2006 Subaru Forester Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Repeat Forester Owner
By MaryM on 05/07/09 15:16 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 X Premium Package 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I love the Forester. Living in New England it has been the perfect car for my family -- it performs well in all weather types, especially the snow. Its compact size is a plus when it comes to parking or city driving. Rear passenger seats could use with a bit more leg room but overall, not a complaint. Recently purchased the '06 LL Bean edition to replace our '06 2.5X that was totaled in an accident. Walked away with only scratches from a seat belt despite the wreckage. If we hadn't been sold on its safety rating the first time around, we are now and we went straight back to the dealer to replace it! Held up its value well & when it comes time to replace our other car, to Subaru we go!

Great Car
By Sue on 04/12/09 14:43 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 X Premium Package 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Love this car. Trouble free miles. Smooth handling, quiet and good visibility. No major problems. Outside temp sensor failed and was replaced quickly under warranty. Handles fantastic in the snow and ice.

Just never fell in love
By collmm on 01/27/09 18:37 PM (PST)

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I wanted another AWD wagon after trading my 4Motion Passat & purchased the Forrester. This was a logical decision but a big mistake. No mechanical problems just a boring vehicle to drive compared to the Passat. I love wagons but the Forrester exterior is simply unattractive and the paint is cheap! Cheap looking but sturdy interior finishes. My driving is pretty habitual but the gas mileage varied widely in town from 17 to 26 mpg and had to calculate that by hand-no digital "mpg" or "miles to empty" on the Forrester. I've just traded the Forrester after only 5 months for a 2006 Volvo S60 AWD and I have no regrets.

Good but not exciting
By dereko on 11/30/08 17:21 PM (PST)

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 06 forester 3 years ago and after 46K miles I can't really complain. It always starts w/o hesitation and everything works like new. I have had the occasional engine hesitation; step on the gas slightly and it takes a second or two before it responds. I don't know if this is a electronic throttle or transmission bug. Needs more front shoulder and leg width. The center console will give your leg a mean cramp if you don't use the cruise control on drives over an hour. Backseat legroom is nil. Unfortunately, I'm starting to get the usual squeaks in and around the dash. It's overall a good vehicle but after 3 years it just hasn't grow on me.

Won't buy this again
By julie on 11/17/08 14:55 PM (PST)

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 X L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I went from a Toyota 4 runner to Subaru LL Bean. I am highly disappointed. The leather seats are very cold in the winter until they warm up. Because of the heater design, my legs are too hot in summer and too cold in winter. The air just doesn't circulate down there. It comes out at chest level only. Passengers in the back seat freeze. The exterior paint job is very bad. It scratches incredibly easy. The windshield takes forever to thaw. It handles well in small amounts of snow but not in anything over 6 inches.

Love my Subie!
By Mrs. K on 09/30/08 07:31 AM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

This is the first Subie that I have owned and I am converted. I bought this car to replace a 2004 Nissan Xterra that was destroyed in a roll over. This car is great in the snow, safe, reliable, and fun to drive. My only complaint is the passenger volume as I have 3 month old twins and need the back seat for 2 rear facing car seats. With the car seats in place, the front seats are pushed forward quite a bit sacrificing a lot of front leg room. This isn't really a problem for me since I am only 5'3" but my 6' tall husband's knees are almost pushed into the dash. I am considering trading in the 2006 for a 2009 just for the larger interior. Overall, this car is a great alternative to large SUVs!

Great vehicle!!
By DRE in KS on 08/14/08 20:07 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

This is my 4th Subaru, but first Forester. XT model is loaded with lots of nice options that make it near a luxury car feel. Comfortable and stylish and it will blow the little sports cars and luxury SUVs off the line (not that I would do such a thing).

Subaru Forester X
By Agent_N on 08/02/08 18:16 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I like my Subie! Where else can you get a vehicle that has all-wheel drive and gets better than 29 MPG with mostly highway driving? I have owned my Forester for 3/4 of a year now and have had no problems so far (I purchased it used with 32,000ish miles). It gets around better in bad weather than the Jeep Cherokee Sport that I had previously owned. The interior has some rattles and the materials aren't the best, but what do you expect to get on a vehicle with all-wheel drive for $22,000 or so? Gas mileage has varied from 23 in very cold weather (mostly city) to 36 at 55 MPH. I don't have a lead foot so that helps :) I usually average 30MPG at 65-75 MPH. 70-80% highway & the rest city.

After 46K - still and awesome car!!
By KW on 07/27/08 19:43 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 X Premium Package 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

After 46,000 miles - I still love this car! Down the road, there will be a another Subie purchased; that is for sure. I wanted to pass along some advice. When replacing your tires, do not put the Geolanders HT's (OE) back on, these are not good tires. Subaru recommends H-rated tires; however, I replaced them with Yokohama Avid TRz which are t-rated and seems to do better overall. They ride quiet, handle great in rain and snow, and seem to last. Subaru should have made the TRz the OE tire. I have been averaging 27 mpg overall; best I got was 30, the worst I got was 21. Not bad at all. I love this car, and recommend it to anyone. The 09's are bigger and ride a little quieter

SOLID & RELIABLE ALL WEATHER COMMUTER
By Brian McCloskey on 07/23/08 15:28 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've driven this car now for a year and a half. During that time I've put on 35,000 miles. I should add I downsized from a Toyota Landcruiser. The biggest question any prospective buyer wants to know is: "would you buy it again?" My answer would be a resounding YES. This is a super little vehicle. I don't know where some of these reviewers learned to drive in inclement weather, but we live in New England and ours fly's in the snow. Never a hint of slipping. Creature comforts are average. I wish the cloth seats weren't so prone to wearing and staining. But ours has over 50K miles on it and we've done nothing but change the oil. This is a great AWD vehicle with very good mileage.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.