Used 2006 Subaru Forester Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

I like my Forester
By Venkee

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

The Subaru has very appealing interiors compared to other compact/small cars. It is certainly different from the boring Corollas. One of the best things about a Forester is the visibility. The visibility itself is a great safety feature. It handles like a car and I feel pretty safe sitting in a Forester. One thing that they can do better is the finishing. There are a couple of allen screws projecting out on the frame right behind the doors. Also, you see plastic rivets on the roof. They should have had some way of not having nuts and bolts projecting out and being visible. But, that is a minor flaw.

5 Star Crash Rating, Lower Insurance
By Richard

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

Had the Subaru for 10 months, the ride is car like, but you sit higher, with a better command of the road. Put synthetic oil and get 28 city, full time 4 wheel drive is great in all weather. The 5 star crash rating across the board, lowered my insurance $300.00 every 6 months.

Crash rating, drive, sit high, great quality.

Get the highway MPG over 30 or add a diesel or hybrid. Even more standard equipment on the X level.

Love My 2006 Forester Premium
By Kathy

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 X Premium Package 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I'm very, very, happy with this vehicle. Great handling and no problems with the snowy backroads of upstate NY due to AWD. Getting about 23 MPH on average - more would be be nice. Armrest/cup holder setup leaves a lot to be desired. Replaced the tires and added tint to the windows straight away. Love sunroof and CD changer. MP3 outlet would be a nice touch. Hate that seat belt chime - would like to turn off while just sitting with the car in park. Excellent crash test reviews - love the side curtain airbag feature. Would buy this car again in a heartbeat.Wish there was a closer dealer. A great deal for the money - holds its resale value well. Overall very satisfied. Highly recommended!

Side curtain airbags, 6 CD changer, Climate control, massive sunroof, excellent handling - like a sports car.

Get rid off seat belt chime when car in park. Yokohama tires and donut spare need to go. Fix the armrest/cupholder situation in front seat. Add MP3 outlet. Lock doors automatically when car is placed in drive. Increase fuel MPG.

Fun to Drive
By Analei

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Yes, fun to drive. It's not even a year old and I'm going to pass the 20,000 mile mark this week. I didn't notice how smooth this car is until I got into a friend's PT Cruiser...yuk! My Forester handles well, is comfortable but firm. I hate a boat-like ride or big suvs. I'm averaging 27.5 mpg which is nice. I love the big windows and the cover in the back to cover my shopping bags, especially at Christmas time. All the gauges are logically placed and I can finally reach the radio in a car without leaning over! I'd buy it again if I needed a car right now.

I like the room in the back, the storage holes in the sides, tie down rings. It's like a covered small truck. Good for me and the things I carry. It's very sure-footed on the road. GREAT traction. No more spinning my wheels when it's wet. I live in the city and it's easy to park. Simple, nice car.

Tint on the back window would be nice. Lights on the vanity mirrors are needed. Why no hatch release on the floor next to the fuel door release? Needs telescoping steering wheel.

First 20,000 fine so far
By BNK

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

GREAT visibility. Super easy to drive, back-up and park. Yes, it's not the most comfortable...it's not sold as a comfort car. I'd rather have a little stiffness for the great handling. To those who think it's so bad for your back...did you even test drive it? I get 26-28mpg with about 50/50 highway/city in our warm weather. No problems at all. Easy DIY oil changes. The car does need better tires and a thicker rear sway bar for those wanting performance. Car runs very smoothly and is more fun to drive than any of the past 4 Toyotas I've owned.

Visibility, traction in the rain (haven't driven it in snow), smoothness and size. Very easy to park, short and narrow. I like the height-adjustable driver's seat. Easy to upgrade radio and change parts.Good lights. Takes turns very flat. You won't find 40 of these in a parking lot. Safety.

Need better tires, mp3 radio on all models, would like steering wheel radio controls. Offer a 5 speed auto. Tint the rear windows. Rear disc brakes should be standard on all models. Bring back the full sized spare. Put a hatch release button on the remote. Add auto locking doors. Less rattles.