Used 2006 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Nickle and Dime
By misterk5

2006 Subaru Forester 2.5 X L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I absolutely love the way the car drives. The handling and performance in snow are great. That being said, this car is an absolute nightmare for maintenance. Head gaskets, catalytic converter replaced and needs another catalytic converter because no one can figure out why the car is burning up catalytic converters. Have also replaced the coil pack, which was not cheap. I'm going back to Honda as soon as I can.

Favorite Features

As said above, the car drives great. That's where it ends.

Suggested Improvements

How about making a reliable vehicle Subaru! Your vehicles are notorious for head gasket and catalytic converter failures and you do nothing to help your customers out. Repairs are thousands of dollars. I will never buy another Subaru product again. Toyota and Honda know how to make reliable vehicles, maybe Subaru should learn something from them.

Snow machine
By ehibma

2006 Subaru Forester 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is a solid machine, minus the head gasket issues. I did have to replace the head gaskets, but otherwise a great, reliable vehicle. This is my second Forester.

Favorite Features

AWD, gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

More adjustability of the seats. My wife doesn't find the passenger seat position comfortable. I would love to see a diesel engine in the US!

Great Practical Vehicle
By spartikus

2006 Subaru Forester 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle with 76000 miles on it. It runs and drives like a new one! The AWD feature is amazing in the snow and on ice. The interior is a little cheap, but its not bad. It is a perfect car for us as we have one infant whose carseat sits in the middle of the rear seat. The boxer motors are bulletproof and as far as people saying it is like a rollercoaster.....its an AWD vehicle. There is going to be an obvious deceleration when going through gears. There is more friction to keep power to all wheels. I would highly recommend this vehicle.

Favorite Features

AWD, Boxer engine, Easy to work on and do your own services.

Best no compromise automobile
By rootsmanuva82

2006 Subaru Forester 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

The Subaru Forester XT is quite possibly the best no compromise automobile you can buy. The XT combines WRX power, refined and responsive rally-bred handling and grip, smooth ride, comfort, safety and AWD versatility. Build quality is excellent and interior is very "bright" and airy with huge windows and a massive sunroof. Everything you touch is high quality. The XT builds speed with ease and goes down the highway like butter. The only con I can think of is so-so fuel economy. But with the performance you get, its expected.

Possibly the most functional car....not the best looking
By dukedokken

2006 Subaru Forester 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I've been the sole wonder of my 06 Forester XT. There's been a few times when I've wanted to trade it for something different to switch it up, but it's almost impossible because you feel like you're getting less of a car. Pros. Panoramic Sunroof, heated leather seats, handles all real world weather conditions, reliable, XT is VERY fast, quiet, good sound system. reliable Cons maintenance can be pricey