Not quite the dream car I thought
By Tom on
2007 Subaru Forester 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)
The concept of an affordable, reliable, highly rated, economical, AWD, almost SUV that can tow 2400# made this a dream car. But after 5000 miles I'm somewhat disappointed. The hillholder on the manual transmission is a PITA. It holds when you don't want it to and I feel like a drag racer winding up the engine and dumping the clutch to release it. If you're an experienced MT driver have them disconnect it before delivery. Otherwise, it's $40 to do it later. My other big disappointment is the cruise control, which slows/speeds up on ANY hill. The dealer says it's not supposed to work on hills but all my other cars have. They did a software fix today for the low speed lurching. We'll see.
Favorite Features
28.5 mpg, AWD that you nver notice (except accelerating out of wet corners), good low end grunt and gearing for towing. Good handling - not too soft, not too harsh.
Suggested Improvements
Put in a real cruise control, everybody else has one!! Add visor extensions. More adjustability to the manual temp controls - one notch goes from cold to hot. Allow more than 2000 miles for free alignment.