. Lose the obnoxious seat belt reminder beeper, especially when the car is in park!