Used 2006 Subaru Forester Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Update - 1st Subaru for Me
By MB

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Had the car since April '06, and after about 6,000 miles, it just hasn't grown on me. The guy who complained about the jerky ride is right -- sometimes it feels like a roller coaster because the engine speeds up and slows down so much. And yes to the skewed consumer magazine opinions -- the Forester X does not deserve a top rating. I don't get near the 25 MPG the others talk about. I am lucky to get 21 MPG. I had a Jeep Liberty before the Subaru, and I can't wait to go back to Jeep. I haven't driven the Subaru in the snow yet, and if it doesn't perform like my Jeep, it's going! Haven't gained respect for the Subaru like I did for the Jeep (owned 4 Jeeps prior to the Forester).

Favorite Features

Slightly better MPG than most SUVs. Crash test ratings and standard side airbags are impressive. These are the only reasons I switched from Jeep to Subaru. Oh, and I believed the consumer magazines when they said how great the car was. It's O.K., but not great.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the engine -- it hesitates for a few seconds when you accelerate -- and this is very dangerous when turning left in an intersection. Also, make it so the doors automatically lock when you start driving, and will unlock when you pull the door handle to get out.

Great SUV for average family
By jrm

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We have found this SUV to meet are needs to a tee, it is not for the off road crowd. But it will get the average person anywhere they want to go. In the city it handles the traffic and parking with no problem. Logging roads and trails back to your favorite fishing spot this SUV gets you there where a bigger vehicle would not even fit. Getting to work, store or home in any reasonable snow storm is a breeze. And you don't feel like you are stopping all the time to fill up with gas. This is just the kind of vehicle that you just jump into and go. You just know it will start and get you where you need to be in a safe and efficient manner. After a while you take it for granted.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive that just does it thing and you don't even notice the road condition unless a vehicle near you is having problems.

Suggested Improvements

Disk brakes all the way around should be standard, not part of a package.

Love my Subarus
By SubieGuy

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 X Premium Package 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my third Subaru, my first two being Imprezas that I loved. I needed something with more cargo room, so why not an Impreza-based SUV? I was originally looking for an Outback Sport but drove the Forester and fell in love. She's comfortable, full of features, relatively fast, gets great mileage (for an SUV) and actually FUN to drive.

Favorite Features

Auto climate controls, and the GIANT sunroof.

Suggested Improvements

Put an AUX input on the factory stereo, and the manual transmission could use some tweaking-it is temperamental in traffic.

Nightmare of a car!
By Ray Balker

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Do not even think of touching this piece of junk. This thing shifts like crazy. During a gear shift, the car slows down by a couple of MPH and revs up to another couple of MPH. I have back pain and neck pain because of this. The car talk guys were right, buy this if you want to be whiplashed every day and every time you drive this car.

Favorite Features

NOTHING.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the car and stop skewing the consumer reports reviews.

Dress for work, minus the heels!
By HellOnWheels

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Love the car! Cannot drive with heels, even a one inch heel-almost got stuck when shifting. Too bad, it's a drag for that reason. The moon-roof deflector (optional) is a catch-all for water, and acorns. If you haven't had your "wake-up" coffee, you may end up getting an unexpected shower or lap full of acorns! Shoddy option. Also water stained the interior ceiling because of this. Leather interior had a pungent smell for the longest time. Had to get air neutralizer! Cowhide, not plush. Great comfort on long trips, fast and quiet and rugged! I love the car, although may trade it in if changes are made down the road--2008? We'll see.

Favorite Features

Nice large moonroof, fast pick-up, very quiet.

Suggested Improvements

Raise the pedals, drop the ugly fixture for child seatbelts, make it optional. The moonroof should be a darker glass to block UV rays. The turbo hood is lumpy looking. The side body has too many lines, looks like a station wagon more or less. Could be a few inches wider like competitors.