2006 Subaru Forester Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Fun to Drive!
By Eric on 01/05/06 10:35 AM (PST)

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I just traded in my 2005 Forester XS for a 2006 XT. What an incredible difference in performance. The turbo version is a bullet off the line and I have blown away some "performance" cars and probably left them wondering what just happened.

Better Than Expected
By Vera on 01/03/06 18:28 PM (PST)

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 X Premium Package 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car after viewing Consumer Reports; safety and handling are definite concerns. The Forester handles like a dream in inclement weather, really sticks to the ground around curves. Gas mileage runs 22-23 mpg, was expecting a bit better but still good. Only thing I dislike about the car is the driver's cupholders and center armrest, not convenient nor comfortable. Otherwise, it's a great car!

Don't get a 2006 5-speed manual
By wlv on 12/30/05 00:23 AM (PST)

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new 5-speed in Oct '05. Problems after 2 weeks. After "cold starting" vehicle and putting in gear, when clutch is pressed in, RPMs shoot up to 3000+. When clutch is released, RPMs go to around 1500. Press clutch in again, RPMs shoot back up. Can put car in 1st gear, and without pressing accelerator, car accelerates to about 20mph with RPMs climbing to 3000+. One time I kept clutch depressed to observe RPMs. RPMs went through a series of about 6 large damped oscillations over a period of 30- 45 seconds. Malfunction is very repeatable. Took car to 2 dealerships. Neither able to diagnose and repair. Safety concern ... so I am contacting the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

My wife is happy
By Happy Husband on 12/22/05 11:00 AM (PST)

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is our first Subaru and my wife loves it. She says with this car, she feels like going somewhere (without being driven). You can't get more praise than that. My wife hates driving!

My Best Car
By Ray on 12/17/05 17:05 PM (PST)

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

This is my best car buying experience to date. Found my 2006 Subaru Forester XT2.5 on the web. My sales "lady" was the best. Too bad she no longer works for the same dealership. Now I know why Subaru owners are very loyal. Car performs and handles like a race car.

Replaced a 1998 Forester L
By toddtas on 12/15/05 12:07 PM (PST)

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

New Forester is tighter and way more fun to drive with the improved acceleration.

You have to drive it!
By John I on 12/12/05 15:13 PM (PST)

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought a 2006 XT. I love it. It is fast, comfortable and cruses on the highway with ease. The agility is unbelievable and when you drive it, it feels like a bigger car. The automatic transmission downshifts quickly and smoothly. I have one problem; my wife drove it and now I have two XT's.

Fuel Problems
By Richard on 12/07/05 20:11 PM (PST)

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a new ‘06 Forester with the 5-speed manual transmission in Sept ’05. After 3800 miles, it has three annoying, potentially dangerous characteristics. The engine races uncontrollably during cold starts after the clutch is released, it bucks when throttle is lightly depressed, and engine speed cycles when slowing to a stop with clutch depressed. The cold start problem is dangerous, as the car will accelerate briskly and unexpectedly to 20 MPH. I haven’t run into anything yet, but I caution other drivers about this condition. The dealer is cooperative but unable to fix the problem. Subaru says all ‘06 Forester 5-speeds do this. They are working on a fix, but nothing yet.

A safe vehicle, fun to drive
By Bayview6 on 11/24/05 15:37 PM (PST)

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 X Premium Package 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Just got back from a 3000+ mile road trip. The Forester cruises easily at 75+ mph and the seats and interior cabin are comfortable. Good reserve power for passing on 2 lane country roads. Plenty of cargo space. Good handling and brakes. Average mpg was 25 would be higher if I slowed down to 60 mph. I'm glad I bought the vehicle. I haven't driven it in really bad weather yet so I'm waiting for winter to arrive.

best car for cold weather
By Martin Weber on 10/27/05 23:11 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 X Premium Package 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My '06 Subaru Forester is far more polished and sophisticated than the '05 Honda Civic EX I just sold. It is equal in quality workmanship to the '04 Toyota Prius I owned before that. The car is simply incredible -- the best combination of safety, reliability, cold weather stability, economy, comfort (surprising legroom for a tall driver) and performance. It is the best bad weather car I know of. I hate traveling when I have to rent other cars and can't wait to get home to my Subaru.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.