2006 Subaru Forester Consumer Review: Great Little Car

2006 Subaru Forester - Consumer Review

2.5 X Wagon (2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual)

Great Little Car
By retrogrouch on

2006 Subaru Forester 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a white 2006 2.5X with a 5-speed manual transmission, including a rear differential cover, a Class II hitch, and mudflaps. The miles per gallon isn't quite what I'd like to have, but otherwise it's a great little car. For trips with my small family (spouse and small child), I put a Yakima RocketBox on the factory rack, and then we have plenty of room. The power is sufficient, and it's surprisingly quiet on the road. The handling is very good, and the 5-speed is fun. I first thought that the hill-holder feature was only clever, but it's actually useful. I like the clearance a whole bunch, and it's cool to sit up in traffic too. Economical, roomy, dependable, comfortable, and quick. What more do most people need?

Seats, tranny, smooth engine, especially at idle. Cruise control and other electronics are well thought out and executed.

Plastic trim piece at bottom of door openings will pop off if a foot lands on them. As an adult, I've learned to avoid this, but my child has popped it off once or twice. It would be nice if it were integrated into the body better.