2007 Forester XT Sport, my 1st and last Subaru
By taun on
2007 Subaru Forester Sports 2.5 XT 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)
I purchased a 2007 Forester XT Sport (the turbo version) with the expectation that I would be getting a car that was fun to drive, reliable, and had AWD. It has been anything, but reliable. At about 44k miles, the check engine light came on. When I went to have the car diagnosed, the dealer said I had P1410, P2431, P2432, and P2444 fault codes showing up indicating that I had a problem with the secondary air valve. That problem, was a $1200 fix, as my car was outside the 36k warranty. At 61k miles, the radiator cracked and sprayed fluid all over the engine bay. That was a $540 repair. Needless to say, I am done with this car and will not be buying another Subaru because of it.
Favorite Features
Likes: Appearance (Sports XT model), AWD, heated seats. Dislikes: 4 speed automatic, premium gas, poor gas mileage, very expensive maintenance intervals (30k, 60k, and 90k miles), interior rattling sound, and other problems that were mentioned in the review.
Suggested Improvements
The stuck secondary air valve is a known issue for Subaru turbo models. This valve routes air to the catalytic converter, but Subaru does not consider it part of the emissions system. Thus, it is not covered under that warranty and is a costly repair. Subaru should acknowledge there is a problem, recall all vehicles with this valve or include it with the emissions warranty.
By kelliperkinsmn
on 01/06/14 12:17 PM (PST)

I too have had nothing but trouble with my 2007 Subaru Forester XT turbo. I had the same fault codes with the secondary air valve, replaced the alternator at 62,000 miles and just took it in today with coolant spraying all over the engine bay. It was on the coldest day in decades in Minnesota (-20). I am so done with this car