2008 Subaru Forester 2.5 X Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

2008 Forester Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Sort Reviews by

On my radar since '98
By B Noble

2008 Subaru Forester 2.5 X L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Finally, my '95 manual VW Jetta got tired and I could finally get my dream car, that I first saw debuted in '98 at the NYC auto show. It fit me like a glove. I'm (5'2") and the driver's seat can be raised significantly with a touch of a power lever. Last April when I went looking to buy, I almost had a heart attack when I realized that the design of the '09 was seriously changed (not for the better) and it was bigger I didn't need bigger. I went hunting and had to purchase MY '08 a state away to get the one I wanted. I now have 3,000 miles on it and get 26+ mpg avg. It rides like a dream and I love the style of the dash board above all other new cars (including the Forester '09s).

Favorite Features

Good visibility from the windshield to the larger than avg. side view mirrors to the wide rear view window. Ease of the hatch door to open. The dark gray color and contrasting trim gives a handsome profile. I especially like the dashboard compartment for driver ease of reach.

Suggested Improvements

The arm rest between the two front seats is useless when the seat is moved forward for short people. Thus, I'd like to see fold down arm rests for two front seats it would be that much more luxurious on long trips that I do.

Can't get this car any more; too bad
By osvolant

2008 Subaru Forester 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love the turbo engine. Getting 24 mpg routinely in suburban/highway driving. Leather seats in Limited trim very comfortable and main reason I didn't buy the Sport. Noisy at highway speeds. Very practical for light off-roading, trailer towing, hauling bikes, dogs, etc. with enough zip to make it fun (more sports car than SUV feel). Good in snow and mud, even towing trailer. Manual trans not available with turbo in '09- glad I got mine.

Favorite Features

Turbo engine, sporty firm ride, crisp shifting manual trans.

Suggested Improvements

Firmer brake pedal feel, less road noise, 6th gear ratio for lower engine rpms at 70+ mph.

Accelerator Problem
By Sylvia Lucy

2008 Subaru Forester 2.5 X Premium Package 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

There is one annoying problem that spoils the overall positive driving experience. The vehicle speeds up and slows down constantly while I try to hold a steady highway speed. The dealership ship says all the newer Foresters do that because of the computer settings. Subaru has made a flash program change computer settings for Impreza's that exhibited this problem but haven't gotten around to make a fix for the 2008 and 2009 Forester. I would suggest waiting until they have this problem solved before buying one.

Favorite Features

Small size, good visibility all around, manuverable.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the pulsing acceleration and deceleration problem. It will drive you nuts on a long trip.

Seconds Thoughts
By Pencilpusher

2008 Subaru Forester 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Had a 2000 Forester. Got the 2008 with PZEV. Wish I could go back in time. The car idles wildly on start-up, reving up to 2000RPM then down so low it almost shuts off. Told by dealer this is normal. He gave me a copy of a service bulletin saying same. Suggests using gas without ethanol. Good luck finding that in PA. On 90 degree turns vibrates and sounds like going over rumble strips.Told this is normal, seals in rear end need to seat. Car rattles and sounds tinny. Man, wish I had gotten the Nissan Rogue, even though it was $2000 more. The new Forester is built a lot cheaper than the 2000. Most reviews for Forester are very good. Hope mine holds up.

Favorite Features

Great visibility, runs well so far after initial start-up, handles nicely. Very similiar in styling to my 2000.

Suggested Improvements

Either stop selling PZEV or make it so it runs on the gasoline available in the areas they sell the car. Improve the quality of door fit. Get rid of the incessant rattles.

Best Looking SUV
By Bob Kelley

2008 Subaru Forester 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The lines on the car are classic, no swoops, triangular windows or forced styling gimmicks. Great visibilty and feelings of safety. Getting 28+ mpg on road. Replaced a Kia Sportage. It's like going from a tin can to a bank vault! Driving it is fun, and the lower center of gravity permits very even and contolled steering. All in all,a great car.

Favorite Features

Styling, visibility, drivability.

Suggested Improvements

None, I think they"ve nailed it!

Great Subaru...if you can still get one!
By Matt

2008 Subaru Forester 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My wife and I were looking for a small SUV and new we wanted to look at a Forester. We started with a test drive of the new '09 Forester. We were really dissapointed. They just changed it too much. Luckily for us, the dealer still had a few new '08 Foresters on the lot. We snapped one up for $4K off of the sticker price. We love the look of the '08 better, and the front seats were much more comfortable. This car has plenty of power and good gas mileage for an AWD car. We couldn't be happier.

Favorite Features

AWD, Subaru build quality and realiability, high quality interior

Suggested Improvements

Better base stereo, slightly more leg room in the back (which the '09 has).

Still a great little car
By rickshift

2008 Subaru Forester 2.5 X Premium Package 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven my Forester 6500 miles, so it is broken in by now. The gas mileage for an all wheel drive was good from the beginning but now as the weather is warming, I got just under 29 MPG on mixed commuter driving, I have yet to do an all highway drive. I drive into Boston to work, mostly on state route type roads, but I work nights so the traffic is mostly going the other way, at least in the morning. I love this car. Good road visibility, nice sterio system, love the handling, smooth ride eats up the bumps, heated front seats are very comfortable, smoothest shifting manual transmission I've ever driven.I was a little iffy about committing to always having to shift but now have no regret

Favorite Features

Sun roof, smooth shift and clutch, cornering and handling, eats up the bumps

Suggested Improvements

Driver window should have auto up as well as auto down.back seat is short on leg room

Excellent value
By Minnie

2008 Subaru Forester 2.5 X L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I never considered a Subaru until looking at all the others and not finding what I wanted. As soon as I sat in my LL Bean Forester I was hooked. Everything felt right. I love the AWD, the sunroof is amazing especially at night on our country roads with stars twinkling overhead, the heated seats are great, the wood accents on steering wheel and shifter make it look rich, and it handles like a dream. You'd never think this car is a 4 cyl as it has lots of power. Getting 26-28 MPG with just over 3500 miles on her. I'll never own anything else. My last car was a Jeep Grand Cherokee I had for fourteen years and I hope to have this one as long.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, heated seats, MP3 hookup, AWD, trunk tray, nice floor mats, great rear vision with no blind spots, large front windshield.

Forester SXT after 600 miles
By Dan

2008 Subaru Forester Sports 2.5 XT 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I have enjoyed the Forester over the first +600 miles. The Sports XT trim level changes the overall appearance of a Forester very nicely. Many cool STi features, like wheels, spoilers, pedals, etc. The turbo is a blast! I am getting 23 MPG using premium, but I also flex the turbo at every opportunity. Build quality seems good, the car runs pretty quiet overall, and reliability is rumored to be very good.

Favorite Features

Sports trim level, turbo, hood scoop, moonroof, aux input. Stereo also sounds good with subwoofer; you can hear it easily with the windows and moonroof open.

Suggested Improvements

Back seat is a tight squeeze. Rear seats don't fold perfectly flat. Steering feels a little vague at higher speeds. The moonroof is loud if open at higher speeds (cover vibrates). Console could be slightly larger. Lose the obnoxious seat belt reminder beeper, especially when the car is in park!

My first SUV
By Jan

2008 Subaru Forester 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my very first new vehicle ever just a couple of days ago and I think it is wonderful. I haven't had it long enough to really comment on the gas mileage but my old car only got 15 miles/gal so this is a dream. The SUV handles very well and my children love it. It has plenty of room my husband is a very large man about 350 lb. And he fits in the vehicle just fine. I would recommend them to anyone.

Favorite Features

Power doors, windows, and storage.

Suggested Improvements

As said before the locks should automatically lock when the vehicle is placed in gear. Power seats on all models standard both passenger and driver. When creating a better version keep in mind what people would ask for and make all those features standard. I know cost goes up but it's worth it.