2008 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Fantastic Car! Buy it if you can!
By luvmycar7 on 12/14/11 15:43 PM (PST)

2008 Subaru Forester 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is a fabulous car! I have owned my 2008 Subaru Forester for about 2 and a half years now. It has been without a single problem the entire time. One of the things I love most about my Subaru is its versatility. It gets good gas mileage, but I have also used it for hauling huge items of furniture, kayaks, pontoon rafts, 5 people, all the luggage of a long trip for me and my entire family, and building supplies for my house. It is such as safe car as well. My wife was rear ended while in our in our 1998 Subaru Forester by a Ford F250 going fast when she was at a stop. The car completely absorbed the impact and saved her life. After that, we had to get another Subaru Forester.

Quality problems
By asdf on 08/19/10 10:22 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Forester Sports 2.5 XT 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have now had the XT 'newer' version for a little over two years. At 9k miles the engine seized up! I had poor customer service until I called Subaru's US headquarters and tried to talk to president to complain about the quality of their cars. In the end; Subaru fixed the car. I have had LED puddle lights short out each winter (one time I actually witnessed smoke!) Now, I need to take back to dealer again with separate electrical problems. I would be satisfied with this car if I didn't have to take to dealer so much. The XT engine is nice, and the cargo space is just right for a small family. The fake color plastic bits by door window switches scratch very easily.

A good solid B+
By walorado on 04/07/10 15:35 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Forester 2.5 X Premium Package 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Had a Subaru or two along the way, and decided on the 08 Premium because of a value package. Great vehicle with a couple of small hiccups. Had a minor issue with the AC but was resolved under warranty. Replaced the driver's door speaker 3 times, also under warranty. In fact, the stereo is a real weak point in the car for me. Really lame speakers, and I paid for the "upgrade." Seats are comfortable and fit my rather copious rump easily. Plenty peppy even here in the high country of Colorado. AWD system is very good, but the 2008 model lacks stability control. Without it, the car's rear end can slip out if you aren't careful in the snow. I'd buy the car again, though.

Great Subaru
By Carter on 02/15/10 09:34 AM (PST)

2008 Subaru Forester 2.5 X Premium Package 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Love this car. Right before the major 2009 redesign they were making the nicest Forester they could. Everything about the car feels tight and smooth. I had a 2002 Outback before this car, and this car is much better. The automatic and the 4 cyl. engine feel strong compared to the Outback's weak, noisy 4 cyl. and jerky manual transmission. The interior feels premium, with just a few hard plastics to distract. Interior like a greenhouse with panoramic sunroof; bright and cheery in beige.

The Best Car I've ever had !!!!! Period
By farside7 on 12/31/09 09:14 AM (PST)

2008 Subaru Forester Sports 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I had a Chrysler 300 Limited Brand new, Chevy Impala brand new, a coup deville and to me this is the best car I've ever owned, period. The ride is smooth, the vehicle has great power. I put a remote start on It and a trailer hitch. I get about 26 to 27 on the hwy. The interior room is awesome ! I'm 5'10" and 280 pound! I still have plenty of room!

Not Fancy but dependable
By Soyoung Chung on 09/13/09 10:38 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Forester 2.5 X Premium Package 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I waited for 2 years to review to avoid premature review. Finally, I feel comfortable to say "Yes, it is very dependable and reliable". I don't feel stylish nor luxurious, however very humble and sort of old friend. As other review, engine sounds a bit loud and when I accelerate, response is a little slow/hesitant. Although I am not driving the fastest car...I will be on time and safe! That's all that counts!!! Thank you "SUBARU".

Best For Business
By Computer Bob on 06/28/09 20:14 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Forester Sports 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Can't say enough good things about my Forester. 29 MPG city, 31 hwy, smooth engine, superb visibility, plenty of thoughtful features (except too-small and tightly cramped cup holders). Seats give great support and comfortable for short & long drives. Beautiful paint and workmanship. Easy to do maintenance (oil, filter, brakes, etc.). Love the tire pressure monitor, outside temp gauge, stereo, storage space.

Cold Start
By High Plains Drifter on 06/17/09 17:06 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Forester Sports 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

When I try to start it up in the morning it is noisy and has a rough idle. The shop has a bulletin for PZEV models that says ethanol in the gas will effect the engine this way on cold starts. All gas in this area has ethanol in it. I have had a lot of cars and never seen an engine start like this every morning. Can't Subaru do better than this?

I love my car
By Audrey on 06/12/09 15:26 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Forester 2.5 X L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My husband and I really love this car. It is the first Subaru we've owned, and we'll probably keep buying Subaru cars forever if they are like this one. We've had it for 2 years, I love the turning radius on it (I can make u- turns on really narrow streets). It's easy to handle.

Best Car Ever Owned
By Michigan Winters on 10/21/08 12:21 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Forester 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car is absolutely fantastic. My Wife and I were looking for an AWD or 4x4 vehicle that could handle our tough Michigan Winters. Along with that, we LOVE to travel. This car fits the bill - it can outhandle snowy roads/ slushy roads/ muddy roads better than any truck or sports utility vehicle I know of. Add the fact that I average around 28 mpg and it's quite the vehicle. It's built with extreme quality, which in itself makes it look expensive. It doesn't need the fancy bells and whistles.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.