Used 2007 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

2007 Forester XT Sport, my 1st and last Subaru
By taun

2007 Subaru Forester Sports 2.5 XT 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I purchased a 2007 Forester XT Sport (the turbo version) with the expectation that I would be getting a car that was fun to drive, reliable, and had AWD. It has been anything, but reliable. At about 44k miles, the check engine light came on. When I went to have the car diagnosed, the dealer said I had P1410, P2431, P2432, and P2444 fault codes showing up indicating that I had a problem with the secondary air valve. That problem, was a $1200 fix, as my car was outside the 36k warranty. At 61k miles, the radiator cracked and sprayed fluid all over the engine bay. That was a $540 repair. Needless to say, I am done with this car and will not be buying another Subaru because of it.

Favorite Features

Likes: Appearance (Sports XT model), AWD, heated seats. Dislikes: 4 speed automatic, premium gas, poor gas mileage, very expensive maintenance intervals (30k, 60k, and 90k miles), interior rattling sound, and other problems that were mentioned in the review.

Suggested Improvements

The stuck secondary air valve is a known issue for Subaru turbo models. This valve routes air to the catalytic converter, but Subaru does not consider it part of the emissions system. Thus, it is not covered under that warranty and is a costly repair. Subaru should acknowledge there is a problem, recall all vehicles with this valve or include it with the emissions warranty.

After 4 Years of ownership, I still get excited to drive it.
By wakeabyss

2007 Subaru Forester Sports 2.5 XT 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Best car I've owned hands down. Very nimble, sporty, lightweight, and AWD is awesome

Favorite Features

AWD, Moonroof, power, space, cargo room, very easy to modify performance. Very reliable and have had absolutely no mechanical or electrical problems.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a quicker steering rack. Easily remedied with an STI rack.

Great Value for the Money
By greydigger07

2007 Subaru Forester 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased the Forester after many months of comparison shopping and test drives and 15,000 miles later, I couldn't be happier with my choice. I get around 27 mpg from mostly highway driving and have the safety and security of AWD to boot! Last winter, Chicago had one of the worst snowstorms in its history. Despite whiteout conditions and huge snow drifts, my Forester got me home and was sure footed and confident the whole time. The car has great outward vision, decent pickup for merging and great handling thanks to its flat four and lower ride height. In my opinion, the Forester is perfect for someone who wants more space but doesn't want to give up the fun of a small car.

Favorite Features

1. AWD is the main reason I bought it. I'm a much more confident driver knowing that in the rain, sleet, snow and ice my car won't let me down. On a few occasions, I've had to make evasive manuevers in the wet and the dry and the Forester handled it with amplomb and never showed signs of skidding. 2. Other things I like about this car is the easy load in for cargo. I'm a bassist and I have enough room to put all my equipment in the back without folding the seats down. 3. I also like how easy it is to see in this car. With so much glass, I have a clear view of the road and blind spots are not as prevalent as they are in other small SUV's.

Suggested Improvements

1. Although the engine performance is quite the improvement over my last car, I wouldn't mind a few extra horses to give the car a little more oophm from a standing start. Merging at highway speeds and changing lanes has not been a problem for me. 2. The radio could use 6 speakers instead of 4. Losing the speakers in the back by the tailgate can give some songs a tinny sound and has left me wondering if a speaker had blown or not. 3. It is just the base model, but the body roll when pushed really hard is a little unsettling. I don't feel unsafe or anything it just feels a little numb.

No more Subaru's for us
By j8509

2007 Subaru Forester 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I am writing this just in case someone is thinking of buying a new Subaru. This 2007 is my wifes second car and we have had major engine problems with both. Not only are they expensive to maintain but they do not have the long life they had in the past.

Suggested Improvements

Make them last past 70,000 miles

Weak Windshields
By emily

2007 Subaru Forester 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Yes, windshield(s). In 2009, after owning the car for two years, driving the car on the highway, there is a crack in the windshield. Replaced the windshield and a year later in August 2010, driving car on the highway and there is a crack again. Had a Toyota Corolla from 1994-2006 and the car hood flew up into the windshield on the highway and there were ZERO cracks on the windshield. What is wrong with Subaru's windshields or window frame? It shouldn't crack so easily against rocks flying around on the highway. It's the highway, there is always going to be loose rocks. Perplexed.

Favorite Features

AWD, great in the Chicago snow and winters. Visibility through the windows in the car are great. Can see everything.

Suggested Improvements

Needs for leg room in the back and needs more room in the front arm and leg areas, also improve the windshield problem.