Update - 1st Subaru for Me
By MB on
2006 Subaru Forester 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)
Had the car since April '06, and after about 6,000 miles, it just hasn't grown on me. The guy who complained about the jerky ride is right -- sometimes it feels like a roller coaster because the engine speeds up and slows down so much. And yes to the skewed consumer magazine opinions -- the Forester X does not deserve a top rating. I don't get near the 25 MPG the others talk about. I am lucky to get 21 MPG. I had a Jeep Liberty before the Subaru, and I can't wait to go back to Jeep. I haven't driven the Subaru in the snow yet, and if it doesn't perform like my Jeep, it's going! Haven't gained respect for the Subaru like I did for the Jeep (owned 4 Jeeps prior to the Forester).
Favorite Features
Slightly better MPG than most SUVs. Crash test ratings and standard side airbags are impressive. These are the only reasons I switched from Jeep to Subaru. Oh, and I believed the consumer magazines when they said how great the car was. It's O.K., but not great.
Suggested Improvements
Fix the engine -- it hesitates for a few seconds when you accelerate -- and this is very dangerous when turning left in an intersection. Also, make it so the doors automatically lock when you start driving, and will unlock when you pull the door handle to get out.