Used 2008 Subaru Forester 2.5 X Premium Package Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Subaru Forester Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Accelerator Problem
By Sylvia Lucy

2008 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 X Premium Package 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

There is one annoying problem that spoils the overall positive driving experience. The vehicle speeds up and slows down constantly while I try to hold a steady highway speed. The dealership ship says all the newer Foresters do that because of the computer settings. Subaru has made a flash program change computer settings for Impreza's that exhibited this problem but haven't gotten around to make a fix for the 2008 and 2009 Forester. I would suggest waiting until they have this problem solved before buying one.

Small size, good visibility all around, manuverable.

Fix the pulsing acceleration and deceleration problem. It will drive you nuts on a long trip.

Still a great little car
By rickshift

2008 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 X Premium Package 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven my Forester 6500 miles, so it is broken in by now. The gas mileage for an all wheel drive was good from the beginning but now as the weather is warming, I got just under 29 MPG on mixed commuter driving, I have yet to do an all highway drive. I drive into Boston to work, mostly on state route type roads, but I work nights so the traffic is mostly going the other way, at least in the morning. I love this car. Good road visibility, nice sterio system, love the handling, smooth ride eats up the bumps, heated front seats are very comfortable, smoothest shifting manual transmission I've ever driven.I was a little iffy about committing to always having to shift but now have no regret

Sun roof, smooth shift and clutch, cornering and handling, eats up the bumps

Driver window should have auto up as well as auto down.back seat is short on leg room

Great car.
By cranky consumer

2008 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 X Premium Package 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

700 miles in. Seats are comfortable on 2hr+ drives. Cargo space is great. MPG is reasonable. Sunroof noise is fine at 65 and only gets annoying at ~80. The visibility is fantastic.

Visibility. Sun roof. Dimming mirror (I thought it was silly at first). Hill holder clutch (thought it was silly, but now I don't need to curse at the automatic drivers who love to stop short of the hill crests in SF).

Lights behind stereo panel get hot; should use leds. Ipod controlled from stereo. Should be able to turn a 12v source on when the car is off. MPG could be better. 2nd gear has a bit too narrow of a range.

Great little SUV, most everything in one
By Rickshift

2008 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 X Premium Package 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have 500 miles on my new Forester, so far I love it! Good power, 25 MPG mixed driving before break-in period, quick & sure handling and that hill holder function is seamless when I use it. The clutch and shift are hands down the smoothest I've ever driven, pleasant, easy manual to drive.The ride is comfy, heated seats are nice, the moon roof is awesome, stereo wth 6 CD is nice. The ride over washboard pavement is just a little hard but it floats over RR tracks with comfort and control and takes corners and clover leafs like a bear. It's an undercover sports car dressed up like a little SUV, winter ready. The PZEV rating is a nice plus for global non warming. Will rerate 5K,10K.

Moon roof, 6 CD changer, smooth shifting, gearing, fuel economy, hill holder function, lively clutch, good power, pretty quiet ride, comfortable seats especially 8 way power driver seat.

The electric door locks should lock automatically when you turn the key or put it in gear. Ride over bumpy roads could be a little softer with bigger wheels or/and tires. Add tilt function on the moon roof. Tan interior is hard to keep clean. Add all weather mats. Steering wheel should telescope.

Zippy, Fun, Safe Car
By SK

2008 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 X Premium Package 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first Subaru and I love this little SUV. It has good pickup and it feels roomy inside. It's also easy to park. I was happy with all the safety features and feel secure on the highway in traffic. I can't wait to try it in the snow. I like the cup holders in the doors and the interior is comfortable. I have only had it a month so I'm hoping its reliable. And where I live there isn't very many of them so it's kinda special.

Sunroof and the heated seats. I also like the 6 CD player.

Better gas mileage would be good, it's a little loud inside on the freeway. And it would be nice if the stereo showed the song playout.