Used 2006 Subaru Forester Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Dress for work, minus the heels!
By HellOnWheels

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Love the car! Cannot drive with heels, even a one inch heel-almost got stuck when shifting. Too bad, it's a drag for that reason. The moon-roof deflector (optional) is a catch-all for water, and acorns. If you haven't had your "wake-up" coffee, you may end up getting an unexpected shower or lap full of acorns! Shoddy option. Also water stained the interior ceiling because of this. Leather interior had a pungent smell for the longest time. Had to get air neutralizer! Cowhide, not plush. Great comfort on long trips, fast and quiet and rugged! I love the car, although may trade it in if changes are made down the road--2008? We'll see.

Nice large moonroof, fast pick-up, very quiet.

Raise the pedals, drop the ugly fixture for child seatbelts, make it optional. The moonroof should be a darker glass to block UV rays. The turbo hood is lumpy looking. The side body has too many lines, looks like a station wagon more or less. Could be a few inches wider like competitors.

Favorite Car in 40 years of driving
By Jesse

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned this car for only a few months and have put a quick 12,000 miles on it. I have never owned a car that felt more secure on the road, in all kinds of weather. I drive it mostly in town, but also have taken it now on several 1400 mile round trips on interstate highways, and it handles those high speeds and long hours effortlessly.

The handling, which I assume has to do with the all-wheel drive, is the most striking thing about this vehicle.

The only complaint I have is that the doors do not lock and unlock automatically, as I am used to on other cars.

Great Safe Family Car/SUV
By BiggLou55

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 X L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

If you have 0, 1 or 2 children and/or pets, this is a GREAT car. We looked at many different vehicles in this price range and found that the Forester fit our needs, lifestyle and budget as well as being the best of the cars we test drove. The power of the 2.5L boxer is adequate, but not as sporty as we would have liked. If you want more power, get the XT model, but we chose the comfort over the power and we made the right choice for us. Overall, we are extremely happy with our Forester, and we will definitely buy another.

Seats, visibility, sun roof, cargo space, all-wheel drive, styling.

5-speed auto w/man shift, auto on/off headlamps, more interior lighting with sunroof, aux audio jack standard, more power in base engine.

Fantastic car, but needs rear legroom
By Mike

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 X Premium Package 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We bought this car because we needed extra room for a new baby which would be born a few months later. When we bought it we loved just about everything about it. The ride is terrific, the moonroof is the biggest I've seen, the climate control is great. Once we had our baby, we were in for a big surprise - the rear seats are terrible for infant car seats! I tried putting the new infant seat in behind the driver seat (our older daughter's seat is behind the passenger) and the only way it would fit was if I moved the seat so far forward and so far upright that it was no longer comfortable to drive. So now the infant seat is behind the passenger so the passenger will have to suffer.

Steering, handling, moonroof, heated seats, climate control, design, storage room in rear. Overall this is a great car for people without little kids.

If the front seats were designed differently or there was more room in the back, then infant car seats would better fit in the back seats. This is a very big problem that Subaru should address. Also that seatbelt chime is very annoying, like the other reviews say.

Update from Brunte
By Brunte

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Now at 29000 miles my earlier review still holds - no problems at all, and fuel consumption improving, now never below 27 and on long trips above 33 (if I stay at 60-65 mph).

Handling, fuel economy, reliability.

Better tires at delivery, a few more gallons in the tank,