Used 2007 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Very happy with the Forester!
By BD

2007 Subaru Forester 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car used, when it was 18 months old. It has met or exceeded all of my expectations. It's fun to drive, comfortable on long trips, no problems at all. The driver controls are well laid out, the amenities are convenient, the engine power of my base model is more than adequate. The storage space is great! It's very fun to drive and makes me happy on a daily basis.

Favorite Features

The excellent visibility in all directions; the secure handling on snow and ice; top ratings in crash tests.

Suggested Improvements

The engine air filter cover is very hard to remove, and the automatic transmission fluid dip stick is hard to reach.

Not Bad At All
By ATC

2007 Subaru Forester 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I'm only 5'2"... not a lot of cars out there that can provide me with much needed comfort for visibility... But the Forester has changed it all. It is a joy to drive at all the times but up to a 45 degree up hill to the high way from a complete stop. I have the most joy driving through the severe snow storms!!! Unbelievable control in 6" snow! LOVE IT!

Favorite Features

The number of cup holders and the storage compartment on the dash board. What a great thought! I love the SAFE feeling in a top rated 5-star eco- friendly small SUV.

Suggested Improvements

Gas: MPGs can be much improved. Noise on the highway at high speeds and during a heavy rain.

Anywhere, Anytime
By maineiac skibum

2007 Subaru Forester Sports 2.5 XT 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My wife picked out a silver '07 forester XT Sport with manual transmission. This is an Awesome SUV with an emphasis on Sport. We live in Maine and I work at a ski resort. We put snow tires on the subie and we do much better than many other vehicles. At the same time this car is FAST. The stick doesn't have VDC which is okay because the sound of 4 wheels screeching is a beautiful thing. The dogs love the large cargo area, and the luggage rack easily carries everything else. This car has been from Miami to Maine and has handled everything the way we wanted. If you are looking for a do-it-all funmobile - this is it.

Favorite Features

Huge sunroof that opens all the way. TURBO!!! Heated seats for Maine winter. Starts at -30F.

Suggested Improvements

Bring back the plastic panels on the bottom of the doors. The salt in New England is brutal. And with any offroading come rocks and roots.

Forester Sport XT - Manual
By Gordon S

2007 Subaru Forester Sports 2.5 XT 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Looking for a small wagon with a ton-of-fun factor, then this is for you! Mine has a short-throw shifter, turbo gauge (visual toy) and heated leather seats (to warm ones hide on those chilly Minnesota Winters mornings). Our car delivered us to Colorado skiing, pheasant hunting in SD and canoeing in the BWCA, while allowing us to enjoy the scenery through the panoramic moon roof. The Forester Sport handles all tasks with ease, and the AWD triumphs over any treacherous weather condition encountered. It readily tows (2.4K lbs) with the trailer pkg, allowing us to haul our gear to the cabin and back with a minimum of fuss/muss. I can't say enough good about this car, it does what I need it to do

Favorite Features

The cars acceleration and nimble handling are quite phenomenal for a station-wagon/SUV hybrid. The interior is nicely appointed (automatic climate control, killer sound system), and the Sport has many of the luxury accoutrements (auto dimmer/compass mirror, cruise-control, heated-seats, etc.) desired.

Suggested Improvements

Short-falls on the Sport are primarily of personal taste. I hate the fact they don't allow you to purchase a Limited (i.e., with all the bells/whistles) if you want a stick. I also didn't like having to pay for a leather interior, as it isn't an option on the Sport (love it though once installed)

Wouldn't Buy Another One!
By Arpy

2007 Subaru Forester 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

PROS: AWD, handling, simple controls, gas mileage. Getting 25 mpg, city/hwy. CONS: Lousy brakes, engine noises, road noise, ride quality, cheap interior materials, depreciation. Brakes have squealed and shuddered since new, despite 4 dealer visits (no, I don't ride the brakes). Motor exhibits a variety of rattles and clanks, dealer says "normal." Road noise is so pronounced on hwy, have to blast radio to hear it. Ride is rough at any speed. Seat fabric, carpet, headliner all cheap; driver seat began wearing immediately after purchase. Lastly, Subaru unkindly introduced '09 Forester in the middle of the '08 model year which trounced the value of mine. Going back to Toyota.

Favorite Features

Surprisingly good gas mileage. Nice tight turning circle; handling almost sporty. Simple controls, user friendly.

Suggested Improvements

Everything else. Supposedly the '09 is a much better vehicle, but based on this one, I won't take the plunge.